Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the most miles on their V2k and have you had any major issues.I have 15000 klms at the moment.
cheers

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Mileage or Miles?

Who has the most miles on their V2k and have you had any major issues.I have 15000 klms at the moment.
cheers
zix, them are kilometers? we don't have any here this side of the pond. our miles are a bit further down the road. 15klm = 9k miles +/-? Thats about 9 weeks work down here.

Iv got 15k (s)miles on the beast and she aint got her legs yet. am still tweaking her. lots of mods... which means mostly more taken off than put on. She be down to about 750lbs by now. more to go.

Mileage be another topic. am averaging right a 50mpg each and every tankfull. I get near 300 miles outa each fill up.. and yes I have run her dry a time or two. FYI, she will drink a full 6.2 gallon when she's bone dry. 'spite what the literature says is 5.5.. they lie.

I don't run her hard like some of you hooligans. I have other hardware for banging hard on the road. Moseying and Carving is more my forte' on this big bertha. But 50mpg is an everyday affair. The little yellow light (low fuel) shows up right at 236-250. there be 'nother 1.2gal till its time to call for a rescue.

out, poncho

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get 53 mpg with my V2k if I drive it senseably . Its 11 months old and I have 18000 kms or 11,160 miles on it and it works great . Wouldnt want to be less than 6 feet and 220 lbs on this beast . Fits me great

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get ~45MPG but if I don't go 80 it is better on the gas. I have over 26,500 miles (42,000klms) and the only problem so far is I had to replace the horn.

Went to the “dark side” about 800 miles ago and after finding the right tire pressure I don’t think you could tell the difference. I know the MC tire people can say what they want but don’t knock it unless you try it. If you don’t have the right air pressure it will feel like a CT, my wife likes the feel better and my friend has ridden behind me and it does not sit on the edge of the tire he said that half or more of the tire is in contact with the road in turns. I have been averaging just over 11,000 miles a year and plan on doing a lot more next year now that I don’t have to change a rear tire at ~8,000 miles.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
IM, 53mpg is excellent! I get 48-50mpg avg. I ride 50-75mph tops but I am pushing a harley batwing fairing so that may cost me some gas.? This is one big bike and I am 5'6" at 180lbs, handle her with no problems. I have lowered the front 1.5" and set the rear shock softer. still she is one long bitc..er, bike.

The stock rear tire went at 13k miles and I fitted a 205/r65 michelin hydroedge. I have 2.5k miles on the darkside. This is a 90k tire. I will be pleased if it last 30k.

That POS battleaxe front tire went at 10k. I put a metzler 880 and it handles like a sportbike. a 9ft-750lb sportbike! Also, Slam the front was like adding power steering. huge diff!!!

Got rid of that 42lb anchor... stock exhaust sys and put a 2in1 cobra w/K&N custom air kit so she can breath.

I did some custom rear brake mod work. The caliper now resides inside the swingarm rails and the rear master cyl fits nicely under the right side cover above the toolbox. cake work. makes for clean lines on the scoot. trimmin' down the weight and dialing in the ride. out, poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Rear Brake Mods

Poncho, got any pics of the rear brake caliper relocation?
don't know if I can post pics on this site yet. send an email and I will forward pics direct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I average 45+ MPG by treating 5th as an Overdrive & using "real" gas. If I am forced to use 10% entanol, mileage goes into the crapper - like 36-38. As for reliability, I lost transmission shaft bearings at 16K miles. I am not impressed with a needing major repair at only 16K.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Guys, read the thread start. His is asking about miles on the bike, not miles per gallon.

I only have 6800 on mine. But I just bought it new in March. :D

For all you off topic dudes, 43mpg is what I average. LOL!

Enjoy! :cool:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Guys, read the thread start. His is asking about miles on the bike, not miles per gallon. I only have 6800 on mine. But I just bought it new in March. :D For all you off topic dudes, 43mpg is what I average. LOL! Enjoy! :cool:
Title reads "Mileage". Topic is most Miles. The Source is in KiloMeters. This thread is all screwed up. Welcome to our world. ;) btw, 43mpg? you must have an active wrist?

·
Registered
10 Posts
a lot less

I am in there with Dadinator. 13K mi. and always around 43mpg. I ride mostly to work a few trips. barely over 60 mph. I get around 6k a tire, unless I get a flat. had three flats on tires less then 500 mi. I have a very light wrist. What mods do you think up your mpg. I am looking at going over to the darkside. Anybody got a suggestion. Plus where do you get the tire mounted. I can barely get someone to mount a tire bought from ron ayers. If they do not sell the tire, they will not mount. I rode a HD sporty in the late 60/70 and the only good tire was a wv tire.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I am in there with Dadinator. 13K mi. and always around 43mpg. I ride mostly to work a few trips. barely over 60 mph. I get around 6k a tire, unless I get a flat. had three flats on tires less then 500 mi. I have a very light wrist. What mods do you think up your mpg. I am looking at going over to the darkside. Anybody got a suggestion. Plus where do you get the tire mounted. I can barely get someone to mount a tire bought from ron ayers. If they do not sell the tire, they will not mount. I rode a HD sporty in the late 60/70 and the only good tire was a wv tire.
Rockie, avg 50 mpg from the get go. The first tank or two may have been somewhat less than that. now I remember it sucking down some gas at first.

KEY 1 to having a great motor and optimum fuel and oil consumption performance: Proper Break In Procedure. Not everyone, many, all may agree with what I am writing, but I have broken in more than 16 mc motors in the last 8 years and I get perferct performance and life from them.

1) with a brand new tight motor with New Rings and Honed Cylinders it is imperative that you SEAT THE RINGS fully and properly. The rings will conform to the cylinder walls ONLY when Pressurized. To accomplish this you MUST ride your brand new (baby) bike a bit harder than that Old School method of babying a new motor (worst thing you can do for-to it). By keeping in 3rd gear at reasonable speeds 40-50mph. Put a sizeable load on the motor by accelerating and holding speed for a moderate distance. Then shift to 4th or roll off the throttle and let the motor decel, ie. unload it for another moderate distance.
By loading the motor you are building enormous pressure in the combustion chamber and forcing the Rings to take the shape of thier cylinder walls. The very FIRST miles are the most important. The Honing on the cylinder walls is causing the Rings to adopt thier particular shape and size as a Mated Pair. This is the KEY to having a completely TIGHT motor for the life of the motor and all the life and performance benefits it will yield.
After so many first and tens and hundreds of miles, this procedure becomes less and less important and beneficial as the honing has been polished out.

I get plenty of old guys and new owners (motherly's) that take me to task on what I just wrote. They want to baby thier new baby, thinking that is the key to long life. Bull Crap! Taking it easy on the motor, the rings will not seat fully and properly. They will be sloppy in thier cylinders and allow excessive oil blow by. This is why some motors consume a large amount of oil and dont get optimum fuel efficiency. Old School methods where for Old School metals and machining tolerances that couldn't tolerate these kind of loads. They needed to be babyied as they didn't last long anyway.

Dark Side Tires. good luck. I bought mine from discount tire and had it mounted at Southern Metal Choppers. The only boys in town with enuff cahonies to do the job. Next, get yourself some tire tools and do the job yourself. You will feel much better and don't patronize those girlie-men at the "bike shop". They don't deserve your business.

ok, so now you know. out, Poncho

·
Registered
10 Posts
right on

I agree 90% with the break in. I believe the firt 30 minutes is the most important. Then it is the next hundred miles or so. After the first couple of hundred the break in is done. I was raised on sport and classic. Still looking at the 1400. I rode mine like a sport bike at first. Destroyed my first set of exaust that way. So it was broke in. But my mpg has been between 40 and 45. As low as the mid 30's once (90 to 100 on the freeway for a couple of hours).
I bellive you are correct, I will just have to buy a jack and tools. OR find a private small shop that is not a dealer. That will wait until the back wears out or I get a flat.
That is the other con to MC tires. They puncture easy. Become real unsafe when worn. Plus if I want to ride like a sport bike I will buy a sport bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As for your local shop mouting your tire.

Well I got my local shop to mount the tire, a Goodyear TT 205/60/16 paid $92+tax from a friend at a Goodyear dealership. The local motorcycle shop mounted and balanced the tire no questions asked as I said that in all 50 states I will not get a ticket for having a CT on my motorcycle it complies with all local and state regulations. The one thing that the local shop did ask is please bring the bike back and let us know how it handles and I have done so. I did however buy a jack to remove the tire to help on the cost of replacement and I now can do most of my work myself. If you live in the Denver area drop me a line and I can tell you what deal did my work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 53 mpg may seem a little high but I should have mentioned that is per Canadian gallon which is 4.5 litres compared to the US 4 litre gallon so I would be getting around 47 mpg US

·
Registered
53 Posts
major repair

I average 45+ MPG by treating 5th as an Overdrive & using "real" gas. If I am forced to use 10% entanol, mileage goes into the crapper - like 36-38. As for reliability, I lost transmission shaft bearings at 16K miles. I am not impressed with a needing major repair at only 16K.

Itedcow,lost trans.bearing was this something that just went what were somethings you noticed while it was going? I currently have a problem I think when i shift into second to third every now and then it will clunk a little harder then normal and did you do the repair yourself, my mpg is more like 32-40 on the highway I-95 if you drive 70 your gonna get run over !

·
Registered
369 Posts
i dont have a 2000, its a 2007 900 classic lt, i have 28000 miles on it and had to replace the back tire twice and the front tire once. i have done regular oil changes and brake fluid, anti-freeze and air filter changes. did the valve adjustment at 15000 miles and getting ready to do the 30000 mile mark adjustment. i keep the bike in a heated garage . those are the only things i have done to it and it seems to be running great. the only thing i dont understand is when i first got it i would get 48 mpg and now i get around 40

·
Registered
5 Posts
Itedcow,lost trans.bearing was this something that just went what were somethings you noticed while it was going? I currently have a problem I think when i shift into second to third every now and then it will clunk a little harder then normal and did you do the repair yourself, my mpg is more like 32-40 on the highway I-95 if you drive 70 your gonna get run over !
My problem turned out to be the bearings that surround the transmission shaft - where the front pulley attaches. Bearing was totally shot, with half the "balls" actually missing (just disintegrated, I guess) and a very sharp chunk of metal sticking out of the bearing. I was told that I was very luckt the bearing didn't seize and lock up my rear tire at speed. I was told it is caused by having the belt adjusted too tight. I had it repaired by a local guy who works out of his home. He used to work for a dealer, but got tired of the dealer charging $90/hr for labor and paying him $15.

As for the pre-symptoms: I heard and felt some kind of "grinding" and the engine just didn't sound right at speed. Now, I have never cared for the engine noise of the V2K - sounds great at idle, but just doesn't sound good going down the road. (Just my opinion, guys, please don't blast me, because otherwise I love the bike! And YES I run stock exhaust) As the noise got worse, I thought it was maybe wheel bearings, so I brought it dealer, and told them about the noise. Dealer replaced front wheel bearings and rear tire which was due. Not sure why Dealer would have NOT caught the problem at that time, but they didn't. They told me grinding was because one of my front rotors had a slight warp, but it was perfectly safe to ride that way.

I kept riding and the noise kept getting worse, until the bad bearing let go, and puked all my oil into a parking lot. Of course the Dealer has plenty of excuses, and no answers. Also asked why I didn't return bike to them for repair, and they hope I still "trust" them. Ya right!! I will continue to order my parts there, but am done having any repairs there, and will never buy another bike or sled from them (I have bought 7 bikes and 3 sleds there over a 25 year period. There are 3 bike riders & 2 snowmobilers in my house - THEIR loss!)

And my suggestions for better MPG:
- try to find gas without MBTE (i lose at least 4-5mpg with MBTE)
- Always run highest octane you can find
- Treat 5th gear like an overdrive. I only use 5th at steady highway speed

Hope this helps. Good luck
ltedcow

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys, read the thread start. His is asking about miles on the bike, not miles per gallon.

I only have 6800 on mine. But I just bought it new in March. :D

For all you off topic dudes, 43mpg is what I average. LOL!

Enjoy! :cool:

Nope, it is so obvious he is talking about altitude. I have ridden at 10000 feet.

What do I win, What do I win...oh no Auntie Em its a twister it's a twister....uh..I mean what do I win,,,yea thats the ticket

1 - 20 of 33 Posts