Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe he is talking about the high idling problem many have been having? Mine does it when the engine is cold. After that its rock solid.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, here we go again but I don't want people getting all in a huff this time. When you complain about a high idle, what is it the bike is doing. In cold weather, the bike is supposed to come up to a higher than normal idle. Actually, mine when I hit the button will idle quite slowly as it tries to loosen up then get up to the high idle for a couple minutes (longer when colder) then drop back down to the 1000 rpm. It doesn't ever get to 1500 rpm merely 1200-1300. Now, on a hot day when the bike has been warm it may get up to 1500 right after start, but that is rare and it drops back down to the 1000 rpm.

This is the first place where I've heard anyone complain about a 'high idle' and the last time it sounded like the guy didn't want the bike to do anything different ever. IE no computer controlled advances, whatever. This wasn't a problem with the bike more a personal preference that isn't shared by the majority of folks.

Please, enlighten me as to your experiences.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Kay, I've seen the other thread. I don't know if this is just some loop we've tricked the 900 ECU into or if there is a normal wear procedure that causes this problem. I'm not aware of any major abnormal high idle problems on my bike BUT if I hit the start key before the bike has gone through the complete pump cycle, every once in a while the bike will suffer fuel starvation and not accelerate. The quick answer there is to turn the key off, turn it back on and let the bike cycle completely. That's the only condition I know of.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Clean out the throttle body and plates as well as linkage on the throttle body--Throttle body cleaner......That should define where the TPS sets the position before starting and most likely where it places it when it warms up and set it to normal operating.....Have experienced a similar condition and fixed like this......you "may" have to do this again sometime during the season depending on how much riding you do......25000 since May for me this year and still riding to date....BUT cool temps!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've fixed irregular idle during running like this, was adjusting the idle knob then figured it was probably time to clean it and it was. Why I didn't think of it for this I don't know.

It's worth a look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts