Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there be any long term effects riding my 900 custom on the highway with rpm s running a little high it seems.From wjhat ive heard this bike has high rpms at 70 mph and on will it hurt the bike riding at 80 alot or is it made to handle the speeds It is a brand new 2009 Im just wondering???

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Will there be any long term effects riding my 900 custom on the highway with rpm s running a little high it seems.From wjhat ive heard this bike has high rpms at 70 mph and on will it hurt the bike riding at 80 alot or is it made to handle the speeds It is a brand new 2009 Im just wondering???
realise the speedo is out of wack, 120 kms (75mph) is really only 110kms (68mph) or there abouts, at a true 75mph it sure sounds busy, i run 65 mph (gps speed) all day, 2 up hauling a trailer, full synthetic oil, no problems, over 65 the gas mileage sucked, (plus Im on a ride, not a race track) i put a scootworks front pulley on it recently, just seems to be a much nicer bike to ride, lower revs, true speedo reading. My sportbike runs 6000 at 62mph, but the again it redlines at 13500, makes my vn seem like a tractor LOL

·
Registered
953 Posts
long term effects may include wrinkles from your perma grin, haha. Just kidding i run mine 70-80 and i havent seen any side effects. I think i might pick me up a scoot works pully, ive heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Scootworks overdrive pulley can help pull the RPM's down some along with correcting the speedometer. They have one for both the front and rear. The front is more affordable. The RPM's that used to move me at 63-64 mMPH now move me 70 MPH. If you do a search on it you can find some good postings.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
How many miles are on your bike? I ask because somewhere along the line mine mellowed out a little. It's still a little wound up at highway speeds, but it doesn't sound like it could fly apart.

Also, when I replaced the tires I put a 170/80 on the rear. It has an ever so slightly larger profile. I don't know if this helped any with the revs (the "mellowing" occured before I did the tires), but I think it brought the speedometer a little closer to true.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My other bike (VRSC) runs about 4K @ 75. That used to(!) sound kinda "busy" to me also- but considering that bike has a 9K redline, and the motor is quite happy to run at those lofty RPMs for looong blasts waaaaaay past the speed limit - I just put the "giveacrap" switch back in the "don't" position....

When I first bought my D and took it out on the "super slab", I thought I'd made a horrible mistake...:mad: Even with its "see no evil" tach...I thought the dang thing was going to start slinging parts out onto the road!!:eek:
The VN900 is happier on a two-lane road @ 65---no bout a doubt it, but the motor seems to do just fine at 70-75 (so far) and people on this forum haven't had many problems getting years of reliable service out of the bike - on and off the interstate. This bike has been around since '06. If the interstate jocks out there were breaking motors, we'd have heard about it by now, and Kawasaki dealers would have shelves full of replacement engines in their service departments.

I think I'll just leave MY "giveacrap" switch in the "don't" position for now...:D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
A pulley upgrade, or a larger (slightly) back tire will help a bit, but I cruise around at 70mph quite often with no ill effects. Can't see where 80 would be that much harder on the bike, other than the fact it might start to magnetize and attract speed citations... :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
Redline on the bike is 7200. 70 mph with scoots pulley is just under 4000. At that rpm your nowhere near lugging which builds heat and you're no where near valve floating, right in the meat of the power band really. Without the pulley just bumps it up several hundred rpm with no problems.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Have had mine for over three years and am usually running about 80mhp on the speedo. Most of my riding is on the freeway were the speed limit is 70mph and 80 on the bike is more like mid 70's real time speed. I have had my bike up to 115mph more than once and no issues but I do hate the way it sounds and vibrates at 65mph or 70mph with the front sw pulley. The SW front pulley will give you a small noticeable increase but you only gain about 5 miles per shift. I'm sure running both you can cruise up to 75 mph real speed with the engine more relaxed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Changing the pulley is a way to decrease RPM's. Personally, I have had no side effects of riding on highways at high rpms for long durations. The only down side i experienced was increased vibration... obviously that's normal, but other than that i don't think you have anything to worry about

1 - 13 of 13 Posts