Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I have a 2011 1700 it has a ticking noise I’ve had it to the dealer they replaced the lifters it went away but it’s back it seems to do it after riding for a while I’m wondering if I put 20/50 synthetic in it will help but I don’t want to void my warranty

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2012 Nomad and the engine is noisy. A little ticking won't hurt the motor but if it is loud enough it is irritating. I always run synthetic in mine also and it really helps with engine noise and the shifting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what I’m going to do I had it to the dealer they replaced the lifters in the rear cylinder it stopped for a little while but it’s back they can’t figure it out either

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
You don't show where you live, but 20W-50 is only necessary if you are in a hotter climate area, and would probably actually make the ticking worse, if you are not. 20W-50 will not void your warranty, as long as it is compatible with a wet clutch. The 1700 manuals list it for use in higher temp climes. I use 10W-40 for winter riding and 20W-50 for summer, here in Georgia.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I’m in Knoxville
Knoxville has similar, but a little lower average temps to Atlanta, so 20W-50 might be the oil of choice for summer riding. If you only ride when the temps are above 65°F, then you might want to use it. If you only change the oil about once a year and you ride with it gets cooler, I would not recommend it, though. I definitely would not run 20W-50 if you would ride a lot when the temps drop into the 40s or lower.

I change the oil at 4000 miles. Long days cruising on the highway, like on a cross country trip are actually easier on oil (the industry definition of "normal"), so I will push it to 4500 miles then. In addition to Southern heat, I ride a lot in the mountains, a lot of stop and go city riding, and a lot of short rides, all of which are considered "extreme" riding conditions. Most years, I ride enough that it is not an inconvenience to change it twice a year to match the season. I just make sure that I have the right oil in it for the current temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m thinking just to go full synthetic 10/40 maybe it will help some I don’t know it’s just an annoying tick I’ll just ride till it flys apart sometimes the tick is loud sometimes you can’t hear it I guess it’s just the nature of the 1700 beast

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with Sabre-T. Run 10/40 in the winter and change over to 20/50 in the summer. I ride all year here in southern NC and if it ends up being a cold winter I will run Rotella for a few months then switch back before it turns hot. But either way, synthetic does make my Nomad sound and run smoother.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've always found that the best answer to all those worrying little ticking & clacking sounds - is a pair of good quality molded ear plugs. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
  • I have a 2011 1700 it has a ticking noise I’ve had it to the dealer they replaced the lifters it went away but it’s back it seems to do it after riding for a while I’m wondering if I put 20/50 synthetic in it will help but I don’t want to void my warranty
My '13 1700 has a slight tick at times. Usually, after warming up good for a few minutes and holding it up (off the kick-stand) the tick goes away. I think it's pretty common for this engine. I've asked a couple of knowledgeable mechanics about it and the response is always "just ride it".

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan Classic 1500 fi / 2009 Vulcan Classic LT / 2010 VOYAGER ABS
9 Posts
I have a 2009 1700 LT and I tried to run Rotella T6 full synthetic in it (10/40) and it did not like it, it made a lot of noise so I changed it out and put Quicksilver 10/40 and it quieted up right now. I also have a voyager 1700 and it has no problem with the Rotella
go figure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts