Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a Brit, but I think Brits and Americans are friends again after Joe and Boris shared an ice cream by the English seaside today. I live in Thailand, where many Kawasaki and Honda motorcycles are manufactured, and I'm looking to buy a used Vulcan 650 for touring around Thailand - so joined to learn from the experts.

Going to look at a (very) orange 2016 650 that has a claimed 1,350 Km total mileage. I know there's a risk of clocking with used bikes with crazy low miles, but even I should be able to see if 1,350 Km looks about right - as tires and foot-peg rubbers etc should look new? Anyone know what tires a '16 Vulcan should have from new?

Anything else I should look for? Does a Vulcan develop any problems from too little use?

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,025 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania and thanks for joining us. The biggest issues from lack of use would be tire dry rot and fluids could be pretty old, would certainly recommend changing all fluids and if tires are original could very well be a good idea to swap them. The biggest concern otherwise would be if it was stored outside in poor conditions the chain and other metal parts could require some attention. The original tires are Dunlop but I would look for the date code around the sidewall, would be the 4 digit number - first 2 numbers are the week second 2 numbers are the year. So if its 0216 that would be the second week of 2016. Best of luck and let us know how you make out!! Oh and also if it's the original battery I imagine it would also be good to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll check the tires and codes, and good suggestions - if I buy it I'll give it a full service with oil and brake fluid change.

He claims it was kept indoors, and with the Tropical sun here, it should be obvious if it's been left outside.

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
246 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

My wife is Thai. It's a beautiful country.

Reactions: Solkar

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. It looks like you've got some good advice from the members here. Another thing to check is to look in the gas tank for signs of rust. If it was stored full of fuel you should be ok but if there is rust, that will have to be cleaned out so it doesn't clog up your fuel system. It should have the original tires on it at that mileage and that would make them 5 years old. That's about the shelf life for motorcycle tires so even if they look good they will probably need to be replaced as they will start to dry out and possibly crack. That can be useful information for negotiations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts