Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all , I'm in desperate need of advice , on tuesday my bike stardted to sputter and lose power intermittently so I figured the spark plugs need to be replaced , so I went out and got new ones (iridium type CPR7EAIX-9) , I changed them wednesday took it for a spin and the bike ran fine , came to work yesterday (I ride my bike to work everyday) it's a 42 mile round trip and it ran ok . Today half way to work it started to sputter and lose power again, when it stops running I can start it again right away and it idles ok and it runs ok for a cuople of yards or even a couple of miles and then it starts to lose power again I managed to get to work and as soon as the engine was cool I took out the spark plugs and they look ok with no fouling , so my question is has anybody experienced a similar situation , any ideas on how to fix this problem ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
112 Posts
mileage on bike more info needed

fuel pump?? Fuel injectors??
how old is your battery??? - fuel injected bike needs a good reference voltage from battery 12volts!~!

How about you got a tank full of bad gas.

Maybe run some Seafoam in gas tank and get a fresh tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Suggest checking the battery. Kawi spec. is a minimum 12.71 v. with everything switched off. If it passes that test suggest having it load tested - don't know about Mexico City but in the U.S. some auto supply stores will test for no cost. Post back with results. If it is OK one of our diagnostic experts such as sfair may be able to help resolve the problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the suggestions , i've already changed the stator and battery about a year ago and i read the thread back then as you are suggesting , i'll go down to Autozone to have the battery load tested as the reading with a multimeter I have here at work is 12.8 V and the motor turns ok with the starter and fires up right away , also the headlight shines ok and brightens up just a little when I rev it up , the problem stared around two days after I filled her up but I will drain the gas it has and fill her up with fresh gas , I'll also check the fuel pump although it seems to work right , do any one knows what the working pressure should be ? And lastly if all this does not cure the problem I ?m going to have the injectors checked , any more ideas ? All of them are greatly appreciated . Once again thank you all for your advice

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
you've filled up the tank but got some gas in the tank air vent line? causes a vacuum in the tank and cuts off fuel flow, try blowing out gas out of that air vent line

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fuel pump?? Fuel injectors??
how old is your battery??? - fuel injected bike needs a good reference voltage from battery 12volts!~!

How about you got a tank full of bad gas.

Maybe run some Seafoam in gas tank and get a fresh tank of gas.
Sorry I didn't payed attention to thr title on your post the bike has 65,470 miles and I drive it on a daily basis to work and back plus the weekend pleasure rides :smile2:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Do not mess with Seafoam, coils, injectors or fuel pump just yet.

Have the battery load tested and post back with results.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello , I had the battery load tested and it came out OK , also the charging sistem checked out OK , now I'm trying to find a shop that can perform a coil test like the one explainded in the manual , I did my own test taking the spark plug wires off and attaching a spark plug then grounding it to the engine and cranking it for a few seconds and the spark seemed to be OK , I made this test both with the engine cold and hot . Also I have checked the wiring harness looking for any loose conectors or any damaged wires and everything seems OK .

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. If a coil was failing, it would show on the plugs.
2. I doubt that both coils would fail together.
3. If one did fail, a restart would not fix it.
4. When it sputters, does the FI light come on or flicker?
5. How did you test and what readings did you get for the charging system?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have you tried to read any fault codes from the FI ECU? I've never done this on my Vulcan, but it's a great help with the car. My understanding is you ground a pin on the ECU connector somewhere, then count the flashes on the FI light. Someone who's done this can explain it better than I can. If there aren't any fault codes, that narrows down the issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1. If a coil was failing, it would show on the plugs.
2. I doubt that both coils would fail together.
3. If one did fail, a restart would not fix it.
4. When it sputters, does the FI light come on or flicker?
5. How did you test and what readings did you get for the charging system?
Hello there , here's an update after going over all the suggestions I could not find anything wrong so I took a long ride and it ran fine so this morning I rode it to work and it ran fine all the way here unlike the other day that it started failing I will ride it back and see how it behaves I'm really puzzled . On point four I haven't paid attention when it starts sputtering I will be more attentive next time it happens , on point five I took the bike to Autozone and they tested it.

Thank you all for your advice

·
Registered
447 Posts
Archie, so it seems apart from checking various things, disconnecting and reconnecting, the only other thing you did was change the gas. I remember you said this problem first showed up 2 days after the previous fill up. Sounds to me like you found the problem, and I might steer clear of that gas station for a while.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it seems that the gas was the culprit , I'm not ready to claim victory yet though ,Ill post any further developments shall they occur, THANK'S A LOT to all you guys that were kind enough to give me advice I really appreciate it .

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Don’t think too hard. When did it last run well? Did it sit over the winter? If so, the ethanol fuel turned to gel. Run a heavy dose of Seafoam through the tank to clear it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts