Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So there is a 2009 vulcan 900 for sale 2 hours from me, he said he'd take 2800 for it and it's in great condition, garage kept. It has almost 17000 miles on it but he has never had the valves adjusted at the interval.... should I avoid it or go through with it and have the shop do it for me? How much does it cost anyways? Will there be any serious damage/wear from not having them adjusted at the proper interval??

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hope you mean 17,000 miles and not 1,700 which is way too soon to do. I wouldn't avoid it, great price if in the condition you say. I've got a custom and didn't adjust the vales till it close to 28,000 miles with no issues. Only two of the 8 valves required attention. I bought the shim kit on ebay and it was the easiest valve adjustment on a bike I've ever done.

Reactions: ScottsVulcan1500

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you mean 17,000 miles and not 1,700 which is way too soon to do. I wouldn't avoid it, great price if in the condition you say. I've got a custom and didn't adjust the vales till it close to 28,000 miles with no issues. Only two of the 8 valves required attention. I bought the shim kit on ebay and it was the easiest valve adjustment on a bike I've ever done.
Yea sorry lol it's just under 17,000. But damn and you had no issues at all?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, is there any symptoms that valves do need adjusting?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Offer $2500 on the spot and it's yours( or listen to counter offer)!! I went to look at my 2001 1500 (VN1500E) custom the guy wanted $2500 and I offered 2300 and it was mine!! I looked my bike up and in 2001 it sold for $10,000 new! I have the original owners paperwork from the dealership and the salesman!! Cool stuff. Found in the side glove box with the manual etc. Pocket some cash and enjoy!!!!!! GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, is there any symptoms that valves do need adjusting?
The interval is 15k miles not 20k, there is a formatting error. I would not be worried about it not have that service yet.
Well when should I have them checked then?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well when should I have them checked then?
When you get it, if you are handy it is fairly easy to do yourself. Most of the time on this motor only one or two valves need adjustment and are barely out. 2k to 3k would not bother me but that is just me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a owner of a 500 Vulcan for 8 plus years - it is not a beginner bike.
Only in your mind is it that!
I'm sorry but the more I ride that bike the more I start to dislike it hahaha. It's a good bike for what it's meant for, but I'm way too cramped on it for 30+ miles rides.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The way these engines are made they wear very slowly, the required adjustment needed for the two I changed shims on was minimal and it would not have hurt the engine to go many more miles.
It's not like the old days with small screw tappet adjustors on the rocker arm ends that required adjustment every 3k miles because the tappet ends wore.
You would notice probably no difference in sound or running from an adjustment. The major thing involved in the adjustment is more a visual examination of components and premature wear or part failure and these things would make themselves apparent by noise and running poorly but it's always worth a look inside to inspect for premature cam and rocker wear.
And while I said this was the easiest engine I've ever adjusted valves in that didn't mean it took minutes. It was still necessary to remove the fuel tank, plug wires, decorative cam box covers, spark plugs and cam covers to gain access. It's just that the way the engine is designed you check the gap with a feeler gage and if a valve needs adjustment the rocker is spring loaded to one side, you simply slide the rock over use some tweezers to remove the shim, insert the proper one and let the spring push the rock back over to make contact. Then put all back together again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The way these engines are made they wear very slowly, the required adjustment needed for the two I changed shims on was minimal and it would not have hurt the engine to go many more miles.
It's not like the old days with small screw tappet adjustors on the rocker arm ends that required adjustment every 3k miles because the tappet ends wore.
You would notice probably no difference in sound or running from an adjustment. The major thing involved in the adjustment is more a visual examination of components and premature wear or part failure and these things would make themselves apparent by noise and running poorly but it's always worth a look inside to inspect for premature cam and rocker wear.
And while I said this was the easiest engine I've ever adjusted valves in that didn't mean it took minutes. It was still necessary to remove the fuel tank, plug wires, decorative cam box covers, spark plugs and cam covers to gain access. It's just that the way the engine is designed you check the gap with a feeler gage and if a valve needs adjustment the rocker is spring loaded to one side, you simply slide the rock over use some tweezers to remove the shim, insert the proper one and let the spring push the rock back over to make contact. Then put all back together again.
So you think I could ride the rest of this season without worrying about it? Let's say I'll end up with 20kmiles at the end of the summer. Also, I heard issues with the stator in these. If I were to install a speaker should I install a new stator as well?

·
Registered
429 Posts
My beginner bike was the 1997 Vulcan 750 and I'm up to a 1500 now! 😂 😂
The 750 is really not a beginner bike, it’s just lighter weight and its probably the quickest Vulcan of the bikes made during its production run except for the mean streak. Power to weight ratio is a real thing.

there’s a saying “it only takes 250cc to carry a man down the road, anything above that just carries your ego” ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
You could probably go 50k between adjustments without issue, like I said it's more to inspect than adjust.
As for stator I can't comment, you'll need to do some research here.
Bottom line is you shouldn't be afraid of this bike.

Reactions: Macnoah7

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
654 Posts
I'm sorry but the more I ride that bike the more I start to dislike it hahaha. It's a good bike for what it's meant for, but I'm way too cramped on it for 30+ miles rides.
I am thinking about pulling the trigger for a peg lowering kit..its a small piece you put in between the peg and peg mount..so that will be an inch down and an inch forward ..
These 500s run as well as many of thier big brothers...My complaint is they need the pegs a little lower.
Backing up is difficult enough alot of times already..more weight would make it even tougher.
I really like the 500..except for the pegs.
As far as the 900 it may be a perfect fit for you..maybe not
I suggest a long test ride if possible..take your bike with you...and swap for a while and go riding .
For me the Yamahas and Suzukis were pretty comfortable in the eighties and 90s era..a saddle you could move around on..Today the saddle keeps you in one place which brings discomfort sooner.
Imagine sitting on a couch without moving for two hours..its becomes uncomfortable

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Huh that's weird. I downloaded a manual and it says 15k. Is this for a European model or something?
I think they may have changed the recommendation over the years. I don't have it anymore so I can't check, but I'm sure my 07 owner's manual called for valve clearance checks every 7,500 miles. That bike has about 47,000 miles on it and so far hasn't needed any adjustment. We'll be checking it again this year. Maybe it'll need a shim or two by now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts