Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vulcan 900 Custom, Kawasaki recommended tire pressure Rear 28 - 32 PSI, Front 40 PSI. Michelin and other tire mfgs recommend using the bike mfgs recommended tire pressure.

Many on the forum have the opinion that higher tire pressures are better i.e. 40 PSI on the rear or max tire pressure noted on the tire (41 PSI for stock Dunlop).

Based on these opinions I ran my rear and front at 40 PSI. I have just over 5,500 mile and the rear tire is pretty much shot. There is a fairly narrow (2 1/2") bald spot along the center of the tire. More tread on the remainder of the flat portion and lots on the sidewall.

This appears to me like excessive center wear due to an over inflated tire. By contrast the front tire (40 PSI is recommended pressure) is in pretty good condition with fairly even wear over the tires main surface. I understand the rear tire provides power delivery and will last less than a front tire, but the wear should be more even along the surface of the tire i.e. 3 1/2"-4"

Not all that upset about the premature tire wear as I want to change out to Michelin Commander IIs.

After noticing what I believe is excessive wear I reduced the tire pressure to 30 PSI and did not notice any significant change in ride or performance (Stock Dunlops suck at both pressures).

Question? Is there any fact based reason why tires should be inflated beyond the bike and tire manufacturers recommended pressure i.e. 28 - 32 PSI for the rear?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Increasing the pressure to many gives a firmer more responsive ride. Factory pressure are good for stock replacement tires, but once you go to a different model or brand you are kinda on your own I guess because long term testing for best pressure is done by us, the riders. This can also be a hot topic such as tire type or oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.