Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IGNITION SWITCH WIRING INSPECTION--Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has determined that a problem which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Voyager ABS, Vaquero, Vaquero ABS.

Note: VIN/HIN required to search for outstanding recalls.

Recall Date:08/31/2015

Remedy: Your Kawasaki dealer will inspect and repair your motorcycle at no charge. The repair consists of replacing ignition switches that have damaged wires and installing additional shielding and padding. The actual repair will take up to three hours but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts. Please call your Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment.

Risk: On certain units, one of the ignition switch wires could chafe and short against the bottom of the fuel tank. This could result in the engine stalling possibly creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death.

NHTSA Recall #: 15V550

Kawasaki Recall #: MC15-10

Consumer Contact:For more information, contact your authorized Kawasaki dealer or call Kawasaki toll-free at 866-802-9381 between 8:00am and 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I am wondering this as well
I called Kawasaki and the NHTSA and asked why they weren't included. Both said they would look into it. The NHTSA stated that recalls get revised all the time so we shall see.

I already fixed mine myself some time ago and did a friend of mine's Nomad. Reported both as having the issue to dealer back when they were fixed and the NHTSA also just to get the issue on record.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I am wondering this as well
The ignition switch is mixed into the shroud over the tank, on your bikes, that includes the speedometer. Could the different 'shrouds' result in the issue not being the same? Have classic/Nomad owners had the issue?

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
After a little research, the ignition switches with wiring harness are the same part numbers on all 1700's. They mount on the frame and protude through the front of the center piece (shroud) of the fuel tanks on all 1700's. The center piece (shroud) design is the only difference. The issue is the wires rub the bottom the the fuel tank which is the same part number also. So yes, the issue could happen on any if them. My and my friends Nomads both were starting to rub the wire insulation on the tanks when we looked at them and put split wire loom strap tied at the ends to protect the wires. We also were able to change the routing some so they couldn't rub anymore.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks Tim for the site and thanks Ol' School for the explanation of the configurations of the bikes and reporting it to the NHTSA. Hope that Kawasaki asks NHTSA to include Classic and Nomad models or NHTSA makes the determination on their own.

WEG

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This is a really easy fix. It takes about 5 minutes.

I have repaired the wire chafe on three 1700's. All of them had over 15,000 miles on them and were due for coolant flush and change anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi this is the replay I got back from Kawasaki uk

We are pleased to confirm your machine (the VN1700D series) is not affected. The recent announcement was relating to VN1700B and VN1700K series.

I trust the enclosed information will be of assistance to you.

Yours sincerely,

Simon Chitty

·
Registered
637 Posts
I ran my 2013 Nomad's VIN against this check and it didn't come up with any recall notice - so I guess that it's only the Voyagers and Vaqueros.
I'd still get in there for a look, and wrap the wires / ensure they're away from the tank - as a preventative measure?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi this is the replay I got back from Kawasaki uk

We are pleased to confirm your machine (the VN1700D series) is not affected. The recent announcement was relating to VN1700B and VN1700K series.

I trust the enclosed information will be of assistance to you.

Yours sincerely,

Simon Chitty
They are full of crap! A 1700 tank is a 1700 Tank. all three models have the same wiring and tank.

The fix takes 5-10 minutes tops. Once you have the tank off though there will be other things to do, like cleaning and polishing the head covers. This link will show how http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/98114-step-step-coolant-flush-change.html

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
They are full of crap! A 1700 tank is a 1700 Tank. all three models have the same wiring and tank.

The fix takes 5-10 minutes tops. Once you have the tank off though there will be other things to do, like cleaning and polishing the head covers. This link will show how http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/98114-step-step-coolant-flush-change.html
Exactly! That is why I had called the NHTSA and filed a safety complaint on the issue of not having ALL 1700's included. They stayed they would look into it and the recall could be amended. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just check my 2012 Voyagers vin and said "We cannot determine if a recall is outstanding at this time. Please check back later or follow-up with your local Kawasaki dealer." I have 37,900 miles on it as of today. Sofar, have not noticed any chafing on the wires, but will be pulling the tank tomorrow to check it again.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I received what looks to be the formal Kawasaki notice in the mail today. Didn't open it, but tucked it away for when I bring it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts

replay from Kawasaki uk

Dear Phil,

We can confirm the fuel tanks differ between the VN1700 Classic range and the other models. As a result the design on the underside of the Classic fuel tank differs from that of the Voyager and Bagger.

For this reason there is no cause for concern with regards to the VN1700 Classic range.

We trust the enclosed information will be of assistance to you.

Yours sincerely,

T

·
0 Posts
I just got my recall notice today... I've had the bike for almost 4 years. WTH?

·
Registered
364 Posts
So I wonder why the 1700 Classic and 1700 Nomads are not included in this recall?
Me too, since my 2009 Classic LT showed initial signs of chafing on the wiring insulation in the cited problem area. I addressed the issue myself by adding some wire loom/protective sheathing over the area prone to chafing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just check my 2012 Voyagers vin and said "We cannot determine if a recall is outstanding at this time. Please check back later or follow-up with your local Kawasaki dealer." I have 37,900 miles on it as of today. Sofar, have not noticed any chafing on the wires, but will be pulling the tank tomorrow to check it again.
I got the same thing when checking online, then got the letter in the mail yesterday.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts