Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new here, my name is Jessie and I ride an '09 custom SE. Anyway, the reason for this thread is, I noticed no real information on HID lights. Here is a little write-up on HID and some a source for a complete retrofit for those that would like to attempt it. I will be doing so shortly on my bike.

This thread is permanently affixed for all who have the question "what color bulbs should I get". This forum has so much wholly inaccurate information regarding HID bulbs it is nauseous. This thread will address all of you who have questions about HID bulbs. If you are the type to buy a plug and play kit to slap into your housings; you shouldn't. All you are doing is creating a horrible beam pattern and blinding oncoming drivers. There are proper ways to make your car have HIDs; buying a kit and slapping them into a halogen housing isn't one of them; but if you're going to be cheap, at least put your HID kit into a projector housing.

READ THIS FIRST

So you're driving around and you see them, those "blue lights" commonly found on higher end Japanese and European cars. Well, you want those lights on your bike, you really dig that blue look, you think it is neat. Good for you. There are things you need to understand before you slap on a bulb on your ride and not only endanger yourself by not being able to see correctly, but other drivers, by you glaring the heck out of them.

First off a thing about the lights, they are called HID's and that blue/purple you see coming off of them on the cars has more to do with the color band in the projector assembly and not the temperature of the bulb. Every single OEM manufacturer with a headlight projector HID system uses some variation of the temp 4300k, not 6k, 8k, 12k, etc.

Why don't the automobile manufacturers use these higher temp lights like the 6k, 8k, etc? Because the higher the bulb temperature, the less the light output as the colors being displayed are getting farther from the color of daylight and your eyes can't see them.

So what does this mean? It means all these fools rolling around with anything higher than 4300k can't see as well as someone with plain ole halogen headlights. Huh? I am sure you've read all the posts and threads in here talking about people claiming they are seeing better and farther than Superman because they've slapped on some 'tite' 10k HID bulbs in their headlights. No, they aren't. What they are doing is introducing a flood effect of the light, and glaring more area, but the laws of science and physics have repeatedly told us now it is physically impossible to see farther than the light temperature of daylight. So if someone tells you there 8k's are brighter than 4300k they have no clue about the science and physics of light, or lighting. Go ahead, just laugh at them and show them this post.

Well, how do these cars with OEM headlights look like the bulbs are blue when in fact they are close to yellowish sunlight? There are some very technical things you can read about: chemicals in the bulbs being excited and light wave lengths, but we aren't going to address that here, we are going to keep it at this image below and a simple explanation about it.

So the below is a picture of my plain ole' 4300k bulbs being displayed on a wall.

So taking what we've read about the lights so far we can see that at the top, or the cut-off of the beam there seems to be a band of color, kind of purple and blue looking while the light below it is white'ish. Keep that in mind when you read this; when you are driving down the road and you see headlights like above that are blue and purple, but the light output is actually white'ish how does that happen? Well, at a distance the color band you see above is larger due to the headlight projectors optics and that white'ish bulb you are seeing is actually the color band. When you start getting closer to the headlight, and the color band size decreases, the bulb looks normal. Hopefully that makes sense to everyone.

And some more info

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=29835
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Here's a link to the kit I will be getting. You simple open up the headlight housing, remove the bulb, put the projector through the hole and secure with the supplied hardware, wire it, put it back together and done! I'll do a how-to when I do the retrofit.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=927

·
Registered
13 Posts
To all their own... I like to be seen when riding so that people know where I am at as it is much harder to see a motorcycle than it is a car. I have gotten many complements on how clean my motorcycle looks and how much better the lighting is with the HID. The whole blue comment is for those who get fake halogens that have a blue coating or get like 12K hid's. I got 6K and they are white as white gets. So as earlier stated to each their own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be able to see better with the brighter light, but with a projector you will see much better than you do now. And you won't be blinding oncoming traffic with ridiculous amounts of glare.

There's a reason that all factory with HID's have projectors, and it's not just cause they look nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts