Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Took mine in. They "inspected" it (by looking up under the tank without removing it) and then ordered a "guard kit" but no replacement harness. Which, with 5,000 and some change miles, is probably typical. I doubt there is much damage yet.

Am a little curious to see what this "guard kit" entails. Maybe I'll ask them to take a picture of it installed before they reinstall the tank.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Me too, since my 2009 Classic LT showed initial signs of chafing on the wiring insulation in the cited problem area. I addressed the issue myself by adding some wire loom/protective sheathing over the area prone to chafing.
Hammer, the NHTSA investigations use customer input to make a decision if they encourage the maker (Kawasaki in this case) to issue a recall or not. The only way NHTSA can get this information is from customer complains submitted online (HERE) or from dealer records (every Kawasaki dealership submits warranty records to the bike maker as work is completed). From there, it's a matter of failure count vs. vehicle production counts (percent of failures).

My guess is that there were very few complaints submitted or dealer claims from Vulcan Classic models, allowing those vehicles to be avoided in the campaign. Even with a million failures, if very few complained or had the work done while under warranty, there just wouldn't be much showing in their investigation to force the recall on those models.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The Classic and Nomad models also represent only a fraction of the 1700 models sold which is why they have each been dropped from the line (2015 onward is Voyager and Vaquero only). Fewer models, fewer complaints. A cursory glance would probably give you a long list of Voyager/Vaquero owners with the issue and only a few, if any, of the Nomad/Classics. But then, there are far fewer Nomad/Classics "in the wild" than Voyager/Vaqueros. They didn't sell well.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I just called my local dealer and checked on the price of the campaign kit. It was in the $5 to $6 range. Looks like it would be a good repair, so I'm going to order one for my Classic anyway and if they include it later ask for a refund....

Here's info that they listed in case you have already completed repairs on a qualified vehicle:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Reimbursement:
If you have experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and have paid to have it corrected, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement for your documented cost of repair(s). To apply for reimbursement, please send copies of current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation to the following address:

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
ATTN: Consumer Services Department
P.O. Box 25252
Santa Ana, California 92799-5252

Please note the following conditions for reimbursement:
  • Only repairs specifically related to this recall are eligible for reimbursement. Other expenses such as towing, rental, and accommodations will not be refunded.
  • Claims may be excluded if proper documentation is not included. Current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation must be provided.
------------------------------------------------------------

I can't speak for Kawi, but most car companies are flexible to help customers that previously had the problem. I don't see them paying for "do it yourself" repairs, but would image they should be open to any form of other repair costs (even documented non-dealer repairs).

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Here you go Romans... This is the instructions.

Recall Instructions

Thanks Kap. Looks quite robust!

I'm still baffled the Classic/Nomad isn't included. Other than a mere oversight. The NHTSA doesn't know these are the same bikes and need to be told that. They cover a lot of vehicles; literally, every single one licensed for public road use. So it's unfair to expect as much. Nomad and Classic owners who have experienced this issue need to report it. I suspect it will be in the future.

Sidebar: It's also a shame they aren't selling them. But they really didn't sell. I guess once you hit a certain price bracket, people want a certain bike, and a stripped down (comparatively) Classic or Nomad just doesn't fit it for most. And, frankly, that's true for me too. I suppose I'm in that more 'typical' market. But I did like the Nomad and Classic and it's a shame to see them not on the market any longer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
NHTSA recall MC 15-10

Here is the actual link to recall MC 15-10 http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM486235/RCRIT-15V550-5662.pdf]

On another note I entered my VIN in Kawasaki's site and it came up with nothing saying "This VIN number does not have any recall information available" https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/RecallSearch

However, entering in in NHTSA website link https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

found at Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Came up with recall information

·
Registered
246 Posts
just look at the recall notice - it's all in there

Took mine in. They "inspected" it (by looking up under the tank without removing it) and then ordered a "guard kit" but no replacement harness. Which, with 5,000 and some change miles, is probably typical. I doubt there is much damage yet.

Am a little curious to see what this "guard kit" entails. Maybe I'll ask them to take a picture of it installed before they reinstall the tank.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just got my letter for the recall on my 2010 VV. Only 3k on bike I doubt any issue yet.
Wow, a 2010 with 3k miles; was it a leftover when you bought it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
recall

I just called my kawi dealer to book my first oil change and they told me about the recall. they also said that once I drop off the bike that they cannot give it back until they do the repair. they said they ordered the guard kits and should have them in stock before my apointment for the oil change. can they do that?? :surprise::frown2:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I just called my kawi dealer to book my first oil change and they told me about the recall. they also said that once I drop off the bike that they cannot give it back until they do the repair. they said they ordered the guard kits and should have them in stock before my apointment for the oil change. can they do that??
No they can't, but yes they should. :confused:

It's not legal for them to hold your bike, unless you owe them money. In some states they can't even do that. Regardless, sounds like you've got a dealer that really wants to help you and I'd let them do the work. Heck, when I called my dealer they said "what recall?"

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just got my recall letter in the mail. now the letter states that I should not ride the bike until the repairs are completed. my appointment is not until next wednesday. I guess that lets kawi off the hook if something happens from now until next week.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nope, I bought it in 2010 New for 10.5k. I worked in Afghanistan for the next 4 years, then add 1 year disability that kept me from lifting it off the kick stand. So my baby was only ridden for a few weeks every year for the last 5 years. Now I work 7 hours from home so it gets ridden a few days out of the month if lucky. Sure love rolling it out, turning on the stereo and heading down the road for those few days every month when I can. Always stored in garage under bike cover with battery tender attached and a heavy wax coating on every thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got mine done today at the Kawi dealer on the west side of Fort Worth. They had to drain the fuel from the tank, but other than that was pretty straightforward. Luckily I had NOT had any chafing or bare wire, but they installed the kit, which consisted of a wire loom, and a thin rubber pad that went between the tank and frame. I am glad to have it done so I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Got mine done yesterday at the dealership I bought my bike from. It took three days to get the kit in and about an hour to do the repair.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Took my 2014 Voyager in about a month ago. The mechanic came out and told me there was no wear at all, but he installed the "kit", as directed by Kawasaki. I could not be any happier with this dealer. Absolutely fantastic customer service; so rare today!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Took my 2014 Voyager in about a month ago. The mechanic came out and told me there was no wear at all, but he installed the "kit", as directed by Kawasaki. I could not be any happier with this dealer. Absolutely fantastic customer service; so rare today!
Similar experience here. I think the thing about not ordering parts before examining is Kawasaki, not the dealers; I don't think they'll let them. But these stories of refusing to look at the bike or keeping it for days or weeks is just crazy.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts