Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Higher gears now clunking loudly after hard run

I know we have done gear and belt noise to death but after a hard 2500 km run I have noticed that the 3,4 and 5th gears seem to be making extra loud clunking noises as going up and down the range, far louder then they did before.

I did a fair bit of group riding with about 20 kms at slow and extra slow formation riding, meaning feathering the clutch more than I would have liked.

Any clues,
I was thinking I may have knocked the clutch around a bit, the fluid is sitting at the bottom of the glass, if that could affect it,

Or

Could the belt have stretched to far, it's not making any noises and deflection is the length of the inspection hole.

I changed the oil and filter but this hasn't made a lot of difference.

Your thoughts please

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I think what I would do first is check to see where the clutch engages while letting out the clutch lever. Where does the clutch start engaging while at idle and in first gear? If it starts engaging as little as a 1/2 inch from hand grip it's too early. Which means when changing gears your clutch isn't disengaging enough.:)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Do you apply pressure to the shift lever prior to pulling in the clutch lever? My bike only clunks from 1st to 2nd.

Do you think you boiled the clutch fluid during all the stop and go? If your bike is 2 years old it is time for a fluid change in the clutch and brakes anyway.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you apply pressure to the shift lever prior to pulling in the clutch lever? My bike only clunks from 1st to 2nd.

Do you think you boiled the clutch fluid during all the stop and go? If your bike is 2 years old it is time for a fluid change in the clutch and brakes anyway.
It wouldn't suprise me if the fluid boiled it was stinkin hot and about 1300 bikes trying to get out of the city.

Mine normally only clunked 1st and 2nd now its all gears.

The clutch engagement is about halsway and doesn't appeared to have altered.

If I judge the revs right and change with steady pressure (about 1900 ) I can sometimes get them back in with no clunk.

I'll change the fluid and see what happens. Thanks for you thoughts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts