Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new guy here out of Jersey....:eek: Iv'e been trolling the internet like a madman ever since I put a deposite on a 2009 (new/leftover) Vulcan 900 classic. It seems the TSB reports a scary issue with the "crankcase oil passage may
not have been machined correctly. This can cause oil starvation resulting in severe engine damage" :eek: my belated question is WTF...I can't find any details other than the fact this problem exist. Could any one please shine some light on this....I'm trying for logic here-that their not gonna sell a bike with with known issues, but that's logic:beat-up::beat-up: Any help would be appreciated
:confused:Thanks

·
Registered
487 Posts
First time I've heard of the problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fore your quick reply. Yeah same here, till I started looking around some more. I found the leaky tank issue and figured Wow! Is that the only issue...But low and behold I found it after I dropped a big deposite and aspirations on it. I just don't want to believe they'd sell it without doing the fix Worse yet- claim they did and be stuck

·
Registered
33 Posts
While anything's possible, if it were a recurring or common problem, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have been brought up in these forums.

I bought my left over 09 900 classic late last Sept. Other than the stock seat not being comfortable (discussed at great length) and the lack of a 6th gear, I'm completely satisfied with mine. No technical problems at all.

I believe you're in for a great experience.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My 9 has 2400 miles on it, and doesn't sound or run much like it has a poorly machined crankcase oil passage. My friend, who bought his within days of me, probably has 9k on the clock, and his runs fine. 2 other friends also bought leftover '09s last summer, and neither of them have had any issues. I wouldn't sweat it, man.

And, *sigh* I like the stock seat just fine. Maybe it's cuz I got some ghetto booty on me tho. Runs in the family ;P

I would like to add that doing internet research is a two-edged sword. You can find negative feedback on anything, and it's usually more plentiful than positive feedback. Pissed off folks are louder, and are willing to repeat themselves as often as possible anywhere they think they'll be heard. Also, look to see what Kawi's standard for posting a TSB might be. It might occur more frequently than it should, but almost everything out there has a TSB on something or other, and most owners never have the problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I suspected so Thanks kenDawg...After a good nights sleep on it, I figured these bogus websites I stumbled onto- are just that- BOGUS! I'm picking the bike up on Saturday and are seriously relieved I'll be getting what I expected- A nice reliable bike..I posted another that has the bogus statements... thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
saw your other thread on this... I dont think those sites are completely bogus... but I do think the recall is limited to a few specific VIN numbers.... and you should get this bikes VIN and run it at the KAWI site for this recall. It cannot hurt and if it is not there you are golden....

it will take less than five minutes.... make the dealer do it in front of you before you pay for the rest of it...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies. Def will be having the dealer do the check before anything...Plus I'm waiting for the west coast to wake up to call Kawa. I entered the vin# on the site, but since the bike hasn't been released to me yet (registered) I have to make this call...Let me tell ya finding this error or whatever has kept me burning up the keys to get a difinitive answer.
thanks again... Ill post my finding asap

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got word from kawa. The only recall on this bike is the tank...Yipee! This isn't the best news, but it's better than the assumption...other than the initial panic-all is good! thanks all for your insight

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have nothing useful to add regarding your post, But I wanted to say "welcome to the forums" and to tell you that your location "Jersey Shore (No Guido)" cracks me up... On Long Island we are infested with guidos too.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Just got word from kawa. The only recall on this bike is the tank...Yipee! This isn't the best news, but it's better than the assumption...other than the initial panic-all is good! thanks all for your insight
Did you get your bike yet? I looked at a 'left over' 900 over the weekend and plan to go back in the next day or so. I am curious as to what kind of deal you got, and what I can expect.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
40 Posts
remember kawasaki has a rebate on their website now not the bags 1 but the money 1 i think it is 2000 for the 09 vulcan 900 but check that it may only be 1000 good till march 31

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Tuckie453:) Don't worry they'll be heading my way come summer "Bennies go home"! Hey spring vulc...No I pick it up Saturday...and I paid 6100 for it, and thats with the rebate (1000) and saddle bags will be delivered via mail-so I'm told. Now understand, I paid cash to get that deal. So if you finance your not gettng any leverage. I got a personal loan from the bank and wrote a cashiers check (not a rich man-Just a working man) Anyway, Good luck!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Thanks Tuckie453:) Don't worry they'll be heading my way come summer "Bennies go home"! Hey spring vulc...No I pick it up Saturday...and I paid 6100 for it, and thats with the rebate (1000) and saddle bags will be delivered via mail-so I'm told. Now understand, I paid cash to get that deal. So if you finance your not gettng any leverage. I got a personal loan from the bank and wrote a cashiers check (not a rich man-Just a working man) Anyway, Good luck!
Cash...we don't believe in paying notes.
Do you have any more details? I cannot find anything that says exactly what the rebate is or anything other than 'some bikes have up to $2K in rebates'.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a little while. Now I was not only particular about price, I searched for black. There's all kinds of other 09's out there, but black was the hard find. I had to go 40 miles out of my way from at least 6 kawa dealers closer. Believe it or not...I found it on ebay and went to the dealer and dropped my deposit and they closed the auction.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
For a little while. Now I was not only particular about price, I searched for black. There's all kinds of other 09's out there, but black was the hard find. I had to go 40 miles out of my way from at least 6 kawa dealers closer. Believe it or not...I found it on ebay and went to the dealer and dropped my deposit and they closed the auction.
Can you check your messages? I will be going tomorrow and have a ton of questions...are you on any chats? MSN? AOL?

Rod

1 - 20 of 47 Posts