Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I got a vulcan s 650 abs 2019. I installed a delkevic carbon fiber round muffler exhaust this summer. I started noticing that when i start the engine the RPM goes high at around 5 -7 k and im not even accelerating it. It didnt used to do that back when i had the stock muffler. Is it normal ? Do i have to put a booster plug or power commander or something else to correct that ?

Thanks alot !

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's normal for your bike to high idle when it first starts, especially when it's cold out (circulates and heats oil faster, gets to operating temp quicker = less engine wear). But 5-7k is really high. Normal high idle should probably be around 1.5-2k.

What else did you change? Possible you created a vacuum leak somewhere? Does it drop back down to 950-1000 eventually? How long?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's normal for your bike to high idle when it first starts, especially when it's cold out (circulates and heats oil faster, gets to operating temp quicker = less engine wear). But 5-7k is really high. Normal high idle should probably be around 1.5-2k.

What else did you change? Possible you created a vacuum leak somewhere? Does it drop back down to 950-1000 eventually? How long?

I did change the mirrors, i putted the new mirrors on the side of the handles. In order to do that i had to heat the handles to remove the glue inside of them and be available to put the new mirrors on the side of the handles. Other than that my RPM goes back down after a minute or when i force down the acceleration handle. It didnt used to do that before those 2 changes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you force down the throttle? As in twist it forward? Sounds like maybe you got some glue or something between the throttle tube and the bar and it's sticking open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you force down the throttle? As in twist it forward? Sounds like maybe you got some glue or something between the throttle tube and the bar and it's sticking open.

Yea when i force it down the throttle the RPM goes back to normal but when i release it, it goes back to 5-7 k. I have to hold downthe throttle for like a minute and it stops doing that afterwards, its really on thr beginning when i start my engine that it starts going crazy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did you mess with the throttle or idle cable adjustments? Could be maybe your throttle cable is way too tight.

The throttle cable is going to be the front cable, the idle/return is the back cable coming out of the throttle.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How does the throttle get up to begin with? You shouldn't need to use the throttle at all to start the motor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
How does the throttle get up to begin with? You shouldn't need to use the throttle at all to start the motor.
Of the throttle cable is adjusted super tight, it would probably pull the butterfly open as if twisting the throttle while at rest. Which is why I think that's the OP's issue.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
or could have inadvertently stretched or altered the cable routing while putting on the mirrors. Since it goes back to normal when you close the throttle I would start there. If that does not provide the solution , you may have an issue on the injectors where the throttle plate is. spraying some lubricant there may resolve the issue. But first look at the throttle adjustment ( as mentioned above) and the cable routing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you get a tune when the pipe was installed?
  1. No didnt, that was my main question. Do i need a dyno tune or something ? Im chcking the throttle cable right now and hope to fix it. Otherwise the tune might so the trick ?

·
Registered
791 Posts
This as told by you tells the story -
"Yea when I force it down the throttle the RPM goes back to normal but when i release it, it goes back to 5-7 k. I have to hold down the throttle for like a minute and it stops doing that afterwards, its really on the beginning when i start my engine that it starts going crazy "

When you made the change you messed something up!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi guys,
I got a vulcan s 650 abs 2019. I installed a delkevic carbon fiber round muffler exhaust this summer. I started noticing that when i start the engine the RPM goes high at around 5 -7 k and im not even accelerating it. It didnt used to do that back when i had the stock muffler. Is it normal ? Do i have to put a booster plug or power commander or something else to correct that ?

Thanks alot !
not to sound stupid/What state and/or Country are you in?\ I could be wrong(?),but when you put a Performance exhauast on a bike,I Beleive you have to usually have the carbs re-jetted? I'd check w/ my local bike shop tech-Also, being a 2019, it Could be something as easy as a computer adjustment to your bike? Hope that helps:)........:geek:

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
not to sound stupid/What state and/or Country are you in?\ I could be wrong(?),but when you put a Performance exhauast on a bike,I Beleive you have to usually have the carbs re-jetted? I'd check w/ my local bike shop tech-Also, being a 2019, it Could be something as easy as a computer adjustment to your bike? Hope that helps:)........:geek:
No carbs on the KVS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had this same thing happen with my KVS... no related mods, happens most in cold temperatures but isn't consistent, hand isn't even on the grip (throttle is closed). Opening/revving the throttle like you used to do with a car to get it to settle (aging myself, aren't I?), makes no difference. When I just wait, it settles to a normal idle in a while (feels like a minute or 2, but is probably 20-30 seconds, or less... just feels like forever because it's racing!). What I've been doing lately is just shut 'er off... when I re-start it usually goes back to normal idle. I mentioned it to the dealer when I had it in for service when it first started happening, but of course it didn't do it for them and they had no idea what it would be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had with the sub throttle valve sensor. Get down on the right hand side of the bike, and look at the throttle valve. You should see how the throttle turns, and also a teardrop shaped piece which can adjust the throttle by pressing against a pin.
Watch this as you turn on the ignition and it should move and settle back into position. Watch it again as you start the bike, and if that is forcing the throttle too high, it might be a position sensor problem like I had.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts