Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2010 VN 900 Custom SE today after selling off my GSXR1000.
Pic looks like any normal bike at the moment.
Now off to read around and build a shopping list.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Realy nice looking ride welcome and enjoy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posting from Ireland. It rains here most days but its been dry these last few.
Which is a surprise this time of year.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wecome to the forum Dub! You'll find all the help you'll need on here, great people that will help you understand any questions you may have about your new ride. I bet Ireland has some Beautiful places to ride!

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is actually the 2009 model like I have, not the 2010 (silver valve covers and flat black tank), but a good starting point for me would be the Cobra black swept pipes. Not too loud, just right for me. Kind of mid-noise between the stock pipes and the louder shorter ones.

Have a great time adding the fun stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love my V900, but I've got a feeling you'll miss the Gixxer, there's just no comparison to the handling, speed and acceleration. Of course you won't miss the ergonomics of the Gixxer. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congrats on the ride, please let us know how it feels after the GSXR! I came to the Vulcan from a CBR600 which was way faster than I needed, but the Vulcan has more grunt down low. Not sure you'll find that, though.

I spent five happy years in Ireland, and many an afternoon pootling down beautiful backroads going nowhere not very fast. Great country for a cruiser despite the weather.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys. It does rain alot here so it will be random rides when I can.
Yep they are beautiful roads to ride - dangerous too but Im taking back seat and my 120mph+ days are behind me.

The gixxer was painful - anything longer than a 20 min ride and the wrists were aching - go over an hour and your whole body began to sieze up.

I'll miss taking off from the lights like a rocket ship but glad to back on a twin - had an SV 1000 before which I regretted trading in for the GSXR.

Have only clocked up about 10 miles on the VN and the handling is tricky - had a scare or two going round a corner - foot was down too! But the nice V twin torque and a nice note from the pipes (to be revised) makes it all worth while and I'll get used to the other stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Cheers guys. It does rain alot here so it will be random rides when I can.
Yep they are beautiful roads to ride - dangerous too but Im taking back seat and my 120mph+ days are behind me.

The gixxer was painful - anything longer than a 20 min ride and the wrists were aching - go over an hour and your whole body began to sieze up.

I'll miss taking off from the lights like a rocket ship but glad to back on a twin - had an SV 1000 before which I regretted trading in for the GSXR.

Have only clocked up about 10 miles on the VN and the handling is tricky - had a scare or two going round a corner - foot was down too! But the nice V twin torque and a nice note from the pipes (to be revised) makes it all worth while and I'll get used to the other stuff.
I've got the same problem with my Repsol, my neck and legs hurt the next day after riding it. I dragged my boots and pegs a few times when I got my 900, too. I have to remind myself that it's a cruiser and slow down on the curves.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 900 is a great bike, I'm sure you'll love it. I vacationed in Ireland, great country, great people. I even kissed the Blarney Stone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dragged my boots and pegs a few times when I got my 900, too. I have to remind myself that it's a cruiser and slow down on the curves.
When I bought my Custom the salesman told me that one of his colleagues had been riding one on a demo day, dragged the right peg into a pothole and ended up down the road, leaving the bike spinning on its pipes ... they had to replace the whole exhaust but fortunately there was no other real damage done to bike or rider.

Got to say I've had no hairy moments on corners, the bike always feels rock solid leaned over, but then I always back off when pegs touch down. I'm sure the bike can take it, I just don't trust road surfaces.

It is a good handling bike for a cruiser, in fact you get a few shocks at first because it turns in quicker than you think. Trouble is compared to a sports bike it doesn't hold a line so well, you never get that 'on rails' feeling and you have to do a lot of adjustment of steering input. But once you get it right, cornering on a bike like this is huge fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can ride from one end of Ireland to the other in about 7 hours or less. Maybe the odd camping trip - cant see me being the bags type.

Mods I want.....in order most likely
Vance and Hines pipes
2/3" Lowering kit
16" Apes
200+ back tyre
Fatter fenders
Debadge and remove decals
Then adjust the orange trim to chrome and other minor aesthetics.

Maybe Id like a new front wheel - not sure I fancy the mag - will let it be a while to see if it grows on me.

Love this bike below, maybe someone on here owns it?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts