Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have been feverishly been trying to get good settings on my EJK to eliminate or at least reduce any after fire from the exhaust when decelerating usually from 3rd to 2nd at about 2100 RPM. I was working directly with Dobeck Performance on this issue. I was provided a docking station and access to Power Lab, which allows you modification of fuel curves which you can then save as Hex files then flash your EJK. We tried several variations, including disabling the Green Blue mode and making it a Decel Mode which they usually use on Harley and Victory, which almost always have decel pop. Nothing seemed to work. We tried different pulse widths for the injectors, etc etc etc. This has been going on for a month. Yesterday I loaded the standard map into Power Lab and began looking at the fuel curve. What I noticed was that when you set the EJK to .5 on Green Blue, the cruise fuel is coming on way too soon, Green fuel is based off RPM and since the Idle on the 1700 is set at about 950 rpm there was no need to set the switchpoint so low. I think this was creating a rich condition and adding fuel too early which then gets spewed into the hot pipes and Bang popping when the injectors come on at about 1900 RPM at closed throttle. Rich conditions can also cause popping and after fire from the exhaust.

So today I loaded the factory Hex file for the EJK and my new settings are

Green Fuel = 4
Yellow Fuel = 3.5
Red Fuel 1.5

Green Blue = 6
Yellow Blue = 3
Red Blue 4

These by far are the best settings I have ever used. The shifting was silky smooth, no hesitation anywhere in the power band ad even when the bike was super hot in stop and go traffic I had an occasional muffled after fire from the exhaust. I averaged 42 MPG. The Big Air Kit made a huge improvement on performance and throttle response.

I think this is it boys and girls. These settings are the best I have ever used. I will be doing a Dyno run soon to see if the AFRs are in the ball park. I am so happy right now. Feel free to use the settings and tell me what you think. For those of you without an Air Kit, this may be rich for you but give it a shot. :D

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Look forward to seeing what you get as fter being dynoed...when are planning on doing this?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
where are you located in FL?
Maybe I could ride down with you

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
ahhhhh OK, I thought you were up closer around west palm.. your darn near neighbors with Ray

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
As some of you know I have been feverishly been trying to get good settings on my EJK to eliminate or at least reduce any after fire from the exhaust when decelerating usually from 3rd to 2nd at about 2100 RPM. I was working directly with Dobeck Performance on this issue. I was provided a docking station and access to Power Lab, which allows you modification of fuel curves which you can then save as Hex files then flash your EJK. We tried several variations, including disabling the Green Blue mode and making it a Decel Mode which they usually use on Harley and Victory, which almost always have decel pop. Nothing seemed to work. We tried different pulse widths for the injectors, etc etc etc. This has been going on for a month. Yesterday I loaded the standard map into Power Lab and began looking at the fuel curve. What I noticed was that when you set the EJK to .5 on Green Blue, the cruise fuel is coming on way too soon, Green fuel is based off RPM and since the Idle on the 1700 is set at about 950 rpm there was no need to set the switchpoint so low. I think this was creating a rich condition and adding fuel too early which then gets spewed into the hot pipes and Bang popping when the injectors come on at about 1900 RPM at closed throttle. Rich conditions can also cause popping and after fire from the exhaust.

So today I loaded the factory Hex file for the EJK and my new settings are

Green Fuel = 4
Yellow Fuel = 3.5
Red Fuel 1.5

Green Blue = 6
Yellow Blue = 3
Red Blue 4

These by far are the best settings I have ever used. The shifting was silky smooth, no hesitation anywhere in the power band ad even when the bike was super hot in stop and go traffic I had an occasional muffled after fire from the exhaust. I averaged 42 MPG. The Big Air Kit made a huge improvement on performance and throttle response.

I think this is it boys and girls. These settings are the best I have ever used. I will be doing a Dyno run soon to see if the AFRs are in the ball park. I am so happy right now. Feel free to use the settings and tell me what you think. For those of you without an Air Kit, this may be rich for you but give it a shot. :D
PM'ed you a couple questions...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PM'ed you a couple questions...
Replied to PM. I wish you could see the parameters that the EJK has. In Powerlab you can see that green fuel max is 15% fuel. At a setting of green 4, its only about a 7% addition of fuel which is not much and with thr BAK the engine is starved for gas. When I do the dyno run we will know for sure if I am running rich. I dont see significant deposits of soot on my pipes after nearly 180 miles of riding street and highway yesterday. Bike ran beautiful with almost no after fire from the exhaust.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks. Runnings Chuckers BAK work debaffelef stock exhaust on a Classic. Hope to get the Freedom ,2into1 soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts