Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone assist with helping me get my gas tank removed. I have an 09 Custom. I've already removed the speedo cover, speedo, air release valve near the speedo, and the two bolts near the seat. I can tilt the tank up and down but can't get it off. Am I missing a bolt somewhere. It feels like something is holding it down in the middle of the tank. Also I still have gas in the tank is there a way to drain the tank before removing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Attached to each side of the frame under the tank you have two round bushings about an inch in diameter, on the tank you have two C shaped receivers which slide over them. Unbolt the two rear bolts under the front of the seat raise the rear of the tank up a bit and wiggle left to right as you pull bak and it will soon release and allow you more room to reach everything else.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
There is also one electrical connector near where you disconnected the air hose at the front of the tank, and another one behind the coil cover on the left side of the bike. That connector has the type of release clip that you need to hold away from the connector (as opposed to the type where you pinch the tab against the connector) while pulling the connector apart. Use a very thin, flat blade screwdriver to work this locking tab. Finally, there is the fuel hose at the fuel pump, which is released by gently prying back the locking plastic tab on the hose until the tab pops back about 1/4", then removing the fuel hose from the pump. If you're not familiar with that type of gas line clip, stop at a local auto parts store and have them show you a gas filter that has that type clip installed and how it works before you break yours! Note how far the fuel hose is seated on the metal line, and make sure it is reseated the same amount when you're finished.
As Itclimb pointed out, the tank lifts up a couple of inches in the back, then wiggle the rear of the tank side to side about an inch or so while applying rearward pressure at the front of the tank. The tank slides straight rearward about 3 inches until it clears the rubber mounts, then lifts up. Each gallon of gas is about 7 1/2 pounds, plus the weight of the tank, so while it doesn't have to be empty, the less fuel in it the better. Set it down carefully on the grass or something soft to protect the fuel pump and gas outlet tube.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is also one electrical connector near where you disconnected the air hose at the front of the tank, and another one behind the coil cover on the left side of the bike. That connector has the type of release clip that you need to hold away from the connector (as opposed to the type where you pinch the tab against the connector) while pulling the connector apart. Use a very thin, flat blade screwdriver to work this locking tab. Finally, there is the fuel hose at the fuel pump, which is released by gently prying back the locking plastic tab on the hose until the tab pops back about 1/4", then removing the fuel hose from the pump. If you're not familiar with that type of gas line clip, stop at a local auto parts store and have them show you a gas filter that has that type clip installed and how it works before you break yours! Note how far the fuel hose is seated on the metal line, and make sure it is reseated the same amount when you're finished.
As Itclimb pointed out, the tank lifts up a couple of inches in the back, then wiggle the rear of the tank side to side about an inch or so while applying rearward pressure at the front of the tank. The tank slides straight rearward about 3 inches until it clears the rubber mounts, then lifts up. Each gallon of gas is about 7 1/2 pounds, plus the weight of the tank, so while it doesn't have to be empty, the less fuel in it the better. Set it down carefully on the grass or something soft to protect the fuel pump and gas outlet tube.
Wow!!! I couldn't ask for more, thank you so so much and thank you Itclimb as well. It's great to have people that are willing to help others, makes doing work on my bike so much easier, nice not to have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks again!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts