Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be receiving my new highway bars in about a week( I bought the Barons from J P cycles. l. It seems that a torque wrench is needed for installing the bars tighten bar bolts to 25 ft-lbs and re-install right floor board to 32 ft-lbs. Are torque wrenches expensive and are they tricky to use?I have never used one before .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Should be receiving my new highway bars in about a week( I bought the Barons from J P cycles. l. It seems that a torque wrench is needed for installing the bars tighten bar bolts to 25 ft-lbs and re-install right floor board to 32 ft-lbs. Are torque wrenches expensive and are they tricky to use?I have never used one before .
A torque wrench is really not necessary. I'm not sure why they would even provide the values. Sometimes people who are not experienced and are not very sure of themselves are soothed by knowing they've tightened the bolts just right. Just use common sense and don't crank the heck out of them with a great big wrench.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just installed crash bars on my bike. I'm no mechanic by any means but it was very simple. And no torque wrench in sight - just tighten the appropriate items - but not too much. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Torque wrenches can be expensive, depends upon the type you buy. The less expensive is the beam type which has a scale and a pointer to show you when the correct torque has been applied. About $25-$40 bucks at Sears.

The digital type, you set the desire torque using an adjustment ring on the barrel, and the head will then click when the torque has been achieved. $80-$120 bucks at Sears.

The third type has a dial indicator. Never used one so can't say too much about it.

No serious tool box should be w/o a couple of torque wrenches. The correct torque sets the correct preload of the bolt, nut, etc.. To little torque can lead to the fastener coming loose, too much, thread stripping, metal fatigue, breakage or inability to remove at a later date.

Me, when a torque spec is spelled out, I use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Torque Wrenches Beneficial If Working On Motor Internals Other Than That Just Use Common Sense When Tightening
New Vulcan Rider
Master Toyota Tech
Ride Safe!!! Live Happy!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts