Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seem like a stupid topic, but I have been putting 6,000 miles a year on my 2011 Voyager, and will put on at least 12,000 this year with a 5,000 mile trip out west.

I am hoping to get at least another 10 to 15 years or 90,000 miles out if it.

I would like to know who has put the most miles on the 1700 engine, Nomad, Vaquero, or Voyager. What issues have you had, and what did you do to maintain or fix the engine.

It is cold up here in NE Wisconsin so I am shut inside and coming up with meaningless topics/thoughts like this one

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I know this may seem like a stupid topic, but I have been putting 6,000 miles a year on my 2011 Voyager, and will put on at least 12,000 this year with a 5,000 mile trip out west.

I would like to know who has put the most miles on the 1700 engine, Nomad, Vaquero, or Voyager. What issues have you had, and what did you do to maintain or fix the engine.

It is cold up here in NE Wisconsin so I am shut inside and coming up with meaningless topics/thoughts like this one
Change the oil as needed, and ride it like you stole it. LOL I have 40,000 on my 2009 and don't see any reason it won't go 90,000 miles.
Shep

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is somebody I believe in Canada that has or had several Vulcans at the 200,000 mile area. I believe it was in one of the oil threads.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pfffftttt........... 90,000 miles is child's play! :D
217,000 miles on my VN1700, all stock, original engine. Change fluids, filters and plugs............ Just ride it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
217,000 miles on my VN1700, all stock, original engine. Change fluids, filters and plugs............ Just ride it.
Glad you popped in Garry... The title of this thread immediately brings you to mind, and if you'd not posted yourself I would have gone and copied / pasted your sig from another forum.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When we lived in Idaho, and granted we didn't have Vulcans for long before we moved, but both my wife and I regularly averaged between 15000 and 20000 miles a year. Modern motorcycles are designed to last a long time with regular maintenance and upkeep.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey that is some mileage especially with our winters. Does he ever get off the seat when summer comes. Yea all about oil changes for sure and filters.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just traded my 2011 Voyager. It had 59,000 on it after 2 1/2 years. Oil changes at 5,000 miles, used Mobil 1 MC oil. All other fluid changes close to the book. In that 59,000 miles I had a fork seal go out (my fault), had to have a water temp sensor replaced (warranty), and a Valve cover gasket replaced (warranty). Several tires (best: rear- Dunlop American Elite 180 65/16...2 of those at 23,000 each and front- Michelin Commander. I also had to replace the front brake pads one time as I'm a front brake mostly guy. Why did I trade? That's just me. I've always done that after about 2.5 years. I like to be in warranty and I don't like to buy an extended warranty on anything.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I just traded my 2011 Voyager. It had 59,000 on it after 2 1/2 years. Oil changes at 5,000 miles, used Mobil 1 MC oil. All other fluid changes close to the book. In that 59,000 miles I had a fork seal go out (my fault), had to have a water temp sensor replaced (warranty), and a Valve cover gasket replaced (warranty). Several tires (best: rear- Dunlop American Elite 180 65/16...2 of those at 23,000 each and front- Michelin Commander. I also had to replace the front brake pads one time as I'm a front brake mostly guy. Why did I trade? That's just me. I've always done that after about 2.5 years. I like to be in warranty and I don't like to buy an extended warranty on anything.
Well dammit man! What are you waiting for? Tell us what you traded for!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well dammit man! What are you waiting for? Tell us what you traded for!
Well I got a smokin deal on a left over 2012 Nomad. I was looking at the 2014 Nomad but didn't like the color option PLUS they were really motivated to get this 2012 off the showroom. I got the Red and Silver. I've put a Reckless fairing all painted up in the same color, blue tooth radio with a USB port (no longer need the i-pod) and 4 5.25 inch Polk Audio speakers. I also added a Boss Trunk (large studded) and all the chrome I had on the Voyager I was able to transfer. Why not another Voyager? Well, I wanted something just a LITTLE different but still wanted a trunk and Fairing with a sound system. Cruise was also a must. This will be the bike we take to Alaska for our 30th anniversary in 2015. I'll post pics of the bike soon.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great comments. Please keep them coming. Riding to Alaska from Ill, best of luck!

I am 55 years young and do not fancy the idea of having to buy another bike unless I have to buy a trike when I really get up there in age......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well you will probably pass through Edmonton, Alberta on your way up the Alaska Highway. Give me a shout if you are pass along my phone number and go for coffee and tell you what you should see on your way up stops and stuff as I have been that way a couple of times.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The key here is ALL STOCK, no power commanders or other fuel devices stuffing up the top end with too much fuel etc etc.

I went through all that with my Harley and vowed never again. Definitely keeping my Vaquero stock, and hoping for good engine life, and doing as many miles as possible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The key here is ALL STOCK, no power commanders or other fuel devices stuffing up the top end with too much fuel etc etc.

I went through all that with my Harley and vowed never again. Definitely keeping my Vaquero stock, and hoping for good engine life, and doing as many miles as possible.
Keef, you are wise beyond your post count!
I've been down that same route, always fiddling and spending and mucking and falling for all the ads and fixes and 'tune-ups in a can'. With this VN1700 I knew I was going to be doing some serious travelling so I've resisted all the temptations and left it stock (well, except for my tourer-to-bagger conversion), I use OEM air and oil filters, even use Kawasaki oil and kept all the receipts in anticipation of presenting them to the dealer if my bike pukes it's guts at 250k while under warranty.
Not so amazingly............ I leave it all stock, use OEM service parts and fluids, the bike just keeps going and going and going! I change the oil every 7000 miles and never need to add any between changes. I've never used Seafoam, stabilizer, marvel mystery oil, and have not needed to replace any fuel system parts.
Pretty durable bike, and I still have 6 more months of warranty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Im hoping to get those kind of miles . i have 8000 on my 2011 vaquero . i wish i kept mine all stock , its a money pit. but she does sound good. To me this is the best bike ive ridin. i change the oil once a season with AMS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes. The stories of these types of mileage are very promising. I only have 2400 miles on my '11 Voyager and the only mod I'm going to do is put Vance and Hines slip-ons on. Hoping she gives me many miles of trouble free riding. Knock on wood.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts