Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the Grampsize/Scooterize deal with my 800.
have a K&N filter, 170 main jet, changed metering rod, remove baffles in the mufflers,
and have 1-3/4" exhaust (yes, removed the 1" exhaust inside the outer 1-3/4" pipes then heat wrapped them).
Bike runs nice, BUT, at about 70-75 MPH the bike wants more gas than can flow into the carb (stock plastic nipple), so I need a larger (brass) nipple.
anyone know the biggest i can find? still wants to be 90 degree, but larger than 1/4" hose. I see 5/16" is out there. any larger like 3/8" ??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agree.
needle seat is the limiting factor to how much fuel will flow into the carb - i'm just increasing to available fuel
to flow. larger fuel demand (larger jets) needs more volume of fuel available.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at 4,500 rpm and 75 mph bike feels like it's running lean.
I may change the main needle position up a notch so the main flows more fuel at half throttle,
but going to increase the fuel available to flow to the carb first.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
sorry but i got lost reading #1 post on words like metering rod and nipple and would help if there was standard parts terms, and i am also lost on you needing more fuel and yet you have a 170 MJ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Rochester/Carter term.
yes, lol, that's true. had a pair of carters on my hemi.
and rebuilt plenty of Rochester carbs.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry but i got lost reading #1 post on words like metering rod and nipple and would help if there was standard parts terms, and i am also lost on you needing more fuel and yet you have a 170 MJ?
Kawasaki calls the metering rod a "needle-jet"
Part #16009 in this diagram:
1999 Kawasaki VULCAN 800 CLASSIC (VN800-B4) Carburetor | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

the needle is tapered and the further it is pulled out of the jet then the less restriction, and more fuel flows.
stock main jet size is 130 i believe, 170 flows more fuel.

and the nipple is the pressed in fuel inlet that your fuel hose from the tank runs to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts