Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else think that on the Vulcan 900 when your going about 70 on the highway, that the rpm's sound to high in top gear? It seems like there should be another gear.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Yup, and a bit of vibration too... :p It's normal for the 900.

You end up getting used to it, as the engine still has a LOT to give (up to 120 or so before the rev limiter kicks in, or so I've heard), but I definitely would have loved to see a 6th gear, overdrive style.

There are a couple of pulley options available for the 900's that will help at the higher speeds, but take away a bit of the torque on the lower end, but really, as I said before, you end up getting used to it, and the engine was kinda built for it. :) I ended up getting some gel-palm riding gloves to alleviate some of the vibes that come up into the bars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tend to be a very huge proponent of low RPM cruising. I bought the front pulley, and with that I'm getting the same RPMs at 55 as I used to at 50. Better, but still not enough. Personally it drives me nuts because the RPMs at 55 now are exactly where I'd shift again. I find myself kicking for a nonexistent 6th gear several times a ride. I'm considering the rear pulley, but it's insanely expensive and lets face it, the 900 is slow enough as it is. I'll more likely just save the $350 and put it towards a bigger bike when I can afford it

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I used to think it sounded (and felt) pretty wound up at 70, too. Then I took it up to 85 a couple of times. Now it feels OK at 70. I don't know if anything changed with the bike (I doubt it), or I just got used to it. As has been stated, apparently the engine is designed to take high RPMs in stride. And lets face it, we're not riding 1600cc touring bikes. What we gain in handling and response around town we sacrifice a little on the interstate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used to think it was a problem too. I have about 2000 miles on my brand new 900 LT. I think it is loosening up abit (I know the gas mileage has gone up considerably in the last few hundred miles), or I am getting used to it. 65-70 there is alot of vibration- or maybe it is just the frequency of the vibration at that speed that bothers me. I cruise at 80 indicated (74 actual) and it is very comfortable. Bigger bike? I am getting a voyager, because to put all I want on the 900 I will have as much money in it as a voyager, and then my girlfriend would have nothing to ride. However, the 900 is a great bike- a shadow1100, v-star 1300, vulcan 1500, has nothing on the new 900s in a drag starting at 0 or 60 or 80!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm considering the rear pulley, but it's insanely expensive and lets face it, the 900 is slow enough as it is.
?? I don't have any problems keeping up with (or ahead) of quite a few comparable bikes. Yamaha 1100, Honda's 1300, Suzuki's 800, Sportsters... in fact, messing around with a guy on one of the Sportster 1200's, I actually walked away from him with a rolling start at 30... and when comparing the 900 I bought to a VStar 1100 I was looking over, the guy at the dealership even said, "Both of 'em are nice bikes, and this Yamaha has a little more bling
already, but between you and me? This Vulcan will run circles around that thing." I actually bought the Vulcan for less, so I know he wasn't just stuffing my shirt for the money.

Hoping you're talking about the loss of low end torque after the front pulley install? And even then, it shouldn't be THAT slow. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have outran a few harleys including a sportster 1200. I also edged out a vtx 1300 with pipes and a filter to 105 mph and 120 he had about a car length on me. I only had cobra pipes then

·
Registered
339 Posts
You do get used to the revs after a while. Mine vibrates a little at 70 and then smooths out above that. I have been able to keep up with anyone that I have ridden with, 1100 Shadow and any Harley etc... :D I don't ever have to drop a gear to pass on the highway so the power is there you just have to get used to the way the 900 runs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
?? I don't have any problems keeping up with (or ahead) of quite a few comparable bikes. Yamaha 1100, Honda's 1300, Suzuki's 800, Sportsters... in fact, messing around with a guy on one of the Sportster 1200's, I actually walked away from him with a rolling start at 30... and when comparing the 900 I bought to a VStar 1100 I was looking over, the guy at the dealership even said, "Both of 'em are nice bikes, and this Yamaha has a little more bling
already, but between you and me? This Vulcan will run circles around that thing." I actually bought the Vulcan for less, so I know he wasn't just stuffing my shirt for the money.

Hoping you're talking about the loss of low end torque after the front pulley install? And even then, it shouldn't be THAT slow. :D

Nah.. it's not necessarily "slow," I just like to go fast :D I actually didn't notice hardly any loss in low end with the pulley install, which was a nice surprise contrary to what I'd heard

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the beginning I had issues with the rpm's at highway speed, but after a year things seemed to smooth out a bit..(or maybe I just got used to it..) anyway I just added a front belt pulley to help this condition and I'm so happy with the overall subtle changes this creates.The rpm's are a bit lower, but I'm also running true speed on the speedo..all gear changes are extended a bit and are smoother due to less engine braking..I don't feel I sacrificed anything, but got the gearing Kawasaki should have done.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Would going with a larger size tire help with this too? I can't believe this bike can do 120. With the shield on I haven't gone over 95. I have aftermarket pipes have no idea which ones, I have a Cobra Fi2000 computer, but don't have intake. Just stock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A taller tire would effect rpm at a given distance covered. A 180/70/15 is not as tall or wide as a 200/70/15. The middle number is the aspect ratio of the tire in this case. 70 is 70% of 200 which is more than 70% of 180. Thats my understanding on it.
For this to change a speedometer the speedo would have to be measuring rpm at the wheel rather than rpm off the engine/trans. None the less the rpm are lower on a taller tire for any given distance covered.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have gotten my 900 custom up to 115 with no windshield and bone stock. It felt like it wanted to go faster but I didn't so let back off. Also does anyone know how hard of an install the front pulley is/about how long does it take.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got the overdrive pulley and will install it soon. I'll let you know but I think I'm looking at less than 2hrs install time.

Just as a test I wanted to see the difference between overdrive and no overdrive. I ran it up close to the rpm limit to see what my speed was before the pulley install.
1st gear 40mph
2nd gear 60mph
3rd gear 80 mph
Keep in mind that the speedo isn't accurate yet and it will be much closer with the new pulley.
I didn't bother to go any further. You can certainly rap these bikes out a lot. I never hit the rev limiter.
I'll post the new numbers with the overdrive pulley soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Installed the Scootworks front pulley in 50 minutes. The difference is very satisfying. No real apparent loss of low end torque and a big difference in rpms at 50+. Cruising at 70-75 is much more comfortable.
Assuming that the speedo is reading more accurately I would say you could add about 5-8 MPH to my previous speeds posted.
All in all a great way to improve the bike IMHO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've been thinking about the scoot front pulley and am pretty sure that its going to be my next purchase.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Speed & Handling

I havent had my 09 vulcan 900 long but I have a couple comments.. First of all, my 2004 R6 will SMOKE it.. Thats fine.. I think the Vulcan handles much better in the turns around 30-55 mph.. It has seemed shaky over 60 on the highway but that depends on the thickness of the air out there.. Clear days, its so smooth.. Around short street corners, my custom seems to drop into potholes and thud.. Small front tire, thats all cool.. Over all, I love this bike so far.. Would the MEAN STREAK be a better bike??? Yeah but is it worth twice the price when you cant even wheelie it?? Comon, were talking street bikes here.. The Vlulcan 900 Custom is so sweet stock, I only regret I need some sun to see the paint job I have..

On another note, do I NEED the commander for the Cobra Sweeps or not???? Be real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
the 900 is slow enough as it is.
...you're telling that to a guy who traded in a 650r on it. I can't say Kawi's sporty standard motorcycle is super fast or anything, but compared to the 900, no contest, unless it's some 35mph top gear acceleration test.

The 900 is a nice bike though, light enough to have fun with in turns, and reasonably quick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems like comparing cruisers to Sports bikes is apples and oranges. Of course the sporties blow the imaginary doors off the cruisers. But sporties can't cruise either. Two totally different tools if you ask me. If you want speed don't buy any cruiser.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts