Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow I lost the one key to my 2001 1500. The dealership says I need to remove the ignition switch in order to see the serial number so they can cut a new key. First of, does anyone know another way to get a new key? And if not, how do I remove the switch? Are there any videos available?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I talked to a guy at the lock smith. He was telling me about some guys with the exact issue you have. Call one near you to see if they can help. I know the one I chatted to can make one from your bike.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Some locksmiths (usually 'mobile' locksmiths) have a tool that can 'measure' the tumblers in a lock so that the locksmith can cut a new key.

My neighbor had that done a while back. Lost his car keys, called the mobile locksmith in town, he came out with his van and a few tools and had them a new key in about 30 minutes.

BUT... it would probably be cheaper to remove the ignition switch and get them a serial number. Heck, it might even be cheaper to get a used ignition switch and key from eBay.

Also, bring ID and registration to the dealer. I had to get a new key for my Ford and they didn't tell me over the phone, but, when I got there I had to prove I was who I was and my car was owned by me before they would cut a key based on the VIN. So I had to drive all the way home and get the registration papers and then go back.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Some locksmiths (usually 'mobile' locksmiths) have a tool that can 'measure' the tumblers in a lock so that the locksmith can cut a new key.

My neighbor had that done a while back. Lost his car keys, called the mobile locksmith in town, he came out with his van and a few tools and had them a new key in about 30 minutes.

BUT... it would probably be cheaper to remove the ignition switch and get them a serial number. Heck, it might even be cheaper to get a used ignition switch and key from eBay.

Also, bring ID and registration to the dealer. I had to get a new key for my Ford and they didn't tell me over the phone, but, when I got there I had to prove I was who I was and my car was owned by me before they would cut a key based on the VIN. So I had to drive all the way home and get the registration papers and then go back.
I did this with a Yamaha ATV I had. I lost keys and went to a dealership to get the key. I still had the little tag that came with the key and they asked me to bring the title and my license and they could get me one.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
2 things...
1. the vin is useless for getting a key cut on a bike... the only good #s are the ones from those lil key bits and on some models form the rear of the ignition switch

2. getting a new/used ignition and key is a great solution.. untill ya have to fuel up !!!!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
2 things...
1. the vin is useless for getting a key cut on a bike... the only good #s are the ones from those lil key bits and on some models form the rear of the ignition switch

2. getting a new/used ignition and key is a great solution.. untill ya have to fuel up !!!!
My old 650 nighthawk was like that when I bought it. I had one key for the ignition and another for the gas cap.

·
1,172 Posts
My old 650 nighthawk was like that when I bought it. I had one key for the ignition and another for the gas cap.
guees the previous owner either replaced the ignition or the fuel cap......

but in the op's situation if he dont have the ignition key he cant open his fuel cap.....well not in one piece anyways

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
guees the previous owner either replaced the ignition or the fuel cap......

but in the op's situation if he dont have the ignition key he cant open his fuel cap.....well not in one piece anyways
I knew the PO of that bike. ( I bought it off a neighbor). He had to replace the ignition. I was just talking about the annoying part of having to have 2 keys and one bouncing around on the key rig beating your bike up and making all sorts of noise.

·
1,172 Posts
on a side note.... what year was you nighthawk ?... i had an 83 650

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It was either an 83 or 85. I do not remember but I do remember it was either one your older or one year younger than me and I was born in 84

·
Registered
23 Posts
Once you get your $10 or $20 key from the dealer, take it to Walmart or some such place and have 2 more made for a dollar or 2 each. Fix a good hiding place on the bike for one of the spares.,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been told that on the back side of the helmet lock you can find the code for the key. Haven't looked into it myself but might be worth a look. Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had a near miss not long ago when I stayed with a friend at his cottage and when I packed up to go I could not find the key even after I unpacked everything, luckily I did locate in in the grass where I must have dropped it.

I went to the hardware to get a spar made that I could keep with the bike but they and two other places said they did not have a blank. Has any had any luck making keys?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Find a hardware store that has a manual key cutter and buy the blanks online. Places like wal-mart that have the cartridge based "any idiot can do it" machines won't work, us there's probably some policy against it I'm sure. But the local hardware store should get you fixed up.

Just google for Kawasaki key blanks. You can get them cheap online. In fact, my local ace store cuts them for free if you bring in the blank if they aren't real busy. He doesn't like to charge if he can't guarantee them. Since he doesn't stock then, if they don't work they can't do anything about it. But they always do!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got my extra made at the locksmith for 5 bucks.
That is when he was telling me about the people only having one key and losing it to there bikes.
Said he would charge over 100 bucks to make a key. He would ask if they wanted an extra and some would still only leave with one key.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I got my extra made at the locksmith for 5 bucks.
That is when he was telling me about the people only having one key and losing it to there bikes.
Said he would charge over 100 bucks to make a key. He would ask if they wanted an extra and some would still only leave with one key.
Tripping over dollars to pinch a penny!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Somehow I lost the one key to my 2001 1500. The dealership says I need to remove the ignition switch in order to see the serial number so they can cut a new key. First of, does anyone know another way to get a new key? And if not, how do I remove the switch? Are there any videos available?

Thanks
You may be better off dealing with a locksmith instead of the dealer. You would still most likely have to purchase the blank key from the dealer since most locksmiths don't carry a large inventory of motorcycle keys. Let your fingers do the walking. Call around to various locksmith shops and see if they can help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Find a hardware store that has a manual key cutter and buy the blanks online. Places like wal-mart that have the cartridge based "any idiot can do it" machines won't work, us there's probably some policy against it I'm sure. But the local hardware store should get you fixed up.

Just google for Kawasaki key blanks. You can get them cheap online. In fact, my local ace store cuts them for free if you bring in the blank if they aren't real busy. He doesn't like to charge if he can't guarantee them. Since he doesn't stock then, if they don't work they can't do anything about it. But they always do!
That is what I did for my 1500 Classic I purchased used. The PO one gave me 1 key so the first thing I done was got a blank and went to the local hardware store and get a new one cut and put away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts