Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Vaquero with just over 42,000 miles. In the last month, it has been idling about 400 rpm's too high for the first few minutes. The duration of the high idle has been getting progressively longer. At first, within a few minutes the idle would drop back to normal, which I lowered a couple of years ago to the minimum setting of 850. Yesterday, it took over 20 minutes before the idle finally dropped back to normal. Anyone know what might cause this?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
GOSH, there is a multitude of possibilities.

Intake vacuum leaks, dirty throttle plates/bores, faulty ecu, faulty throttle body servo motor.

I got such a bad toothache that's all I can think of now, seeing the dentist in a bit. Maybe there will be more ideas when my tooth is pulled or from others.

RACNRAY

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GOSH, there is a multitude of possibilities.

Intake vacuum leaks, dirty throttle plates/bores, faulty ecu, faulty throttle body servo motor.

I got such a bad toothache that's all I can think of now, seeing the dentist in a bit. Maybe there will be more ideas when my tooth is pulled or from others.

RACNRAY
Thanks, Ray. I'll try cleaning out the throttle plates/bores first. I hope the dentist took care of the pain. Nothing else hurts quite like a toothache!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
My Voyager started doing that about the same mileage. No air leaks. I would spray down in the throttle body with cleaner and it would fix it for a couple days. Mine would idle at 2000 rpm, 1500, up and down.

Took it to the stealer and they just scratched their heads like monkeys. Did the same thing I did and called it good. But it wasn't....

I then ran two cans of seafoam through it. Took about 10 tanks of gas. Took me about two weeks. But about the third tank it stopped doing the random idle thing. I still run seafoam in it about every 4th or 5th tank. 4 0z on a full tank. Have not had any more idle issues. I think it is the ethanol gas we have here.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Voyager started doing that about the same mileage. No air leaks. I would spray down in the throttle body with cleaner and it would fix it for a couple days. Mine would idle at 2000 rpm, 1500, up and down.

Took it to the stealer and they just scratched their heads like monkeys. Did the same thing I did and called it good. But it wasn't....

I then ran two cans of seafoam through it. Took about 10 tanks of gas. Took me about two weeks. But about the third tank it stopped doing the random idle thing. I still run seafoam in it about every 4th or 5th tank. 4 0z on a full tank. Have not had any more idle issues. I think it is the ethanol gas we have here.
Thanks Bubba, that's a good idea to try Seafoam. It sure can't hurt and it just might help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 2011 Vaquero with just over 42,000 miles. In the last month, it has been idling about 400 rpm's too high for the first few minutes. The duration of the high idle has been getting progressively longer. At first, within a few minutes the idle would drop back to normal, which I lowered a couple of years ago to the minimum setting of 850. Yesterday, it took over 20 minutes before the idle finally dropped back to normal. Anyone know what might cause this?
I got close to 50,000 miles and I too just had this symptom yesterday.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Readjust throttle cables? Not enough slack?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lube the throttle cables?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Don't think it would be a cable issue. My cables are adjusted once a year. Besides the butterflies in the throttle body are electrically positioned.

I could even go with maybe the throttle cable position sensor acting up some.

Error 18 according to the shop manual

Capture2.jpg

Capture.jpg

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Got a code 18 earlier today, and am now getting a higher idle, 1000-1200rpm at the moment. Have been using ethanol free gas until 2 tanks ago. Had to get gas this morning when I got the code leaving the house. Prior to this, the last 12-15 tanks were all ethanol free. most all others since new were not. I have just over 31k on it now. Added seafoam when I got back home, will see how it goes. I have a 2k? mile trip starting next friday, will take seafoam with me. I did just clean and reoil my air filter last week and I'm getting oil on the motor below the filter, may have over oiled it some. That could be part of the problem, getting oil into the throttle body and building up carbon. Will try a spray cleaner in the throttle body also.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As others have recommended, I would run the Sea Foam through it until the issue is resolved, but after that, use only Top Tier fuel (a throttle body's best buddy) in your baby. Low-detergent fuels wreak absolute havoc with modern-day throttle bodies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts