Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i went for a ride last night, and started to hear some high pitched sounds. Needless to say i was [email protected] I was like "aw man" and thinking that it may have been the stator. I just got the bike Wednesday. I take it for a ride today (this time without earbuds in my ears) to try and diagnose, and notice that it is only happening when i roll on the throttle. so i was a little relieved but unsure. I called up the dealer where i got the bike from, and they agreed to fix the issue so that was a little bit of a load off my back. I then go back to the bike to inspect because i remember someone saying something about the tic marks on the frame and something to the effect that if the pulleys aren't aligned correctly and/ or the belt is too tight then you will hear a high pitch whirly sound. Bingo! the side and right side are not on the same tic mark, so i believe that i can safely deduce that the pulleys are not aligned correctly. i hope that i am explaining myself sufficiently, i don't remember te exact details and names of things

·
Registered
165 Posts
That could be it, or it could be 1 of the 10,000 noises the 900's make. I swear I hear new noises on a daily basis on my 900. It never hurts to check things but don't be all that surprised if you don't find any problems.

I thought my old sportster was noisy, the 900 puts it to shame.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
From my recent experience, sounds like you're spot on. Mine started making a clunking noise last week. After describing it on this forum, the guys nailed it...front pulley warped or out of alignment. Plus it was starting to chew up my belt. I decided to replace the belt and pulley, $608 for parts alone. The guy who checked it out said when the Kawasaki dealer who installed my Scootworks pulley tightened the belt, he made it way to tight. The mechanic said that contributed to my problem. That was 15000 miles ago. When the mechanic loosened the belt a little, the clunking went away, but for the first time I'm hearing thar whirling noise. Embarrassing!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@sfair
I do not have the necessary equipment. I will consult with the dealership and have them test that as well.

@zig
I hope that is all they find, either way thet should fix. While I don't have a warranty, the place I purchased from has a good reputation and they claim to stand behind their products and the reason why i purchased from the dealership.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
@sfair
I do not have the necessary equipment. I will consult with the dealership and have them test that as well.

@zig
I hope that is all they find, either way thet should fix. While I don't have a warranty, the place I purchased from has a good reputation and they claim to stand behind their products and the reason why i purchased from the dealership.

Jay,

While a nice meter is nice, a basic, cheap-o, $10 meter from the clearance bin at the Hardware store is sufficient for a basic charging system check. The most basic test is just to determine if the voltage to the battery when running at speed is within range. Any meter capable of metering 12 volts can do that. If it's not within spec then you can tell your dealer, specifically, to investigate the charging system. If that's not an option, ask them to do a charging system check just to be safe. These 900's have finicky charging systems.

Sfair is the expert on meters and electrical, I am not. However, when my stator failed I borrowed my father in laws $550 Fluke meter. Which of course has hundreds of features I'll never use (It'll even read temperatures!). Just for grins I checked my battery voltage with it against a cheap radio-shack meter I had in the laundry room. Both were within a couple tenths of a volt of each other. Does that mean he wasted money on a Fluke? No, of course not. But, it tells me that a cheap meter is probably sufficient to test the output voltage of the charging system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Romas5.8
Thanks for clearing that up. when i check the prices of meters i seen them for like $300+. I need make a few stops anyway. the hardware store will be one.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
@Romas5.8
Thanks for clearing that up. when i check the prices of meters i seen them for like $300+. I need make a few stops anyway. the hardware store will be one.
The most basic test would be to rev the bike to about 3000 RPM's, and put your meter on the battery. It should not exceed 15v and it should not dip below 13(?) (someone with more knowledge can clarify) volts. Either way, take a reading of the charging system and post it in this thread and Sfair or someone else with knowledge of these systems can tell you if it's good, or if they think you should do additional tests.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
And so it begins....lol.
Jay, the 9 is a big, noisy, ticking, whirling, whining, popping bike. I swear it has more sounds than a locomotive. Coming from a Honda, your gonna be surprised. Relax though, it has "character"....and it ALWAYS starts.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ok, if I am not right , when the stator starts to make noise you will hear at idle also?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
ok, if I am not right , when the stator starts to make noise you will hear at idle also?
The stator whine is not the definitive symptom of stator failure. It's just a common symptom. It can vary from bike to bike. It would be wrong for me to say "This is exactly how it will behave", I can only say how it behaved for me and others. The definitive test for stator failure is a meter showing that it's not working as it should.

That said- when mine went out, it whined at idle, got a bit louder around 1500-2000rpms, and got quiet above that. When it FIRST went out (when I was at the in-laws house) it had poor charging voltage at low RPM's, but was fine at high RPM's. Borrowed my father in laws meter and took it home to investigate further. Rode 50 miles home. By the time I got home the headlight was dim, and there was little charging voltage (voltage was roughly the same running as when it was off- indicating an extremely weak stator). Replaced it a few days later when the parts came in!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My stator sounded like a turbo. At idle, I'd give it some throttle and it sounded like a jet. It was cool but not right.

You guys are right about the noise. I am very aware of various sounds. Right now, I get either a short squeal or brush sound with braking. It is very rare! After I've driven for a good while, nothing. Brakes look good and work fine. I can occasionally hear the whirring sound of the belt. It may be a tad tight from when tires were replaced.

I am also aware of the clicking/ticking that I guess are the injectors doing their job.

I just ride and don't worry about it. If however, the sound is very unusual and suddenly starts, I will investigate closely. Even a non-mechanic needs to not ignore a potential safety issue.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I also get a whirl noise, belts not tight, I think I am hearing the clutch , Mine sounds like the one in this vid, you can hear the whirl noise the most when they down shift. Seems like I found all kinds on new noise when I installed lower shields

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Romans correct me if I am wrong, but since the stator is inside the rotor that's attached to the crankshaft the sound that ErnieC is hearing is more clutch related than stator. I am basing this upon the post that Ernie said the sound goes away when the clutch is engaged. If this was a car I would suspect the throw-out bearing or the clutch/pressure plate assembly. On the bike I am not sure.

ErnieC, have you changed your oil lately?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts