Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke briefly with Mutaza via phone and am sending a copy of this to their tech support for input as well.

Installed Mutazu RS bags, finally getting around to wiring the lights in.

Mounting, wire routing and location was no problem.

I've searched this forum as well as several other groups. The most helpful was this one Volusiariders
The VTXOA forum had something similar, also.

It seems the bag lights can be wired as running OR brake, but not both...

Here's what I know so far.

Each of the bags LED light panels has three wires.

Black-ground
Yellow-run (dim-resistor in line)
Blue-brake (bright-resistor bypassed?)

Vulcan 900 brakelight wires for the OEM 1157 incandescent
Black/yellow-ground
Blue/Red-run (dim)
Red-Brake (bright)

Wiring Diagram as tested

Function Bike Bag/LED's
Ground BK/Y BK
Run BL/Red Y
Brake Red Blue

Result: Run only, no LED intensity change when brake applied. If I pulled the run wire the LED stayed dark until brake applied (dim-not bright). (same as the guy on the Volusia forum)

I bought a replacement 1157 incandescent socket and bulb from AutoZone and test wired it. (run AND brake worked as expected)

Run/Turn/Brake on the bags would be cool, but don't feel like splicing into the turn wires right now...

I'm about ready to take the Dremel to each light assembly and install an 1157 incandescent socket/bulb combo (looks like it'll glue in with a little "persuasion").

Anybody have suggestions? I think the way the LED panel is wired/grounded is affecting this, is there a relay or circuit I could wire in?

BTW, I found 3 wire M/F trailer harness connectors, so when I get the wiring figured out, I'll have quick disconnects on the bags for easy removal.

Sorry for the novella, just trying to be thorough after a frustrating day in the garage...

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I have these bags also. I ran into the same thing. I finally gave up and just have brake lights.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have the mutazu mu bags, mine are set up as running lights and turn signals, i put a led bulb in my tail light with just sucked and went back to the stocker. I have had positive comments regarding the day light visibility of the bags, and no negitive comments about the set up at night. Im a RUBie, i had a shop do the wiring hook up for me. ( Im also a mechanical cluster .... and wanted them to work properly.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies/help!

Solved for now. :D

Bought 1157 sockets and bulbs from AutoZone. Drilled appropriate holes in the back of the bag and light housing. Spliced a pair of 3 wire trailer quick connects into the bike's run/brake wires and ran 1/4" split loom from bag to behind the license plate with matching connectors for ease of removing the bags.

Works and looks great! Run and brake lights with both bags now.

Took pictures throughout the install and will post a how to when I have time.

Eventually, I'll try to figure out how to make them turn signals, too. Looks like there's enough room to add a bulb. Of course, it would look pretty sweet with sequentials turn lights. Nevermind, this one was PITA enough. :cool:

There's probably a way to build a smart enough custom LED board and controller but I just didn't have the patience to learn how to build one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can find a diagram and wire it up yourself with a couple diodes if you're handy, or you need to buy a kit like this....

Clicky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts