Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all-

I downed my bike at around 25 mph 2 weeks ago. Broke both arms. Bike has a dented tank and scuffs on headlight as well as passenger back rest. It was on its side for a while.... Now it wont start.

Any ideas on what to do to get her running?

Shes a 2009 Vulcan 900 SE with 1400 miles on her.

Also- Need a new tank.. Ive checked ebay... Any ideas on where to get a replacement tank? thanks!!

thank you all again

·
Registered
295 Posts
There's lots of reasons that it won't start but the most obvious is the tip-over sensor that shuts the engine off when you crash.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
remove spark plug and check for spark, best way to check ignition is to purchase a tool the put between spark plug and ignition cap wire. you can get those on ebay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replys guys and sorry ive been away... just got my bike back today... so now i can troubleshoot it.

I had my battery tested and charged... put it in the bike.. turned the key and nothing... no lights no noises nothing... checked my 30amp fuse and it is good...

any ideas on what to check next ?

thank you

·
Registered
140 Posts
considering you are still recovering from the "bike down"... I personally would defer to the guys who are at the shop doing what they do... err working on motorcycles...
just sayin and I don't do much wrenching so take it with a grain of salt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
considering you are still recovering from the "bike down"... I personally would defer to the guys who are at the shop doing what they do... err working on motorcycles...
just sayin and I don't do much wrenching so take it with a grain of salt
I hear you... for sure... but do to a couple of factors my brother and i are having to take a crack at it.

Thanks for any help direction or ideas you all have

·
Banned
148 Posts
any ideas on what to check next ?
You're gonna need a multi-meter and a wiring diagram next.

Even though it tested good, it is still possible that the battery is bad.
If it is the same one that was in the bike when it went down, I think that is likey.......but you need a meter to find out. Don't just start buying parts on a wild guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're gonna need a multi-meter and a wiring diagram next.

Even though it tested good, it is still possible that the battery is bad.
If it is the same one that was in the bike when it went down, I think that is likey.......but you need a meter to find out. Don't just start buying parts on a wild guess.
Thanks for the reply.

I do have a multi-meter but no wiring diagram.

The battery is right under 12 volts as it sits that should be enough to get something on the instrument cluster correct? The whole bike is just dead

thanks!

·
Banned
148 Posts
The battery is right under 12 volts as it sits that should be enough to get something on the instrument cluster correct?
NO, likely not.

Normal is 12.6; 12.0 or under with no load usually indicates fully discharged or defective.

Measure again with the ignition turned ON. I suspect it will go down to almost nothing.

Also could be a loose or corroded main connection.

Charge the battery first but if it's really bad it may not work even then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NO. If that was the problem, at least some lights would come on.

Well.......yes, those things could be bad.......but they would not cause the present problem of being completely dead.
Thanks Man-

Put a new battery on her and she fired right up...

Learn something new everyday.

Much Appreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts