Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I have a 2017 650 Vulcan s-My main cocncern is;HOT or COLD-When running 65+mph,Mostly on the highway,SOUNDS LIKE A DRY BEARING. YES,my ride has almost 29000 miles on it;Yes,it's my Main mode of Transportation. Yes,it has a New set of sprockets along w/ a new o-ring chain,&No I did not use Cheap parts,I use Reliable ones! I Change my oil every 3000 miles w/MAXIMA 10w40 semi synthetic. I'm no Motorcycle Mechanic,But I do all the necessary shop maintenance,Valve adjustments......so on&so forth. I also understand that this 650 Vulcan engine is supposed to be a ' Pretty Bullet Proof ' motor, my only concern Is that I DON'T Spin a Crank Bearing and/or a final shaft drive bearing. Even w/the mileage on the bike approaching 29000 miles,I'm sure she'll easily still do over a 100mph!\NOT THAT THAT MATTERS OR NOT/ I know its Not as strong as it used to be (the motorcycle that is)- but all in all she still fires up&gets me back&forth to work 7 days a week,30+miles-Rain or shine,Hot or Cold. I'm Really Not trying to sound Stupid OR Annoying,'Just trying to get as Much Reasonable Life out of my bike as I can. All things considered,Yes (&of Course) I'd Love to have a Bigger bike:BUT ALL THINGS CONSIDERED,it's Really Not a Bad bike,&Yes its got enough 'uumph to get my scranny 140lb. 61 yr.old ass Safely out of harms way-NO I DON'T HOT ROD IT. For those of You That ride in Broward County Florida/I-95,You know that sometimes in Rush hour you have to do 75+mph just to stay out of Harms way!!?!! Again,PLEASE,ANY HELP&OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY+MUCHLY APPRECIATED.......THANKS AGAIN COMMUNITY:)

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
131 Posts
John, my suggestion is to take it to a professional. Better to be sure of what you're hearing.

CMOS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,I thought it might be a Dry bearing too/I CERTAINLY HOPE NOT-'LOVE MY KAW 650 VULCAN S,BUT THESE KAW'S SURE *ARE NOISY MOTOR'S!!!!!!!!!!\And go figure,I keep this bike w/Regular oil Changes(Maxima 10w40 semi synthetic Every 3000 miles!?! & Now that the Florida weather is Back to HOT,the poor bike makes More noise-EVEN After getting off my 10 mile evening ride back on to the city streets;@this point,I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT THE SHOP I TOOK IT TO AND *OVERPAID FOR A FRIGGIN VALVE ADJUSTMENT DID'NT ADJUST MY VALVES AND/OR DID A PISS POOR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEEDLES TOO SAY,Yess I have changed mechanic's&Shop. Also the bike has a Cheap Radiator guard on it;That coupled w/my high mileage,I'm sure there are ALOT OF PARTS THAT I NEED TO RE-TORQUE?!? HOWEVER I DO GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE/THANX:) Just a note;i'm New to these Kawasaki Motorcycles/My last bike was a Honda 250 Rebel(Actually*2 of them/1 a 2009,The other a 2015)-
Now You all can laugh,thats ok-But i will say this,The 2009 had 25000Miles on it when i traded it,Poor bike Rattled Like hell! But i could bury The Speedometer on that old dog,&i could'nt kill it! MISS THAT OL BIKE!! In any event,I Do'nt know what to expect from these Kaw's/ I've been told that this 650 motor is supposed to be a tough motor taken from the 650 Ninja-WE'LL SEE........... &YET ON ANOTHER NOTE,THE BIKE STILL HAS'NT REALLY LOST ANY POWER\GO FIGURE.......... I'll keep EVEYONE POSTED,I HAVE'NT HEARDOF ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS *HIGH OF MILEAGE ON A 650 VULCAN S-pLEASE ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE W/THIS KIND OF MILEAGE ON A VULCAN S,I'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM-THANKS AGAIN:)

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
131 Posts
Good luck John. Kawa's do have very good motors.

CMOS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well,i did find the noise-CHAIN/YES TENSION IS CORRECT\NO,I WO'NT BE GOING W/ANOTHER JT REAR SPROCKET! EVEN TOUGH THE PKG ING SAID SUNSTAR-IT *WAS NOT! OTHER THAN THAT BIKE RUNNING GOOD/OK....... now i'm eyeing a 900 vulcan classic-i like its looks&Think thats gonna be my next ride:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
well,i did find the noise-CHAIN/YES TENSION IS CORRECT\NO,I WO'NT BE GOING W/ANOTHER JT REAR SPROCKET! EVEN TOUGH THE PKG ING SAID SUNSTAR-IT *WAS NOT! OTHER THAN THAT BIKE RUNNING GOOD/OK....... now i'm eyeing a 900 vulcan classic-i like its looks&Think thats gonna be my next ride:)
If your chain isn't tracking near the center of the rear sprocket, you will have a noise there. Only the rollers should be touching, not the side plates. Many times the swingarm marks aren't exactly right. You really should get the rear off the ground and spin the tire by hand to see where your chain is tracking on the rear sprocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts