Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 months back I replaced the stator on my 2007 900 Custom. Since then I've had to pop off the generator cover to try to fix a persistent oil leak. A week ago I did this again, and while the leak is gone, I now have this high-pitched whine coming out of the bike. It increases in pitch until I shift, drops down, and then increases again through each gear. After searching through the forums, I am seeing other people with this issue and the recommendation that it is the stator going bad (which sucks :mad:). What is weird is that this whine seems to disappear after the engine warms up and I've traveled for while. Thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did not pinch a stator wire when you replaced the cover?
The wires are surrounded by a thick rubber sheath that is formed around the wires. The sheath then fits into a slot on the cover formed for it. No chance of a pinch there.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If it happened after you had the cover off, then I am guessing that you have a stator wire shorted to ground somewhere. Although not out of the question, it would be fairly remote that the stator failed at exactly the same time that the cover was taken off.
To check, unplug stator wires from reg/rect and check for continuity to ground from the three white wires. This test is not 100% as the problem could be vibration sensitive.

Post back with your results.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
About 4 months back I replaced the stator on my 2007 900 Custom. Since then I've had to pop off the generator cover to try to fix a persistent oil leak. A week ago I did this again, and while the leak is gone, I now have this high-pitched whine coming out of the bike. It increases in pitch until I shift, drops down, and then increases again through each gear. After searching through the forums, I am seeing other people with this issue and the recommendation that it is the stator going bad (which sucks :mad:). What is weird is that this whine seems to disappear after the engine warms up and I've traveled for while. Thoughts? :confused:
Bassman is the whine present when the bike is stationary and you bring the revs up?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bassman is the whine present when the bike is stationary and you bring the revs up?
Yes. I can have the clutch in, pull on the throttle, and I'll hear the whine increase with the RPMs.

Sfair - I have not had a chance to check for grounding. I expect to have results from that in a few days. Holiday stuff has be running like crazy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Results

Ok. Its been a while, but I finally had a chance to check. The holidays have been nuts and I couldn't work on the bike. I finally traced it to one of the wires from the new stator. It had come loose from its crimp at the point where it connected to the old harness. The wire was up against the frame and shorting out. Recrimped and all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Ok. Its been a while, but I finally had a chance to check. The holidays have been nuts and I couldn't work on the bike. I finally traced it to one of the wires from the new stator. It had come loose from its crimp at the point where it connected to the old harness. The wire was up against the frame and shorting out. Recrimped and all is well.
Glad to hear you sorted your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts