Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
The sidestand has been slowly disappearing to under the bike when stowed making it difficult to connect with my boot and deploy. On my last trip I had to attach a piece of fuel hose to the post so I could deploy the sidestand.

I took the sidestand off and inspected it and its mounting boss. The mounting boss was very worn in the lower-right quadrant causing the drift. I took Hidalgo to a welder who built up the area and smoothed it out. Now I can deploy the sidestand as easily as I could when she was younger.

https://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/997
I've got an issue with mine that's cause it to similarly be difficult, but haven't had the time to look into to see the problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
204,098 Miles

Hidalgo became very sick a few weeks ago and it was determined that she needed a new(er) engine. This thread chronicles the events that led up to the decision: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/50-vulcan-500/301550-low-compression.html

So, at 204,098 miles Hidalgo's original engine is retired and replaced with a newer unit with less than 3,000 miles on it. I do plan on rebuilding the original engine again for reinstallation at a later date but for now she rides with a new powerplant.

Also, at the same time I had to replace her chain and sprockets AGAIN! She has been through two J-T X1R HD X-ring chain and sprockets in less than 14,000 miles. Both wore unevenly making it very uncomfortable to ride in 7,000 miles or less each.

Because of this I DO NOT RECOMMEND J-T SPROCKETS X1R HD X-RING CHAIN. Their sprockets are great, I just can't recommend their chain.

The next chain installed is a Regina XRP Z-ring chain with J-T Sprockets. Let's see how long I can get them to last.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Fork Seals-Regina Chain

Current Mileage: 206,008 miles

The left fork seal has begun leaking again so both seals got replaced, along with the oil. These were last replaced at 160k in 2013.

Also replaced was the throttle 'pull' cable. When I was working on the carburetors a few months ago (just before replacing the engine) I found that there were some broken strands on it. Better safe than taking a chance.

The Regina chain installed in April, 2,000 miles ago, is wearing well. I have only adjusted it once during this time and that was after the initial run-in. Much better than the previous chains.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Current Mileage: 217,356 miles

About a month ago Hidalgo got a Suspension Upgrade from Race Tech. See this thread for details: Hidalgo Gets A Suspension Upgrade

Today she also got her leaking valve cover gasket replaced, valves adjusted, and engine oil changed. I also adjusted the drive chain. This Regina XRP Z-ring chain is wearing well as it has only been adjusted one other time since installing it 13,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Current mileage: 219,441

I decided to replace the foot pegs today. Since I am also preparing for next year’s Ironbutt Rally I am taking care of some of the little niggles that might cause issues during the rally.

The ‘Bank Sensors’ got replaced again too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont normally read pages of posts. Usually filled with fodder. Yours though....I read every single page. This really should be a sticky. Someone remarked that they show respect to a rider that obtains their Ironbutt award. I do as well. I have my Saddle Sore(1500 in 36 hours) that was obtained in 2008. That was done on a 1982 Yamaha Virago that has turned 100,000 documented miles. How many Ironbutt awards have you obtained over the years?

Lastly....Keep riding. Its what keeps us young.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Pighuntingpuppy,

Thank you for your praise. I am just a simple motorcycle rider that loves my Vulcan 500LTD.

Regarding my number of IBA rides, there are seventeen entries on the IBA Certified list. https://www.ironbutt.org/certified.htm

There are some 'nested rides' in there so the individual rides are thirteen, I think. I also have about seven more 1,000+ mile days that, for one reason or another, I did not claim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First, very impressive. Truly. I know the feeling on getting out there and riding. In the end, thats what real riders do.

Second, It was the Bun Burner. 1580 miles in 28 hours and change. I missed the Bun Burner Gold at the time by 4 hours. I dislike when I give faulty info. I completed that ride on September 29, 2008. That was the day the stock market crashed. The only reason I know that was cause 1 day prior, I had a death in the family and I headed back to help with arrangements. I was in Ohio around rush hour and I was amazed to see the interstates were nearly completely devoid of traffic. I dont recall the bridge I stopped on(somewhere in Cleveland) and was looking out to the one lone semi truck heading south. There was not a car on the road till I hit Erie PA.

I was proud when I did my calculations to see that I made my Bun Burner achievement. But it came at a sombering time.

With that being said, what was your first Ironbutt award and what were the details of that? I love listening(rather reading in this format) stories of bikers on the road. Love to hear what similarities we share. What crazy antics have happened throughout the years and so on. I find them completely fascinating.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
With that being said, what was your first Ironbutt award and what were the details of that? I love listening(rather reading in this format) stories of bikers on the road. Love to hear what similarities we share. What crazy antics have happened throughout the years and so on. I find them completely fascinating.
Those stories could occupy an entire thread by themselves.

On my first SS1000 I basically attached myself to a group of five other riders that were doing it. We left at 3am and I got separated from them around 7am at a gas stop. They finally caught up to me by the end of the day, around 6pm because I stopped and let them catch up. :) (Yes, I was riding the same Vulcan 500 that I have now.) That was April 15, 2000. My next certified ride didn't happen until 10 years later when I competed in a 24-hour IBR style rally in New Mexico. That IBR style rally, the LOE1000, got me hooked on competitive rally riding. In fact I have been chosen to ride in next year's Ironbutt Rally and am currently preparing for it.

Per your suggestion I may add a 'Rally/Ride Reports' section to my blog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe we need a section like that here as well. Sharing the wildest stories from on the road.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts