Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks, Im Back.

So, I had purchased a 2003 1500fi nomad in December. When we listed to it run it had a really rough Idle when on the side stand, but when the bike was stood up the idle smoothed out. we decided that it was likely bad gas. Dealer replaced gas and I took for a test drive and all was good. that was a cold day. Friends and I went for a 100Km ride new years day and all seemed ok.

Had an issue with the inside stator being shorted out in Jan. Replaced the stator and again all seemed good. Charging voltages were around 13.9 to 14v.

Installed a kn air filter on stock air box and installed a Wiseco fuel manager (FMC086 set at default settings). Took it out on a warmer day for 150k and all seemed well.

Last week we had a couple warm days and I decided to take the bike to work. While driving along, I noticed that at cruising RPMs there was a intermittent stutter in the engine. This would happen in 2-5 usually right about the time I would be ready to shift. if I didn't shift the stumble would continue until I did. Thinking that maybe it was bad gas, I decided to fill up since I was down to a half tank anyways. Rode the rest of the way to work and didn't notice the issue. on the way home it did stumble 2 or 3 times, but not near what it did on the way to work.

Decided to change the plugs. Put in NGK DPR7EA-9 plugs. Started up and Idle seemed ok. Let the bike warm up and brought RPM up to what I thought would be cruising RPMS as it was too cold to go out riding. The bike was sputtering pretty good at anywhere form 2 to 3K rpms(guess by ear). It would be ok for 10 15 secs and then start to sputter, fan would cycle and seemed to go away or reduce.

At this point, I decided that I should take it back to stock, so unplugged fuel manager replaced old plugs, and air filter. Started it up and the same situation was there. Would idle fine, warm and cold but would stutter intermittantly at cruising RPMs.

Drained tank by siphoning all the old gas out. put 4 oz of seafoam in and fill half way with premium fuel(91). Same scenario

Observations:

The tank had quite a bit of pressure in it when I opened the gas cap after running. It was pressurized and not vacuum.

Plugs that were removed originally look a little sooty but not terrible.(attached Pictures)

Notice that when the pump cycles when the key turned on, it sounds like a lot of air gurgling around in the tank. Is this normal? Don't notice it as much on Friends bike.

We checked the end of the Plug wires where the boot screws on to the wire at the plug end. Trimmed 1/4in to fresh wire and re-attached the boot.

I am just not sure where to go next, and was hoping for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I think we have it figured out. After a ton of reading there were a few things we could try.
1. Checked that when we installed the fuel manager that we did not reverse the connectors. Done
2. Check all frame and battery grounds. Done.
3. Start checking TPS circuit. We went to disconnect the plug and the common wire must have just been holding on by a strand because when we went to move the cooling hose out of the way it broke off right at the connector. The wire was corroded and tarnished. We disconnected the connector and removed the terminal from the plug. Removed the remaining wire from the terminal and stripped the wire on the harness and soldered the wire to the terminal. Reassembled the plug and tested continuity. Checked input voltage at harness plug. Checked resistance on TPS just to be sure it was working correctly. Reconneceted and installed tank. Fired it up and let it warm up and could not reproduce the condition of sputtering. Will wait to celabrate until after a road test but I do beleive that was the problem. The tape that is around in different parts of the harness makes me beleive that this issue was around for a while.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Test Drive complete, Runs like a top, it is a little lean so will now start to tune the fuel. I hope this thread can help others that have had or has this issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts