Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an HID headlight kit on the Classic LT? If so where to buy (Amazon has cheap kits, but I assume you get what you pay for)? Do you get to keep high and low beams? How much brighter?

·
Registered
370 Posts
On my vulcan 900 I bought my kit off of ebay. From my research 90% of all hid kits come from the same place. I have had cheap ebay kits in most of my cars for well over 4 years with no issues. To keep hi and low beam you need to get bi-xenon that will give you hi low in hid if you get hi low regular kit you get low beam hid and hi beam regular light(I know I made that mistake)

As far as brightness I would say its night and day lol I wont drive/ride anything without hid's

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured this would be more effective and cheaper than getting a light bar, not to mention I want to at some point add plug ins for heated riding gear and I want to keep at much current freed up as possible.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought one of the cheap kits online, originally intended for a car, so it had two sets of wires on the modules. Snipped the longer socket off, stuffed as much as possible in the headlight bucket, and mounted the largest piece behind the windscreen. The bulb is on a relay, it physically moves in and out to change the focus of light. Have high and low HID, works like normal. HUGE light difference. I put the same kit on my wife's 900 CLT. Almost a year now and no issues so far.

Downside: I wanted to be more visible at all times, so decided to add driving/fog lights to my crash bars. Trouble is, EVERYTHING available looks yellow next to the HID. The HID is a 5000 kelvin, and you cant find anything close in an H3 halogen. Looking at LED bulbs for the driving lights to correct the imbalance.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yes, HID draws more current than LED, but typically less than the standard H4 bulb. 35W is pretty common HID vs. 55W for the stock bulb.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Probably depends on what you're comparing.

Couldn't find the info off hand, but I recall looking at some Trail Tech HIDs or LEDs not long ago and the 75mm LED lights they claim "rival" HID were roughly $200 each vs. about $175 each for the HIDs and the HIDs still projected a better forward beam.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Price has come down as quality of light has risen.
Around $200 for a 7" headlight.

JJ

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The prices I mentioned are current.

While lumens aren't everything that needs consideration (beam pattern is a big factor) that 7" LED for ~$190 puts out 1300 lumens. One of the $175 SCM16 2" HIDs puts out 1850 lumens. The 4" HID puts out 3235 lumens, but it costs more too $235. Those are auxiliary lights though, not main headlight replacements.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Probably depends on what you're comparing.

Couldn't find the info off hand, but I recall looking at some Trail Tech HIDs or LEDs not long ago and the 75mm LED lights they claim "rival" HID were roughly $200 each vs. about $175 each for the HIDs and the HIDs still projected a better forward beam.
I use the small TrailTech HIDs mounted on an extension from a fender bolt (~17" off the road). Love 'em. 30 watts each and each is brighter than my high beam!

Woody

1 - 14 of 14 Posts