Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has found an HID kit or has a way to make one for the VN900. I would like to add 2 lights, one for high and one for low. Or at least a dual light that will work as the original does now, integrated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hid

first mod I did to my 900 classic, mounted the ballast outside on rt side, and relay on the left side. 55w6000, h4.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
first mod I did to my 900 classic, mounted the ballast outside on rt side, and relay on the left side. 55w6000, h4.
got any pics of the setup? since you have a relay i am guessing you ran a harness right? i was going to get 55w cause thats what i always run in my other vehicles but after installing dual 55ws on my R1 and running the harness i didnt want to go thru the same work on the vulcan.

i would love to see your setup (where you installed it and the output of the kit)

thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
just used the connectors in the headlight bucket. I called it a relay before on the left side, but I think that is the igniter. Results are really dramatic..

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry not real clear, had to attach some blade connectors to the harness, then just use the female connectors in the headlight. btw, there were not any instructions in the kit, but in both our cars I have installed HID light kits.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here you go,
Thank you for posting pictures of how you did yours. I'm having a little trouble with a couple of the pics though as they are rather blurry. It seems like you got too close for your camera to be able to focus so it's all blurry.

I need to find a good small unit kit now. I'll be doing that after new years as I will be drinking heavily tomorrow night. I only drank lightly tonight, just 5 beers. Tomorrow will be about 12, okay, that's not heavily but it's decent. It'll keep me a nice good fun buzz going....

This is the highest priority mod for my bike right now as I really want more light on the road..... I wish there was a little more spill though up from the low beam for it to hit the mirrors of other cars more though.... I kind of hate that it's so low like it is right now. I almost want a set of extra lights to fill that gap but I'm not sure how I'm going to hook them up just yet.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
well shouldnt you be able to aim the headlight a little higher? if you do want more light then either get a light bar or get fog lights and attach them to the turn signals to get a fake light bar (that is what i want to do) you can get projector fogs and place hids in them and use them with a switch and only put them on when you need them. they will give a good flood of light and light your way perfectly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I Velcroed the ballast on the rt. side on the "neck", the igniter, removed the wire loom, screw through the igniter, loom wire, into the "neck of the left side. I also needed to adjust the vertical headlight beam slightly, screw is on the rt side as your looking at the headlight (for mine anyway). With the HID I feel that the headlight is all I need to see and be seen.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I Velcroed the ballast on the rt. side on the "neck", the igniter, removed the wire loom, screw through the igniter, loom wire, into the "neck of the left side. I also needed to adjust the vertical headlight beam slightly, screw is on the rt side as your looking at the headlight (for mine anyway). With the HID I feel that the headlight is all I need to see and be seen.
ive narrowed down my next mod to do to the 900. its either a sissy bar and hids or an exhaust.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well shouldnt you be able to aim the headlight a little higher? if you do want more light then either get a light bar or get fog lights and attach them to the turn signals to get a fake light bar (that is what i want to do) you can get projector fogs and place hids in them and use them with a switch and only put them on when you need them. they will give a good flood of light and light your way perfectly.
The problem with the stock headlight that kind of annoys me a bit is that in order to get the high beam to work effectively I would need to bring the angle of the low beam down more. Right now I have the low beam at an angle that kind of goes straight out with almost no drop so that I can hit those mirrors in front of me more for all the elderly in the area that just don't pay attention. This way I get seen a little more... I almost wish the headlight was mounted up about 6-8 inches from where it is. My friends is up higher than mine but his headlight has a bit more of a spill above the cut off which helps with being seen, granted we normally ride together so that helps but I haven't been able to get him to understand how to keep his position in his lane yet... lol. He's new to riding.

Anyway, The position of the high to low beam is offset too much for me to be able to raise the low beam anymore and have any kind of effectiveness with the high beam. I've considered just putting the high beam in the low beam range and just using the high beam all the time but I don't really want to be a dick like that to other drivers out there, that high beam is a beast. But then again I also want to be seen.

I want to add some of these here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/billet_led_light.htm#Cool_Magic™_Driving_Lights_
Cool Magic™ Driving Lights - the second item on the page. They only draw 6 watts each which is nice but they will give a nice cone of light (30deg). I think those should be pretty decent for getting seen a little better.

These are supposed to be much better though:
Clearwater "Glenda" LED Driving Lights
http://www.clearwaterlights.com/index.html

I'm leaning to the clearwater set as they are adjustable power and would pretty good for areas around me I think.

Those coupled with the HID headlight should make me quite the happy customer.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
honestly riding with your highbeam is the best thing to do. i kniow a lot of riders that alway ride with their highbeam just cause of the safety factor... i like those clear waters simply because of the adjustable power.
This is true but IDK, I think if I get the clearwater lights I'll be mroe than fine with the regular "low" beam of the HID.

and when I want to cover the road in blinding light I can just hit the HID to high. I have to travel a lot of roads that are only 2 lane (1 each way) and I had a friend coming at me and he told me later that with my bright the way it was he couldn't even see the road. I would have to aim it down quite a ways to offset that in the mean time until I figure out which HID kit I'm going to order.

I as well really like the clearwater adjustability as well. This way I can tailor the light to how I want it exactly. They say 1/4 is good for marker type lights but I'd more than likely for 1/3-1/2.

I don't know that I would put the lead on to override the clearwaters when the HID is active though, I would probably want to just have them on no matter the headlight setting.

I think as soon as I get my helmet issues sorted out I will be ordering the HID and clearwater kits so that I can get it all together at the same time.

Then it's on to upgrade the brake lights to some serious intensity and get seen back there better as well... Go ahead and try to watch my ass... you'll get a face full of brake-light, lol.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
let us know what you do.
as for installing, i would wire it independently of everything so you have total control with them

and for the brake, get one of those brake flasher kits.
Yeah, I'm going to get a couple different things adn they will include these items:

Street Magic® Gen2 Ultimate Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher™
http://www.customdynamics.com/Kawaski_tail_retro.htm
Check out the video for it, pattern 7 is my favorite. It'll really get some serious attention and keep people back.

From this page:
http://www.customdynamics.com/Light_bars.htm
I'll get one 6inch bar and a set of the 3" bars or some kind of combination of them to put on the back of the bike.

The U32 kit
http://hyperlites.com/moddf.html

I may skip the 3: CD light and just stick with the U32 kit in place of them, I'm still a little unsure of that. I would like to get an LED in my main taillight but the one I want in there I will have to custom make and it will probably drown out most anything else once I do decide to make it. I wan to use use at least 6-10 1-1/2w LEDs in a custom cluster that will really make for some serious light. I just have to figure out if I will need to make a custom heatsink to disperse heat from it. If I do I will then just have to take my time making that one.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts