Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ay started oil change. Drain oil...no problem. Now can't get oil filler cap off to refill. I do not have the "special" tool.

Does it screw on?...snap on?

Any suggestions be grateful!

Frank

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay...that's what i thought but it doesn't move at all....need to go eat some spinach i think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ordered a replacement crome cap from ebay. The stock filler cap takes a special slotted tool. I used a pipe wrench and threw away the old cap. I think the cost was around $25 with shipping. By the way turn the cap to the left counter clockwise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a open ended wrench from my sons scooter tool kit. Was perfect width. Came right off. Thanks for help.

Frank

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try the end of the shock spanner in the toolkit - the part you slide the handle on. I have also used a money clip - does not leave a scar on the plastic cap...... (twist it with a pair of pliers)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sorry I misspoke. I purchased the chrome filler cap for 8.95 plus shipping. The problem was what you are having a gorilla at the dealership put the stock cap on. I attempted some of the above. The new cap looks much better.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Someone had robbed the toolkit outta the bike by the time I got it, so no spanner. Had to improvise. A 50c piece fits perfectly and if a little tight a small cresent wrench across Kennedy will do the job.

I think another type of cap is a much better option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up a long gasket scraper at Harbor Freight for $2.98. A little grinding and I had a perfect fit tool for removing the fill plug.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm always amazed with this forum. It seems whenever I have a question, someone always asks it first before i can. This has happened several times to me. Anyway, I was wanting to do my first oil change and thought I would try to get the cap off before getting started. Yeap, same problem. I could not budge the cap and was ready to post a "how do ya" thread on the forum. Glad someone already beat me to it. :) Good info. I was nervous about scratching up the cap getting it loose. Good to know if I booger it up, a replacement won't cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I picked up a long gasket scraper at Harbor Freight for $2.98. A little grinding and I had a perfect fit tool for removing the fill plug.
+1

I got a piece of metal close to the thickness of the slot and ground it to size. Held the metal bit with some vicegrips and voila!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Hulk must have owned my bike before me, I had to use an Estwing pry bar with a 90degree bend in it. It fit the slot perfect, no marring....worked like a charm.

·
Registered
976 Posts
They sell alternative ones on Ebay all day. I originally bought one that said Vulcan on it. Vulcan was upside down though AND it wasn't the easiest thing to unscrew so I bought one with a single tang on the top which is always easy to take off and doesn't look like it's upside down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a flat tip screwdriver in mine, and put some vise grips on the screwdriver and turned it broke loose and came off easy, remember counter clockwise, good luck hope this helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great idea!

If you cannot locate a large washer to fit the slot turn the bike upside down and fill via the drain hole.
Im glad i wasn't the only one thinking of doing this, it will work but make sure you drain the gas from the fuel tank,and remove the backrest,and use a blanket to keep your grips and levers from being scuffed up. plus the sight glass is much eaiser to see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts