Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New job means a 30 minute ride down a 70mph highway. I've always argued the KVS is a great commuter bike, but I'm now at a crossroads.

Wind and power are the two biggest issues at those sustained speeds. I could do things to the KVS or get another (or 2nd) bike. Asking for opinions... would you:

A) add a windscreen and hard cases to the KVS. ... or

2) pick another bike?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
IMO, the KVS excels at highway riding. Sixth gear at 6,000 rpm gets you 80 mph and it will do it for hours on end.

Adding a windshield though, can be a little challenging. I tried both the Puig and National Cycle screens and they both direct the wind straight into the helmet making the noise unbearable. I'd rather ride without and deal with a little wind in the chest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do a 30 minute commute in South Florida, where you’re doing 75-80 just to not get run over on I95. The bike definitely needs a windscreen. I have the Puig and it does just fine. The Madstad looks awesome, but it’s not cheap. As for power, the KVS can do those speeds with no problem and still have plenty of power to escape when you need it. I do have a pair of Viking bags, but I usually use a backpack.

I went from a 15T to a 16T front sprocket just to drop the highway RPMs a bit, but that’s a matter of preference. It worked just fine with the original gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried both the Puig and National Cycle screens and they both direct the wind straight into the helmet making the noise unbearable. I'd rather ride without and deal with a little wind in the chest.
This is good feedback. How tall are you? I'm 5'11.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'm 5'11 and have the puig. It does help at highway speed. It does direct flow around helmet. When I had a cheap yema helmet my neck was always sore. Invested in a schuberth and shoei and now wind is barely perceptible at 95 mph. Fastest I been up to was 98. I'm a fat ass. 275# I think I broke the bike lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am toying with the idea of a windscreen and the Madstad looks like the best option, $90 odd of shipping is painful though.
I have the Cafe and that type of windscreen sends a pretty heavy blast right at the upper part of my chest. I may remove it and see what it is like without any screen, see if it is less concentrated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went with the MRA VarioTouringScreen, and love everything about it!

When I bought mine, it had a generic screen on it that I felt cheapened the overall look of the bike. After removing it however, it felt like the wind was trying to rip the helmet off my head. So, I decided I needed one. Several people advised Madstad, but to me, it had that same generic look, too utilitarian for my taste. If I wanted that look, I would've just gotten a Harley or some other cookie cutter cruiser. The Vulcan S stands out stylistically, and I wasn't about to water it down.

So, the biggest issue for the screen is, it's perfect for me at 5'8", but I'm probably the cut off, much taller and you very well might have the air buffeting your helmet, or trying to take it off. They do make a taller one, called the VarioScreen, and is a 20".

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Option A, get a windscreen and bags.

30 minutes on a highway is like exercise for your bike. Do it!

Gerry

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my concern is buying a $200-300 screen, installing it then finding it doesn't solve the problem.

On the other hand, there's a Triumph America nearby I can test drive and find out

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess my concern is buying a $200-300 screen, installing it then finding it doesn't solve the problem.

On the other hand, there's a Triumph America nearby I can test drive and find out

I feel your pain, that was something that held me back for awhile. Unfortunately, I don't have any place around that really even has anything to look at, much less test out. I knew RevZilla has a pretty good return policy, so I wound up just taking the chance. Fortunately, my first purchase was perfect.

Good luck on finding yours!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The varioscreen 20" might be the solution for me, I'm 5'11". One question I have is how easy do they come off if and when required?
When I have to go on the motorway to see family then this should be great but I really enjoy a bit of wind blast on the bike when I am twisting around on country roads sub 55mph.

Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
@TOMB, I look forward to seeing pics if you pick it up! As far as removal, you have two handlebar clamps held together by a bolt. Easy to remove. Installation is a little more, there are three points to adjust to find the right placement on each side: at the screen, where the bar meets the clamp, and of course, the clamp it self.

I'm a little OCD, so it took me a bit to get it symmetrical. After the first ride, I realized I needed to ugga dugga the pivot points! After that though, it's solid, even at highway speeds and above.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Revzilla says it requires an additional mountin bracket but doesnt provide a link. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
New job means a 30 minute ride down a 70mph highway. I've always argued the KVS is a great commuter bike, but I'm now at a crossroads.

Wind and power are the two biggest issues at those sustained speeds. I could do things to the KVS or get another (or 2nd) bike. Asking for opinions... would you:

A) add a windscreen and hard cases to the KVS. ... or

2) pick another bike?

Different bike; had a madstad on mine, and saddlebags; but the high RPM and low passing power made me upgrade to a Harley-Davidson Touring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
@TOMB, I look forward to seeing pics if you pick it up! As far as removal, you have two handlebar clamps held together by a bolt. Easy to remove. Installation is a little more, there are three points to adjust to find the right placement on each side: at the screen, where the bar meets the clamp, and of course, the clamp it self.

I'm a little OCD, so it took me a bit to get it symmetrical. After the first ride, I realized I needed to ugga dugga the pivot points! After that though, it's solid, even at highway speeds and above.

Hi Rhyno,

I've found a place in the UK that has them. I'm home in a few weeks and will get one. Thanks for the help.
I will try to get a wing bolt, similar to the picture, that will fit for easy on and off. Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts