Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride yesterday, and immediately noticed a strong odor of raw gasoline. No noticeable leaks on or under the bike, but a very strong smell of gas. New air filter installed last week, old one smelled very "gassy". Bike seems to run fine, but is very smelly. Any thoughts from the group???

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
How does the gas cap/tank venting seem to be?

Is the smell there only within a period of time after a ride or is it that way all the time?

The bike seems to run fine but do you know if the gas mileage has taken a hit (gone down) or is it the same as whatever is normal for you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VN750GUY...The venting appears to be fine. I get that high pitched whistle after a ride for a bit. The dealer says that is normal.

The smell is there all the time, of course it is much stronger when sitting still as opposed to on the highway, but it is still noticeable on the highway.

I THINK the mileage is worse, when riding the Distance to Empty seems to be in line with previous trips, BUT, the Fuel gauge does not reflect that. Also the Average Fuel Economy has not changed.

This is my first full tank since the smell appeared.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The points I made are general ones that anyone could think of, really. As my bike has two carbs, and I am not familiar with the physical layout of the Voyager or fuel injection specifically, I'm probably not the best one to troubleshoot the issue.

Other Voyager (or 1700) riders can pitch-in here and comment on if theirs also makes that "vent whistle" sound. All that I can say is that I've never heard my own bike whistle, but its a different species machine so that may not have any validity in your case.

NOT seeing any obvious signs of drippage or leakage would seem to lessen any worries about it being a fire hazard, but I would continue to observe for that after each ride where the gas smell occurs.

You said the old air filter smelled gassy but you didn't say if the current prevailing overall smell was present before. Aside from changing the air filter was anything else done or touched?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first observed the smell, I first checkedfor noticeable leaks....NONE. I used the sniff test to point towards the Air Filter, and when I checked the air filter, I found it smelled "gassy", then changed it out for new. The smell did not stop after that. Nothing else has been done to the bike. It is bone stock. No "tuner", no pipes etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have you checked the tank vent rubber hose? I forgot to hook that up once after doing some work - strong gas odor.

Good luck!

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all;

Thanks for the responses. After a trip to my local Kawasaki dealer we found a leaking seal in and around the fuel injection system. Parts on order and should be here soon. Hoping my extended warranty covers this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi all;

Thanks for the responses. After a trip to my local Kawasaki dealer we found a leaking seal in and around the fuel injection system. Parts on order and should be here soon. Hoping my extended warranty covers this.
Warranty should cover. Just a suggetion....I would stay on top of the incoming parts to make sure they are not backordered. I had my radiator fan motor break with 3500 miles on my 2016. It was a couple of weeks before they advised part was on backorder. None to be had in USA! They told me motor was on a boat coming from Japan. I called Kawasaki HQ and after a conversation about how disappointed I was for not having such a part for a brand new bike, they airshipped one to my dealer from Japan. Installed 7 days later. I read too that someone had same issue with a rectifier.....none in USA and being shipped from Japan.

Good luck! Hope the parts are in stock.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Glad you found the cause. I've noticed a slight gas smell when applying lots of throttle since I got my ECU flashed. I don't know if the two are related but I'll checking the injector seals just in case. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warranty should cover. Just a suggetion....I would stay on top of the incoming parts to make sure they are not backordered. I had my radiator fan motor break with 3500 miles on my 2016. It was a couple of weeks before they advised part was on backorder. None to be had in USA! They told me motor was on a boat coming from Japan. I called Kawasaki HQ and after a conversation about how disappointed I was for not having such a part for a brand new bike, they airshipped one to my dealer from Japan. Installed 7 days later. I read too that someone had same issue with a rectifier.....none in USA and being shipped from Japan.

Good luck! Hope the parts are in stock.
RANT ON!!!

.....and the parts are on the slow boat from Japan. WTF. These engines have been around since 2009 in 4 different models. Why are there no parts available in North America? I sent an email to Kawasaki Canada, and the sound of the crickets from those idiots is deafening. In other words, no reply to my email. My first repair took 5 weeks to get parts from Japan (final drive bearing), my second repair is entering its third week, needless to say, I'm contemplating a Harley Davidson trade, as at least they have parts in North America.

RANT OFF!!! Deep cleansing breath.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow. A real pattern here Sully015 of unavailable parts. Sorry to hear that. I started off tweeting Kawasaki USA when I had my issue. They took like 72 hours to respond but that is what started the ball on them airshipping my parts from Japan. I see you are in Alberta...you might try tweeting Canadian Kawasaki.

@CanadaKawasaki

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts