Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike out of winter hibernation yesterday it has always idled at 1000 rpm. when I started it went to about 1200 rpm and as it was sitting there it was slowly climbing. I thought it was because it was cold. I got it in the garage by now I could feel the heat coming off the engine. I gave the throttle a quick twist. nothing. I shut it down for a bit then starter it again and the same thing at about 2300 rpm's I shut it down. can anyone give me a starting point of what to look for?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check it in the morning. Thank you

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
high idle update

After sitting all night I started the bike and just let it idle the rpm;s stayed at just over 1000 for about 1.5 minutes then started climbing up to 2000 and then slowly climbed from there. then I shut it down.

I started the bike up again and adjusted the rpm's back down to 1000. My concern is I never had this issue with this bike and is adjusting the rpm's solving the problem or masking a bigger issue?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Could be an air leak from a shrunk or loose throttle body boot, causing a lean condition intermittently. Try spraying a little starting fluid (or WD40 is ok) around the boot between the TB and the jug. If the rpms increase and at that time, see if you can see where the fluid is getting sucked in.

Or, the only reason I'd think it could be a stuck cable is because you said the throttle did nothing when twisted. Unless you meant it stumbled a bit, then the lean condition would be more warranted. Does the throttle have extra resistance or does it feel disconnected?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts