Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I’m a new motorcycle owner. I have a Vulcan 1600 Classic. I am 6’4” & 300lbs. I know my handlebars are 1” other than that I’m not sure where to start. My current handlebars are stock. I’m thinking I want 10” mini apes. Not sure what brand or style. No sure if I need risers or if I need to extend the cables and how to measure for that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Ttotheb,
Welcome to the forum...
Suggest you use the search feature in the top right corner...
The 1600’s came out in 2003 so 15 years of mods and such are available...
Plus the Vulcan Gadget webpage...

The short answer is yes you can add ape hangers, for a price...

Going too high will cost a lot...
You’ll have to get new throttle cables, longer brake lines, longer clutch lines and extend all the wiring on both left and right sides of the bars...
Could run you in excess of 500 bucks...

Research it and you might find a compromise by rerouting everything under the triple tree and not go so high...

Good luck in your endeavor!!!

Let’er BUCK !!!
Seven O’ Nine !!!
Luckymann77

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just added santee's 11" dresser Apes I'm 6'4 330 they're very comfortable I got them for $70. They're a 2" bar but cut down to a 1" on the grips and the mounting area so you can use your stock risers. I did end up having to get longer front brake line the clutch line fits but it's tight and I'm about to replace that with a longer one while I was at it I bought new rear brake line all the lines are galfer steel braided lines big Improvement Overstock rubber lines. Hope this helps good luck man!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Mine are listed at 9.5" rise and I added an additional 1" riser extension...
You should be OK with a 10" rise...

If you try it and it doesn't work, you can reroute whatever line/wire that is the issue to "under the triple tree"...
Without having to purchase anything additional...

Let'er Buck,
Seven O'Nine!!!
Luckymann77

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you try it and it doesn't work, you can reroute whatever line/wire that is the issue to "under the triple tree"...
Without having to purchase anything additional...
I installed some 10inch apes and my clutch cable is still very tight. I know this sounds simple but to get it to fit I literally cut the zipties connecting it to the frame on the right side, and pulled it through to the left side behind the radiator directly to the handlebars.

This is not right is it? If anyone would please show me or coach me on what Im doing wrong Id be eternally grateful

1 - 6 of 6 Posts