Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to throw out an introduction here. Might be the wrong area but what can ya do?

Just got home from Iraq a few months back, been re-integrating and fighting the urge to just say F it and go to Afghanistan (its a soldier thing I think). I'm a national guardsman with 6 years in the Guard, 5 of them active duty (various deployments). Just picked up E5 and bought myself a birthday president, 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. Riding history is I got on a harley when I was 5 years old. Rode bikes with my dad all of my childhood until he died on a bike. Mom wouldn't let me ride until I moved out (she still dosent like it). Bought a Shadow 750 when I moved out at 18, rode that until last november when I sold it before leaving to the sandbox. I am 23 now.

Price out the door was about 10,500. Yeah, I know I could have bought used, or an older model, etc, but I fell in love with it at the dealership, and when they told me its the only one they were getting (largest dealership in eastern WA) I said write it up I;m riding it home.

I was originally going to be buying a Victory, but decided that I like getting 50MPG with a bike under 1000cc...1600cc would be nice but you can squeeze twice the miles out of a 900.

So far all I have done is added a battery tender and did the full de-baffle. Really impressed with the sound, it will tide me over until I find my swept pipes for cheap!

I have a few things in the mail, highway bars, a HD fairing inner and outer, a throttle lock, kurakyn battery gauge, headlight visor, ISO Grips, License plate frame, willie and max hooker (no where to hook my straps lol), and some new mirrors with turn signals built in. Also a sissy bar. Lady is going to hate long trips without one so I picked one up before she rides it lol.

Plans are big, I don't want to buy another bike for a long time. I think the 900 is about as good as it gets for a power/fuel balance. I drive a jacked up bronco thats super customized and gets 13 mpg on a good day so MPG is a main reason for me having a bike lol. I want to bob the rear fender like I see tons of guys on here doing, it looks damn good and fairly simple. Going to remove the turn signals on the front when I put on the fairing, want to black out the V-twin tops (I am bike illiterate :( done all my own work on my truck, except gearing, but working on a bike is new) and any other chrome that is on it (might leave some). I want a lower seat position, not because I can't reach the ground but it just feels high to me. I want to put in another seat too, looking for a Kawi gel one, dont want to spend 600 on a mustang (do want to, cant justify it right now).

Well thats me, I'll stop blabbering :)

Any mods you guys know of that are considered a "must-have" for a new vulcan owner?

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Votum, welcome to the forum and thanks for your service to our country. That said, 50 MPG goes away as soon as you start to modify. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake and Cobra Speedster Shorts and the 42-to-43 MPGs I get now for the OEM intake & exhaust and the 50 MPG I was getting back then, just sayin'.
As far as 'must have' mods...what're you sayin'? All my mods are 'must haves':D. Seriously, I'm 5'4" so I would say that the Scootworks LoRidr (lowering) kit and the Scootworks PhatRisers are my must haves. I'm actually gonna trade my PhatRisers for a set of PhatRisers II. Though I find it hard to imagine doing without the intake, exhaust, and seat mods as well:).
Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
987 Posts
900 mods

Welcome to the Forum!

The only thing that I found absolutely necessary was the seat. I had originally bought the bike thinking that my wife would enjoy an easy handling bike like the 900, but when I got it home I decided that it would be a fine BTB bike. Put the 2into1 Cobra on it, little shorty shield for the centermass bugs, and then I got the Saddlemen solo seat. Best thing ever:D I have an 04 V2K as well, but I spend most of my time on the 900 scratchin' pegs.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Have a bunch of parts in the mail, mostly cosmetic. Cool stuff though. I might get some ape hangers, maybe just risers though. Also want to rake the front and lowering the rear will happen for sure :p

·
Registered
491 Posts
I want to welcome you to the forum and thank you for your sevice to our country. Ride safe and enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice purchase, and welcome to the forums!

Also not sure where you are at in eastern WA but check out our local VRA chapter here: http://vulcanriders.us/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

As for mods, some of my favorites were:

Scootworks front overdrive pulley
Rear lowering kit
Handlebar Risers

I second the scootworks front pulley for sure. I just installed mine the other day and WOW what a difference! Should be this way from stock!

·
Registered
658 Posts
welcome to the forum. Thanks for your service. Ride safe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont feel comfortable spending another 200 on stuff lol. If I can find that pulley cheap that will be good. How much does it affect highway RPMs?

I just installed this:
Kuryakyn battery gauge
Integrated turn signal mirrors (they look like a stealth bomber)
Matching rear LED blinkers
Some highway bars/pegs
Sissybar and backrest
battery tender
ghetto fabbed a side mount license plate while I wait for my bracket
headlight cowl
HD fairing with inner fairing
Removed reflectors
Removed plate the license plate/blinkers were attached to
Installed a helmet lock in a unique spot
Kuryakyn grips
Might be more I just forgot :p

Oh I had my seat cut up by an upholsterer who worked in a bike shop for 10 years. Cost 150. He dropped it way down, maybe 3 inches worth, and back a bit. Did it by cutting out the part of the seat pan than curves up to the passenger seat and glueing a strip of leather over it . I still have the stock cover on there, going to get that fixed up soon, havent decided how I want to do it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks the same, he re-used the cover, I jkust havent decided how to make the new one yet. I'll take some pics in the morning, I think its a little lower

1 - 12 of 12 Posts