Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Vulcan 750 and I can’t get it to idle less than 3200 rpms with the idle screw taken all the way out. What is my problem??????

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Right now the problem is that your "idle" screw is out. Hopefully you know the exact amount of turns it took you to remove it so that you can re-install it. If not, then as a baseline install it all the way in (do not CRANK it in just lightly until it stops) then back it out perhaps two full turns. This may not wind up being the final adjustment but you'll at least know where it is.

Sounds to me like you have a sticking throttle cable. Read up on how to lubricate it and also lube the return cable, too. Its not fun to do on this bike.

Did it just suddenly start doing this or did you just get the bike as-is?

Good luck to you and let us know what happens, please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would it matter to remember how many screws it took to unscrew the idle adjustment screw??? If it’s all the way out and idling at 3200rpm I’m not putting it back in to make it idle higher. Bought bike as is.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The idle screw's only function is to keep the carb open enough to run at low rpm. Otherwise it'll close up completely and shut off. By turning the black plastic knobs counter-clockwise the idle speed should slow down. Turning it clockwise speeds it up. Around 1100 is the desired idle speed showing on your tach.

With the engine running turn the knob in whatever direction so as to get whatever effect you're looking to achieve. Twist the knob some, blip the throttle and see how it settles down, then repeat as necessary.

By removing it the carbs should have shut off, not sped up. This is another reason why I suspect the throttle cables.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You could also simply have some crud in the carbs physically interfering with the function of the beast. I'd run a good dose (read the can's instructions) of SeaFoam through the tank to help clean up the innards.

I actually prefer carbs over fuel injectors since, to me, at least I can work on a carb.

One last question for now: Does the thing speed up or drop down when you turn the handlebars either way? If so that's a further indication of cables sticking. Its quite possible that they've never been lubed. For that matter, is the return cable functioning at all? (I know. That's two questions.)

If the return cable is broken, for instance, then it'll have to be replaced before you can really proceed further.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Ask your questions in the 750 forum where other owners can assist you as not
all read the new intro section.

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts