Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Bought the bike in last september from US and got delivered last week (UAE). I've already changed the battery with a brand new Yuasa 12-BS as this is considered to be the best in town (FYI, the one which was on the bike was a chinese made "bike master" brand) and done almost 100kms so far. But suddely today the bike dont start. When i put the key to "on" position it is showing red LED on oil alram, then when i put the red button to on position and press then start it just gives a "grrrrrr" sound and thaz it. No progress further. Also it gives a Fuel Injection red LED "on" along with the oil LED while i press the start button (the black one). I've already tried tightening the battering lead's screws and scratching the contacts to get better contact. But still no impovement.

Guys pealse help me in the right direction. Consider i am totally illeterate in such issues as i dont have much bike expreriance.:(

thanks,

cv

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Are you sure it is a good battery? Have you tried charging the battery

·
Registered
173 Posts
Since he's stated that he put in a "brand new Yuasa" it may not be thst but then again we don't know if it was brought wet or dry?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is 2006 900LT with 11K miles. Yes when I bought the battery,i found the battery and the battery water seperately, in followed the instruction from the factory. I did everything as mentioned in the write-up, except one things that after filling the battery water i kept those holes almost for 30 mnts as advised by the shop guy for better life.

Guys i did anything wrong?:confused:

What about the oil warning LED, the will not start if that thingis on?

Please help, because the local kawasaki guys are real stealers! I bought the battery at 75% of the stealres offer:eek:

thanks

cv

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
This is 2006 900LT with 11K miles. Yes when I bought the battery,i found the battery and the battery water seperately, in followed the instruction from the factory. I did everything as mentioned in the write-up, except one things that after filling the battery water i kept those holes almost for 30 mnts as advised by the shop guy for better life.

Guys i did anything wrong?:confused:

What about the oil warning LED, the will not start if that thingis on?

Please help, because the local kawasaki guys are real stealers! I bought the battery at 75% of the stealres offer:eek:

thanks

cv
Don't worry about the oil warning light. It will be lit as long as the engine is not running. Once you fire it up the red light will go out. Now for your new battery. Your new battery should have come with it's own battery fluid in a separate container that is specific for your battery. Is that what happened or did you buy the battery acid that was in someone's bucket or bottle? Regardless, the battery needed to be charged over night using a trickle charger or a smart charger. Simply starting the bike and running it for a while won't cut it. Try charging the battery on low amps and see if it will hold a charge. My experience here has been not to use the acid the shops have for their car batteries.
When you get it running you will need to verify the charging system is working properly. Find a friend that has a volt-ohm meter and knows how to use it. With the engine at a moderate RPM the meter should read somewhere around 14-14.5 VDC.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sojourner,

Actually i did add the same battery water supplied by Yuasa and followed all the instruction from them.
And I just forgot to tell you one important thing, i've got passing lamps. I know that the battery is rated for 10A. I had my ignition key on and my passing lamps "on" without having the engine started almost for 10mnts before i came across with this issue. So does it mean that battery got discharged completely due to that?:eek:
If so can i try recharging the battery with some other means or it is just a useless piece on my bike which i should throw away. (dont tell me that i just paid a 100$ a week ago for that thing).

BTW what is the current rating of the battery for you guys with an additional passing lamp setup(i mean which is not a OEM designed or fitted item)?

thanks,

cv

·
Registered
173 Posts
DO NOT JUMP START THE BIKE FROM A CAR BATTERY............
Unless you want more problems like blown fuses and other electronic parts.......

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Busboy thanks,

so what is the max current rating i can go with to jump start my 10A battery?

any idea:confused:

thanks

cv

·
Registered
173 Posts
Normal jumper cables will pump a lot of current into ur system. If u desperately need to jump start the bike, I wouldn't use cable much thicker than 6mm.
BUT I WOULD KEEP AN EYE/FEEL ON THE CABLE MAKING SURE IT DOESN'T GET TO HOT.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
thanks, much appreciated. will let you know on the way forward.

cv
The rule of thumb when jump starting a bike from a car or p/u is not have the engine running when you do. Current cannot be forced into a device like a starter motor or the ECM provided the voltage source matches the rating of the devices. Electrical components draw current as needed. If the motor of the car or truck is not running the battery's voltage is compatible with your bike's operating system. The safest thing to do is charge your new battery using a smart charger or a trickle charger (no fast charge) over night and try again in the morning.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
elec.

The rule of thumb when jump starting a bike from a car or p/u is not have the engine running when you do. Current cannot be forced into a device like a starter motor or the ECM, the devices draw current as needed. If the motor of the car or truck is not running the battery's voltage is compatible with your bike's operating system. The safest thing to do is charge your new battery using a smart charger or a trickle charger (no fast charge) over night and try again in the morning.
+1 Right On the money.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Normal jumper cables will pump a lot of current into ur system.
???????

Cables do not pump current. I do not know what you mean by this.
Any jumper cable will do unless they are made from lamp cord.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Be SURE and do a charging system voltage check or else do not ride any farther than you care to push home!
Post back if you need help with this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Removed the battery and gave it to the shop where i purchased it for charging. Let me see what happens.:)

tnx

cv

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Problem Solved

:D

Battery got charged again by the battery shop guy, and the bike is fantastic.

Thanks for all the replies and support.

:D:D:D

cv

·
Registered
698 Posts
???????

Cables do not pump current. I do not know what you mean by this.
Any jumper cable will do unless they are made from lamp cord.
A thin cable cannot pass enough current through the copper. Might be enough but size definately matters.

As for jumping off a car - if you really have to then make sure the car is not running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts