Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new speedometer face and back lights on my VN2000 and have to disconnect the speedometer. Do I have to remove my gas tank to do it? I have already taken the chrome nacale for the speedometer off and don't know if the wire that plugs into the back of the speedometer can be unplugged or if you have to disconnect it some other place. It looks like it plugs into a circuit board but I don't want to force it and break it.
Thanks,
Klink

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
It wraps up under the tank and is held in place with a few "tabs". You need to take the tank off.

it's SUPER easy.

Do a forum search here in the Vulcan 2000 section for tank removal.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1.

Tank removal sounds really intimidating, but go for a ride; run it down to close to E; and it takes a few minutes. Put a towel down so you don't scuff the paint underneath (you don't want it to rust!) and while you're there; give it a quick look. Some have noticed little bits of rust underneath the tank. If you find it, I'd sand off the rust and brush on some good automotive primer or something (or spray on but make sure you don't get overspray)

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
It really is VERY easy to take the tank off.

Once you do it a few times, you will be able to take the tank off in only a few minutes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It really is VERY easy to take the tank off.

Once you do it a few times, you will be able to take the tank off in only a few minutes.
+1

Just do better than I did the first time and make sure the tank is not full. :eek:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't mind too much if there's gas in the tank. It drips a little, but not too much, and the weight isn't too awful bad.

My problem seems to be that I usually forget something and have to take it off again. Grrrr.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I don't mind too much if there's gas in the tank. It drips a little, but not too much, and the weight isn't too awful bad.

My problem seems to be that I usually forget something and have to take it off again. Grrrr.
bb's, so do you have that problem getting dressed in the morning, things out of sequence?:rolleyes: hey, been ther dun that. poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It's practically a daily occurrence. I especially hate it when I get my underwear on the outside of my pants.
so now you'r a fashion trend setter.?:eek: a Madonna in heels,, er I mean on wheels!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts