Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a intermittent random 'stalling' problem that has two ways to describe it Bike standard

1. It feels like I have dirty fuel or a faulty fuel pump - I can ride any distance, speed, gear as normal then out of the blue the motor starts to slow sometimes with a cough or two if I try to ride through it it continues to pull the bike up until I pull in the clutch and rev it hard a couple of times its gone for any random distance time again. sometime sounds a bit rough in the engine note.

2. The same issue but it could be said the brakes are on and trying to pull the bike to a stop. If I pull the clutch in the engine revs freely, but on release it is still stalling. However when I do this and the bike is coasting it is not slowing rapidly down as you would expect if the brakes were being applied. If I pull the clutch in and rev to around 5-6 the problem goes away until next time.

My thoughts to date are
1. fuel or fuel pump
2. K-act system operating brakes on their own but the Bike not slowing rapidly when allow to coast seems to discount this
3. Faulty leads, Regulators black boxes etc.
4. :confused:change of fluids due could old fluid be causing something
5. Engine oil from the pollution hose on top of the heads running back into the air box

I don't know where to start and before I take it to a stealer I was trying to narrow it down a little

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
To really tell if it's the breaks you would need to raise the bike off the floor and rotate the wheels by hand.
I see you don't have a fuel mod, so it's stock. One of the easiest things to do is to reset the ECU. Just disconnect the battery for about a minute and then reconnect. Meanwhile, I will be trying to think of something else.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Kick stand switch maybe shorting out, cutting ignition. Vibrations from bike making it think the stand is down. Also check wires from ignition under the tank, any chafing?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all so far I have taken tank off and emptied strained and looked for dirt water nothing all good

I had already fixed the ignition wiring but a week ago did find chafing on the three wires coming from the fuel pump/filter. The wires had become bare where it was rubbing on the tank but I have fixed this and now all good

I will try the Kick stand switch later today and I have checked most connections I can get too.

I was wondering if the ECU could be sending false signals to the brake fluid pump (ABS KAct) it so it wouldn't necessarily affect the engine eg when it is happening if I pull the Clutch in the engine revs freely.

I don't know 2009 / 52000 kilometers

·
Registered
138 Posts
i would try a new set of spark plugs as you may have a break down in them , i had similar fault after fitting new exhaust and didnt have the o2 eliminator ( we need it in ozz) and it fuelled the plugs causing stalling and flat spotting 2 new plugs and it took off .

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ecu reset failed to achieve anything. I replaced the plugs with my old ones still had. 25000 km's didn't make any difference. I only replaced the originals because I noted to not because I needed to

Ecu reset nothing

So this evening I spent a couple of hours pulling every plug, wire, fuses and spraying with contact cleaner in case there was some build up causing an intermittent problem. Will ride tomorrow to check.

When it happened again today after thirty Kms I gave both brakes a hit in case they were being applied by the Kact system made no difference until I gave engine a small rev

The section in the service manual talks about cruise speed stalling but aside from fuel starvation and various relay checks offered nothing overly concrete

One issue kept cropping up though was various components or performance of the fuel pump misbehaving only solution offered was "replace fuel pump".

As members from the states know this is around $500 USD that would mean kawasaki Australia will want close to a thousand so I'm hoping it's not that

Still looking any thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 09,10, and maybe the 11s had a recall on the ECUs because of stalling. Has yours been done? If not, its possible it may not cost you anything, or at least slpit the cost somehow since it may be out of warranty now. Your dealer should be able to run the VIN and tell you.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure the 09,10, and maybe the 11s had a recall on the ECUs because of stalling. Has yours been done? If not, its possible it may not cost you anything, or at least slpit the cost somehow since it may be out of warranty now. Your dealer should be able to run the VIN and tell you.
It was done under the recall so that is taken care.

(personally I think the ecu still has issues but Kawa don't as nothing shows on their testing)

Having added a couple of things and rejoined wiring loom wires I was wondering if their might be a breakdown in one of the joins. They have never played up before.

1. Air Temp sensor in the Air box
2. Engine to speedo wire that runs through the ecu for a speedohealer
3, The constant power wire into the fan relay for a manual override switch

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to two dealers today. Both seemed to think it would be simple and electrical in source

The Kawa one felt finding it would be straight forward but any electrical part would cost an arm and leg. Eg fuel pump around $500 USD is over a $1000 aud. so not looking forward to that

However my local Honda Suzuki mechanic described it perfectly as "does it feel like the kill switch turned on?". Answer yes. He said sounds like it is leaning out. Suggested checking the battery wasn't overcharging through a faulty regulator and instead of paying heaps on Kawa parts just put on a commander power pro. Which should fix the leaning out and provide other benefits.

He said it has happened on a few fuel injected models he has worked on and the pc fixes it

As well I rode over 160km today after spraying everything plug etc with no issues

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
If sidestand switch becomes intermittent, it will cut interlock term to ECU. Pulling clutch handle bypasses sidestand switch and restores ECU.

Power Commander, at best, will cover up a problem, and at worst, will do nothing for the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts