Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know many drive with their high beams on all the time so that they are more visible to others. I do as well. Yet while out today, during the day a few oncoming drivers flashed their high beams. A bit strange during the day since I don't think they are bright enough during daylight to bother oncoming traffic?

Any others experience the same?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I haven't had oncoming drivers do that but I did have one of my riding buddies remark to me one time that my lights (bright headlight and two LED running lights) were really bright. He was in the lead and speaking about mine when looking in his mirrors.

Generally speaking, I have my running lights on and my headlight on low but that day, during that stretch of the ride, I had the hi-beam on.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
i ride w/ high and a modulator. led bulb quite bright and 6k color. never had anyone flash at me. but i have had people tell me they noticed my headlight was broken and flashing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i ride w/ high and a modulator. led bulb quite bright and 6k color. never had anyone flash at me. but i have had people tell me they noticed my headlight was broken and flashing.
I don't have the led and I don't run with the high beam on, but I get some interesting reactions from my modulator as I'm sure you have. I've had both oncoming and same direction traffic pull over to the side to allow me to pass, flash at me, ask me why my lights are flashing (at stop lights), and even yell out their window as they pass that my light is flashing. The best one is on my 25mph street near my house where people speed all the time, is seeing that front bumper dip as they hit their brakes thinking I'm a cop. I suppose the black and white of my Nomad doesn't hurt! All it tells me is that I'm noticed, and that's a good thing!

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I've been debating for the last two weeks about installing the headlight pulsing device.

A few things I have been contemplating:

What if other drivers think that I am a cop? (So @CarGuy verified that thought! :))

Drivers may think that my Headlight is malfunctioning. @CarGuy and @Sabre-t verified that thought!)

How well would I be seen? (@VN750Guy** verified that is the case!)

All in all this has been a very informative thread for me. And the verdict is...

Install the device!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Obviously the oncoming traffic thinks otherwise.

We all need to be respectful of others on the road.
You're exactly correct that motorcyclists need to be respectful of others on the road, and that includes ALL motorcyclists and for all actions. As for modulated headlights, which are legal in all 50 states per federal law, conscientious use should dictate when to use or not use them. I turn mine off when following other motorcyclists as it can be distracting to them more so than when following a car or truck. I'll also turn it off in slow-moving stop & go traffic where it might annoy the car/truck ahead of me. But, when on the road in town or out, it's on. I don't use my high beam during the day because I find the modulated light is attention-getting enough. If it annoys someone I'm sorry, but I'd rather annoy someone than not get noticed. The number 1 excuse from a vehicle that crosses in front of a motorcycle is "I never saw it". In over 6 years of use, 10's of thousands of miles, and traveling through approx 30 states, I've never had anyone voice their annoyance with it and I've never been stopped by police because of it's use. It works!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For my clarification, just how does this modulating setup work? Does it switch back and forth between hi/low or what?

My running lights, seen below (not turned on), are so "white and bright" that my low beam headlight looks yellow by comparison. The hi-beam doesn't look yellow.

Would this be switching between bright/yellow?

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
For my clarification, just how does this modulating setup work? Does it switch back and forth between hi/low or what?

My running lights, seen below (not turned on), are so "white and bright" that my low beam headlight looks yellow by comparison. The hi-beam doesn't look yellow.

Would this be switching between bright/yellow?
It varies the intensity of either your low or hi beam. It doesn't modulate between them.

Here's the section from fed law that deals with modulators. It should answer your questions.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity,provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter located at the sensor & pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

You're exactly correct that motorcyclists need to be respectful of others on the road, and that includes ALL motorcyclists and for all actions. As for modulated headlights, which are legal in all 50 states per federal law, conscientious use should dictate when to use or not use them. I turn mine off when following other motorcyclists as it can be distracting to them more so than when following a car or truck. I'll also turn it off in slow-moving stop & go traffic where it might annoy the car/truck ahead of me. But, when on the road in town or out, it's on. I don't use my high beam during the day because I find the modulated light is attention-getting enough. If it annoys someone I'm sorry, but I'd rather annoy someone than not get noticed. The number 1 excuse from a vehicle that crosses in front of a motorcycle is "I never saw it". In over 6 years of use, 10's of thousands of miles, and traveling through approx 30 states, I've never had anyone voice their annoyance with it and I've never been stopped by police because of it's use. It works!
I have no beef with modulated headlights, just the blinding high beams/auxiliary lights.

Does nobody a favor to have opposing traffic annoyed at best, blinded at worst

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I've been debating for the last two weeks about installing the headlight pulsing device.

A few things I have been contemplating:

What if other drivers think that I am a cop? (So @CarGuy verified that thought! :))

Drivers may think that my Headlight is malfunctioning. @CarGuy and @Sabre-t verified that thought!)

How well would I be seen? (@VN750Guy** verified that is the case!)

All in all this has been a very informative thread for me. And the verdict is...

Install the device!
bottom line it gets you noticed. as long as it meets Fed guidelines (most do - wouldn't trust some china knockoff) you're good. if you have an led hl, make sure the modulator works w/ leds (most do, but if not designed to, the will not work legally correct).

the only, very rare problem is some numbnuts think you are flashing them it's ok to turn in front of you. only happened to me once .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, Yeah during daytime ridding I always leave my high beam on. During dusk-night I use it just like I use my cars on when nobody is approaching me or in front of me. Maybe someone was just warning you of a speed trap or some other hazard by flashing there lights.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts

if your headlight and spots are properly aimed and use a bulbs that are not illegally bright, they should not annoy anyone. that applies to all vehicles, not just mc. i run w/ the modulator on the high beam all daylight unless it is dark due to weather or i'm on a grp ride. i make sure that the sensor is set so the modulator cuts off before it gets too dark. of course, i have to make sure i change to dim before it gets too dark, too. i've never had anyone express annoyance, just telling me that my light was flashing, but i've had many comment on how effectively it made them aware of me.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
if your headlight and spots are properly aimed and use a bulbs that are not illegally bright, they should not annoy anyone.
I have to disagree if still referring to using high beams and driving-type lights. Generally, the whole point of those is to light up farther (and to some degree wider) down the road. It's more or less inherent to that task they are aimed higher or the reflector and lens throws that way, more than low beams. That's the annoyance.

If they were aimed like low beams or fog lights (should be) it would be a different matter, but then largely defeating their point.

In addition to the normal headlight, I have a pair of Rigid SR-Q hyperspots and a pair of their SR-Q driving lights on my VN2K. That would be positively brutal to oncoming traffic even in broad daylight.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I considered a modulator years ago when I first saw one, but after some consideration I decided against it. When I learned how drive (car) in 1973 I was taught that flashing your highbeams indicates to an oncoming driver that you want him to proceed (such as turning left in front of you). Although I only use that at 4-way stops, I would always be worried that the modulator is telling people to pull in front of me. I also don't drive in daylight with my high beam on. It does irritate oncoming drivers and in some light conditions, they can actually be painful. Worse than that, when I have driven with high beams on I've had plenty of people nail me with their high beams and on two occasions swerve out of their lane, apparently to punish me for having my high beams on them.

What I do is drive with my low beam on. When I'm approaching an intersection or it looks like there's possible left turn coming at me I'll flip the high beam on and leave it until I'm sure I'm clear. The change in intensity get attention, but doesn't cause the ongoing irritation that running your high beams can.

That said, I rarely drive in urban settings so I don't have intersections every few hundred feet to contend with. Country roads seem considerably safer to begin with. So there is that.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I considered a modulator years ago when I first saw one, but after some consideration I decided against it. When I learned how drive (car) in 1973 I was taught that flashing your highbeams indicates to an oncoming driver that you want him to proceed (such as turning left in front of you). Although I only use that at 4-way stops, I would always be worried that the modulator is telling people to pull in front of me. I also don't drive in daylight with my high beam on. It does irritate oncoming drivers and in some light conditions, they can actually be painful. Worse than that, when I have driven with high beams on I've had plenty of people nail me with their high beams and on two occasions swerve out of their lane, apparently to punish me for having my high beams on them.

What I do is drive with my low beam on. When I'm approaching an intersection or it looks like there's possible left turn coming at me I'll flip the high beam on and leave it until I'm sure I'm clear. The change in intensity get attention, but doesn't cause the ongoing irritation that running your high beams can.

That said, I rarely drive in urban settings so I don't have intersections every few hundred feet to contend with. Country roads seem considerably safer to begin with. So there is that.
a modulator flashes fast and continuously. you have to be pretty stupid to think that kind of flashing is a message to turn. as i said, it has only happened to me once. the guy was rocking out with headphones on, driving a school bus.

before i got the modulator i had several vehicles, at least 3, maybe more, turn in front of me. w or w/o a modulator, you have to expect them to turn and be prepared.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I have to disagree if still referring to using high beams and driving-type lights. Generally, the whole point of those is to light up farther (and to some degree wider) down the road. It's more or less inherent to that task they are aimed higher or the reflector and lens throws that way, more than low beams. That's the annoyance.

If they were aimed like low beams or fog lights (should be) it would be a different matter, but then largely defeating their point.

In addition to the normal headlight, I have a pair of Rigid SR-Q hyperspots and a pair of their SR-Q driving lights on my VN2K. That would be positively brutal to oncoming traffic even in broad daylight.
when i took msf training, they taught using brites during the day. now they say brites and/or modulators. i have very rarely seen a vehicle w/ brites coming towards me during the day that i thought were too bright. the main exceptions were badly aimed spots, almost never headlights.

as i've said, many comments on how noticeable my lights are, but no complaints ever.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
as i've said, many comments on how noticeable my lights are, but no complaints ever.
I took MSF too but don't recall being taught to use brights during the day.

I find it annoying but I don't pursue people just to tell them that. I might quickly flash my megabeams if I feel there is a particularly egregious case heading my way, but usually I just let it go thinking to myself a sphincterally-related comment about the driver. LOL.

The Minnesota statutes say that when approaching within 1000ft oncoming, the driver shall use distribution of light by aiming or by composite beam so that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming traffic. Effectively, it means it's a legal requirement, at least in MN, to use low beam when meeting traffic, and the same following, except the distance 200ft.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Whether in my car or on my bike, I can always tell if an approaching motorcycle has it's brights on during the day. I don't recall them ever being so bright as to be annoying. As I said in an earlier post, I don't ride with my high beam on because I know the modulator gets me noticed just fine on low beam. For me it's a personal choice and I have no problems with those that ride with the high beam on. If it gets you noticed, do it!

As for cars thinking I'm flashing them that it's ok to proceed.... never happened. As Sabre-T said, "a modulator flashes fast and continuously. you have to be pretty stupid to think that kind of flashing is a message to turn".

It's all about being seen! Modulators have been shown to increase the front view visibility of a motorcyclist better than any helmet color, clothing color, etc. From the front, most motorcycles today have fairings or windshields that block anything else that might be seen from an approaching vehicle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts