Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know when we start the bike cold it idles high for a few minutes. Mine does this and it usually seems normal. However today I started the bike as normal went for a 20 minute ride and had breakfast. When I started the bike to come home after around 30 minutes it started to idle high like usual but got a little crazy. I don't have a tach but when I was driving it would hardly even shift I could go around 25 mph without any throttle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I know when we start the bike cold it idles high for a few minutes. Mine does this and it usually seems normal. However today I started the bike as normal went for a 20 minute ride and had breakfast. When I started the bike to come home after around 30 minutes it started to idle high like usual but got a little crazy. I don't have a tach but when I was driving it would hardly even shift I could go around 25 mph without any throttle. Any ideas?
When I crank mine after it's hot it idles up real high for just a second. Real annoying

·
Registered
675 Posts
I say to not move the idle screw.
You have another problem that is causing the high idle.
Going 20 without a throttle twist is not normal and something is wrong.
Possible a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine does this intermittently as well. It only happens when I start it with a warm engine but the idle speed just takes off on its own. It almost feels like the 'choke' (not sure of the technical term on these bikes) is getting stuck and speeding the engine up because it happens without any throttle input. Shutting the engine off and restarting it fixes the idle.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Mine does this intermittently as well. It only happens when I start it with a warm engine but the idle speed just takes off on its own. It almost feels like the 'choke' (not sure of the technical term on these bikes) is getting stuck and speeding the engine up because it happens without any throttle input. Shutting the engine off and restarting it fixes the idle.
So far...(knocking on my head)...I have not experienced this problem, fellas...

BUT...this issue as well as the remedy that V_P speaks of generally indicates a computer related malfunction.

I agree with Vulcandoc to leave the idle screw where it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vulcan Pilot I appreciate knowing I am not alone but I would like to know why it does this. Think I should take in and get it looked at. This bike is new to me and it seems to have a few weird things going on. Weird howling sound when driving in 3rd gear etc.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Vulcan Pilot I appreciate knowing I am not alone but I would like to know why it does this. Think I should take in and get it looked at. This bike is new to me and it seems to have a few weird things going on. Weird howling sound when driving in 3rd gear etc.
Before taking the trip to the shop...try this:

1) Remove your negative cable from your battery
2) Let your bike sit 5 minutes
3) Reconnect the cable to its terminal
4) Start the bike and allow the initial idle speed to subside
5) Take it for a spin to see if the issue returns

Report back your findings

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 2015 does this sometimes when starting up ( has happened maybe 3-4 times in 2 yrs) . I just cut it off and restart and all is normal. I just chalked it up to a calibration issue with the ecm...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this morning started my bike hasn't been run in about 2 weeks no high idle at all but FI light was on for about 90 seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts