Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put some apes on my bike like maybe 12 or 14 inches. I have a 2007 custom and already have a pair of stock classic risers for the job. Am I correct that I want the non-dimpled kind or does it matter? Also, if I need to change cables what tools are required? I'm going to be doing this myself, so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance for any help.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've been watching your thread for awhile and surprised nobody answered. I just put mini apes on my classic LT , I went with 9" bars for I didn't have to mess with the cables at all and make it as painless as possible. I just called a buddy that just installed 16" bars on his custom and he said with the stock classic risers and 12" bars you may get away with rerouting your cable but if not he said it's not to hard to change them. As far as tools, it doesn't require any special tools. If you don't have some, I would go to wal mart and pick up a cheap set of metric allen sockets they come in a yellow plastic sleeve of about $10-$12 and they come in handy on our 9's. what ever you do, I hope you post some pics when your done. Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am going to come across as obnoxious at best, but I have never understood the appeal of ape hangers or even risers.
I know that everybody has seen those before, but it still begs the question: Why would anyone want something like this?
Doesn't the guy get sore after a few minutes riding like this?
Isn't it even dangerous to be hanging like an ape on his bike handle bars? I am guessing the guy crashed his bike at least a dozen times.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am going to come across as obnoxious at best, but I have never understood the appeal of ape hangers or even risers.
I know that everybody has seen those before, but it still begs the question: Why would anyone want something like this?
Doesn't the guy get sore after a few minutes riding like this?
Isn't it even dangerous to be hanging like an ape on his bike handle bars? I am guessing the guy crashed his bike at least a dozen times.

I don't think anyone in their RIGHT mind would install apes like those or the exhaust like he has. I like the look of my 9" apes on my classic lt, I can't wait to take it out to see how they feel.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't think anyone in their RIGHT mind would install apes like those or the exhaust like he has. I like the look of my 9" apes on my classic lt, I can't wait to take it out to see how they feel.

Yours are not bad after all. But in all honesty, I prefer the stock bars feel and look. It has a retro feel to it I truly enjoy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Am I correct that I want the non-dimpled kind or does it matter? Also, if I need to change cables what tools are required? I'm going to be doing this myself, so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance for any help.
Dimples, or not really doesn't matter. Knurled or not does. I would highly suggest you get properly knurled bars... or better yet if you go above 10 inches, would be to pin the bars. Knurling will help keep the bars from twisting in the risers while riding (think panic stops, not highway cruising). It's basically just a non-smooth section of metal where the risers hold the handlebars.

If you get a set of Harley bars, the knurling will probably be in the wrong spot. H-D risers are usually spaced 3.5 inches apart where most metrics are spaced 4 inches apart. Be sure to get the spacing right for your application.

Pinning is where you drill a hold into the risers and through the handlebars once you get them at the proper angle and then slide a pin through the handlebars and into the risers. Then the handlebars cannot spin or rotate once installed.

Basic garage tools are all that's needed to swap out the cables... as long as you have a buddy to help drain the brake fluid (or get a Mighty Vac).

Good luck!
Bo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mouka I think 50% of those who go to apes do it for the look, and the other 50% do it for their back. Apparently it's much less stressful for those with lower back/spine issues. Sometimes I like the look, sometimes no. As for your buddy hanging off the super high apes, dunno what to say, whatever floats yer boat I guess!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mouka I think 50% of those who go to apes do it for the look, and the other 50% do it for their back. Apparently it's much less stressful for those with lower back/spine issues. Sometimes I like the look, sometimes no. As for your buddy hanging off the super high apes, dunno what to say, whatever floats yer boat I guess!
It's one of those "don't waste your time discussing taste issues!".
Personally, I love the 1920s or 1930s feel of the stock handle bars. There is nothing that I would change to my handle bars.
The only addition I will make is crash bars.
Other than that, I am 100% satisfied with the looks and performance of my bike.
I have never had a chance to ride a Harley, but I did ride almost all the Japanese cruisers there is, and the 900 is right there at the top. Even the heel-toe shifter is better than all the others I have tried before.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Diehard, your bike is turning out very nice there buddy. Swapping my mini 8's to 12's for this spring. The 8's I have on now atop stock risers with 2" extensions is not cutting it. I need a more pullback. Besides I want to put my first choice Hogtunes to the Memphis batwing fairing. The minis on it now is narrow and doesn't fit. The new 12" apes will have 10" center and 10" pullback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks guys for all the help, no one was responding for awhile there. I have some 12 inchers coming in the mail, so hopefully everything goes alright.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A bunch of "old heads" told me that taller bars would help with the lower back pain on long rides. I didn't believe it at first but the bars were a lot cheaper than a seat with a backrest so I gave it a shot. I was very happy with the results. The only drawback I have found is they put my cuffs straight in front of me so on a cool day it would be unpleasant without gauntlet gloves or a jacket with tight cuffs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can always the change risers and bars for a better ride. But then again some bikes look better with apes

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Nitro, I'd be interested in how the taller bars look with the batwing. I have a 10" bar setting around left over from my last bike and am contemplating installing it on my Kaw....but have hesitated due to the batwing. I absolutely love the batwing when traveling.... helps cut down on a lot of the big truck buffeting and great for rain coverage....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nitro, I'd be interested in how the taller bars look with the batwing. I have a 10" bar setting around left over from my last bike and am contemplating installing it on my Kaw....but have hesitated due to the batwing. I absolutely love the batwing when traveling.... helps cut down on a lot of the big truck buffeting and great for rain coverage....
I too love the batwing also. If you click on the link under my profile. There is a pic from front and back that it still hides my hands from the wind because of the shape of the bars. That is with 8" minis from Road6customs with 2" riser extentions under stock risers. The pictures of the bars are black so it's kinda hard to tell what it looks like. My new 12"s coming in on Tuesday will be chrome. When I do get a chance to install it. I will be sure to post pics with and witout the batwing fairing.

BTW...the 10" you have will not require a cable swap. Just reroute. I still have play with the stock cable setup I have now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I too love the batwing also. If you click on the link under my profile. There is a pic from front and back that it still hides my hands from the wind because of the shape of the bars. That is with 8" minis from Road6customs with 2" riser extentions under stock risers. The pictures of the bars are black so it's kinda hard to tell what it looks like. My new 12"s coming in on Tuesday will be chrome. When I do get a chance to install it. I will be sure to post pics with and witout the batwing fairing.

BTW...the 10" you have will not require a cable swap. Just reroute. I still have play with the stock cable setup I have now.
I really like the way you have your bike setup "looks great". I wanted to get a batwing but now with the new bars i'm not for sure it would look right plus I would have to have it painted to match the bike where your lucky and didn't have to worry about paint matching. I ordered the 9" bars because I also had the 2" extentions but I took out the extentions because the clutch side cable were a little to tight and the break side didn't quite reach and didnt feel like rerouting my cables at the time. I know it didn't happen last yr but this yr we'll have to set a date, time and place to hook up for that ride and maybe ride over to poopy's in Savanna IL.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
What brand 9" hangers did you buy?

I've been watching your thread for awhile and surprised nobody answered. I just put mini apes on my classic LT , I went with 9" bars for I didn't have to mess with the cables at all and make it as painless as possible. I just called a buddy that just installed 16" bars on his custom and he said with the stock classic risers and 12" bars you may get away with rerouting your cable but if not he said it's not to hard to change them. As far as tools, it doesn't require any special tools. If you don't have some, I would go to wal mart and pick up a cheap set of metric allen sockets they come in a yellow plastic sleeve of about $10-$12 and they come in handy on our 9's. what ever you do, I hope you post some pics when your done. Good luck!
Mind posting a link? Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mind posting a link? Thanks!
I don't have my 9 anymore, traded it for my Vaquero and loving it. I got my bars from JP Cycles, I looked for them and I couldn't find them so they must not carry them anymore. But here's a link to some similar bars but their 11' rise and I had 9.5" rise. You shouldn't have to reroute the cables as long as your using the stock riser. JP Cycles is a 165 miles from you, you'll get em in 2 days maybe 3. Hope this help!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000760

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts