Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on jet sizes for over 5000 feet altitude would be appreciated. Shop manual says 100 main and 32 pilot. Has any one else at high altitude, say Denver, CO and higher, experimented with other jet sizes? If so what sizes did you have the best luck with?
Many thanks for your input.
Kris

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hi Kris.

Are you wanting to stay above 5,000 feet elevation or will you be venturing lower from time to time? If you do rejet for altitude you MUST stay above 5,000 feet or risk engine damage from a too lean fuel mixture when you go below it.

If you only occasionally go above 5,000 feet there is no problem except for the understandable power drop. I summitted Pikes Peak with Hidalgo with no ill effects.

Hope this helps.

IMG_2850.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Biker Bill, I live about 5400 feet near Pikes Peak and usually ride higher into the mountains maybe to 10k. Rarely lower than say 4500. You know us old bikers, always wanting to squeeze out a few more ponies without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the plugs are good and carbs are balanced, valves good. It will do the ton at 6000 feet. Probably me just wanting more than the bike was built for. Just wondering! Unfamiliar with this sportbike engine design.
Thanks, Kris

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
After reviewing the Kawasaki Service Manual the altitude jet adjust is suggested for use over 4,000 ft (not 5,000 ft as suggested earlier). It is described as a 'Emission Control Performance' adjustment and is blessed by the EPA.

My recommendation is to ascertain whether a jet change will improve performance enough to be worthwhile. Read the spark plugs for the most accurate determination.

Happy Riding!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wanted to jump on this thread if I could, running a 2005 with pod filters, no exhaust (straight pipes) at sea level.

I understand the Dynojet research Jet Kit 2128 is what I am looking for.

My question is, am I looking for the Stage 1 or the kit that includes Stage 1-3 ?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wanted to jump on this thread if I could, running a 2005 with pod filters, no exhaust (straight pipes) at sea level.

I understand the Dynojet research Jet Kit 2128 is what I am looking for.

My question is, am I looking for the Stage 1 or the kit that includes Stage 1-3 ?
Stage 3 is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Understand one Kit will include all supplies for both sides of the Carburetor ?

Actually Dynojet doesn't make a complete kit. Use the jet kit and add pod air filters of your choice. Don't forget the crankcase breather filter as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually Dynojet doesn't make a complete kit. Use the jet kit and add pod air filters of your choice. Don't forget the crankcase breather filter as well.
Ordered the Dynojet, Pod filters are already on, the crank case filter has me at a loss. Would you happen to have a link to it?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts