Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
New'er' Carburetors

Current Mileage: 188,036

Hello everyone. Time for an update on Hidalgo.

The last few times I have ventured eastward, downward in elevation, Hidalgo has a light, but uncomfortable, surge to her when running steady between 1/4-1/2 throttle. Depending on conditions this is at highway or low interstate speeds. Comfort demands that I run at a speed that does not surge. Going slower is not an option so faster it has to be. (within reason) The surge is not as pronounced here at home.

I have inspected the carburetors thoroughly but wear items are not being forthcoming. My guess is that the needle jet, jet needle, and carburetor slide are likely culprits as they are the only moving metering parts in the carburetor. Current pricing from my favorite part source, Ronayers.com, has them at around $410 plus shipping. That's pretty steep but it is what it is. Me, being the miser that I am, managed for score a complete carb rack, with only 15,000 miles on them, on ebay for $99 plus shipping!

The carbs arrived, were promptly inspected, and are in very good condition. Installation went well and initial impressions are that they are serviceable. More testing/riding will confirm whether they will cure the surge condition I seek to cure. That said Daniel and I have a ride to Celina, TX planned for next Saturday with a possible Saddlesore if we can get back within 24 hours. (we have a circuitous route planned to get there :) )

That will be the true test!

Ride safe my friends.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Current Mileage: 188,036

Hello everyone. Time for an update on Hidalgo.

The last few times I have ventured eastward, downward in elevation, Hidalgo has a light, but uncomfortable, surge to her when running steady between 1/4-1/2 throttle. Depending on conditions this is at highway or low interstate speeds. Comfort demands that I run at a speed that does not surge. Going slower is not an option so faster it has to be. (within reason) The surge is not as pronounced here at home.

I have inspected the carburetors thoroughly but wear items are not being forthcoming. My guess is that the needle jet, jet needle, and carburetor slide are likely culprits as they are the only moving metering parts in the carburetor. Current pricing from my favorite part source, Ronayers.com, has them at around $410 plus shipping. That's pretty steep but it is what it is. Me, being the miser that I am, managed for score a complete carb rack, with only 15,000 miles on them, on ebay for $99 plus shipping!

The carbs arrived, were promptly inspected, and are in very good condition. Installation went well and initial impressions are that they are serviceable. More testing/riding will confirm whether they will cure the surge condition I seek to cure. That said Daniel and I have a ride to Celina, TX planned for next Saturday with a possible Saddlesore if we can get back within 24 hours. (we have a circuitous route planned to get there :) )

That will be the true test!

Ride safe my friends.
Pretty sure Bill is da king of the 500:grin2:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pretty sure Bill is da king of the 500:grin2:
I can't see anyone beating that mileage on a 500 :good: And not many on most other models/bikes either.
Although my buddy in Key West had 300K on his Harley but I can't count how many times it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Current Mileage: 188,555

New rear tire got installed today. Michelin Commander II 140/90-15.

Hidalgo got dropped in the garage last weekend and got her windshield broken, front brake lever bent, and highway bar bent. I was able to straighten the highway bar and brake lever. A new windshield is in the garage waiting for installation next weekend. Now to refresh the Ironbutt stickers on it. :)

Regarding the supposed carburetor surging issues: The 'new' carbs did not change things much. However I decided to do a measured maintenance of the final drive chain. Lately I have been adjusting the chain by 'feel' and over time my 'feel' has fallen out of calibration to the loose side. After properly adjusting the chain the 'surge' is much reduced. Instead of a surge I was actually feeling slack in the drive-line. Oops. Anybody need a set of carbs? ;)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Current mileage: 190,503

Well the high-dollar Tsubaki Sigma chain ain't what the previous Tsubaki Omega was. This one lasted about half of what the previous chain lasted. (22k vs 43k miles) Maybe it had to do with all that 2-up riding with Daniel. :)

For the past year I have been trying to figure out a surge/vibration issue at highway speed. (between 50-65mph) I thought I had the surge solved when I found the final drive chain loose and adjusted it to spec. Shortly after this I began noticing a rhythmic vibration whenever I got the chain adjusted properly.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I checked the drive chain and found it correct but when I backed Hidalgo out of the garage I looked down and saw that it was *very* loose. Move back some more and it was correct. Move back some more and it was loose. Darn it!! The chain is wearing unevenly!! It's time for a new chain.

Before removing the old chain I measured the difference between tight and loose:
Tight: 1 1/4" deflection
Loose: 2 1/2" deflection
Measuring the chain shows that it is at the wear limit of 12.7" for 21-pins. Some measured a little more and some measured a little less.
See the attached pic for wear of the Master Link.

I wasn't able to locate another Tsubaki so I went with a JT Sprockets X1R HD X-ring chain. We'll see how well it lasts.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Removing Horn Compressor

Current Mileage: 190,613

A few months ago the air compressor for the Fiamm air horns gave up the ghost. I quickly transferred the wiring back to the original 'beep beep' horn to keep things compliant.

Because I had mounted the compressor inside the airbox I have been putting off removing it until now. Today was that day. Remove the seat, fuel tank, battery, carburetors, then finally the airbox. Remove the compressor and its associated wires and plumbing, plug the EPA hose that fed the wires and hose out of the airbox, then reassemble everything.

No real surprises during the teardown and reassembly. Lots of gunk on the unfiltered side of the airbox and it was nice and clean on the filtered side. The battery fluid needed topping up as well as giving the battery a top-up charge with the Battery Tender.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was recently reading article about changing sprocket and chains from stock to change gearing, and how there's a certain way to do it to get a certain ratio so that the same link on the chain doesn't meet the same tooth on the sprocket every time, but moves 1 tooth at a time around the sprocket for best wear. Did you do anything different between the two chains? Could changing sprocket or chain length affect your wear?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Some people spend too much time trying to figure out things that look good on paper but don’t have much ‘real world’ use.

Yes one could set the chain length vs sprocket tooth count to do what you suggest however it would have to be a very specific ratio and chain length. Over the thousands and thousands of times the chain moves over the sprockets there is enough randomness to pretty much even out the wear.

The only time in my mechanical career that I have had to ‘time’ a set of gears (that we’re not used for timing purposes) is when setting up a 1:1 ratio.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Some people spend too much time trying to figure out things that look good on paper but don’t have much ‘real world’ use.

Yes one could set the chain length vs sprocket tooth count to do what you suggest however it would have to be a very specific ratio and chain length. Over the thousands and thousands of times the chain moves over the sprockets there is enough randomness to pretty much even out the wear.

The only time in my mechanical career that I have had to ‘time’ a set of gears (that we’re not used for timing purposes) is when setting up a 1:1 ratio.
Makes enough sense, I was just curious on what you thought about it from that real world perspective considering your vast amount of mileage experience. What chain are you going back with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Steering Neck Maintenance

Current mileage: 190,698

I finally got around to inspecting the steering neck bearings. The last few times I have ridden around town she felt a bit twitchy in the steering. I could not really feel the ‘lumpiness’ of the steering bearings like I could before (at around 75k miles) but felt the need to inspect the bearings anyway.

Here’s the lower bearing race:

IMG_1643.JPG

Lower bearing cone:

IMG_1645.JPG

Hidalgo minus her front-end:

IMG_1647.JPG

There was still plenty of grease so I don’t feel too bad but after 110k miles it is time to replace them.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Broken Clutch Cable

Current mileage: 193,097

Hidalgo had a bit of Technical Difficulty last weekend about 180 miles from home.

I was approaching an intersection when the clutch lever wouldn't release. I wasn't sure what had exactly happened but quickly discovered that the cable had broken. Inspection found that it had fatigued at the lower end just inside the mounting tube. To keep the clutch release arm from becoming a problem I zip-tied it to the cable bracket.

I also discovered that if I could 'duck waddle' her up to a walking pace then I could shift from Neutral to 1st and roll away then rev-matching to shift once moving. I further improved this technique by 'blipping' the throttle just before shifting into 1st to minimize stalling the engine.

Anyway I was able to return home without having to call for a tow truck via a 450 mile detour collecting Bonus pictures for the LD rally that I am riding. :)

Today I installed the (still serviceable) clutch cable that was removed in 2011. The new one will be installed as soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The new cable was installed and the feel of the clutch lever is much freer now.

Upon further inspection of the broken cable I surmise that, due to the cable boot not fitting snug, that dust collected at the lower end causing the cable to drag. The dust mixed with the cable lube basically made an abrasive paste that ground the cable from the inside-out.

Moral: Keep the cable lubed and the dust boots secured.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Time for Another Chain

Current Mileage: 197,530

The JT Sprockets X1R HD X-ring chain has worn *very* unevenly!! It was to the point that I could feel it when decelerating as well as accelerating. One possibility to the uneven chain wear could be that I was 'cheap' and did not replace the sprockets when I installed the new chain. My reasoning for not replacing the sprockets is that the front sprocket only had about 4,000 miles on it (normal life expectancy is about 14,000 miles) and the rear sprocket didn't really appear to be visibly worn.

My research into uneven chain wear is finding that if you do install a new chain on a used sprocket that the old sprocket will force the new chain to conform to its (sprocket's) wear pattern, thereby accelerating chain wear.

I have installed all new sprockets and another new JT Sprockets X1R HD X-ring chain. We'll see if this combination will yield longer life than the 7,000 miles of the previous combination.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
200,000 Miles

It’s Official: 200,000 miles tonight!!

Hidalgo achieved this goal at mile marker 167 east bound on Interstate 20 about 20 miles west of Vicksburg, MS.

This was at the end of a 700+ mile day with the first 450 miles in the rain.

She Done Good!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Sidestand Repair

The sidestand has been slowly disappearing to under the bike when stowed making it difficult to connect with my boot and deploy. On my last trip I had to attach a piece of fuel hose to the post so I could deploy the sidestand.

I took the sidestand off and inspected it and its mounting boss. The mounting boss was very worn in the lower-right quadrant causing the drift. I took Hidalgo to a welder who built up the area and smoothed it out. Now I can deploy the sidestand as easily as I could when she was younger.

https://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/997

61 - 80 of 92 Posts