Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1600 nomad, that is not turning over. The battery was dead from sitting over the winter. I also had a fairing with radio and GPS, which I plan on replacing so I removed it and the radio and GPS, and all the wiring from the bike that had anything to do with the fairing. The only thing not stock now is a horn and the cobra Fuel management which I did not touch.

I installed a new battery. The thing is now the bike will not start. It turns over but will not run.
This is what I did so far:
turn key. the hear the whine of what i believe to be the full pump, the speedometer goes to max speed and back to zero. The gas pump light goes on then off, the FI light goes on and stays on. hit the push start and it try's to start by does not. If I keep pushing the start button I think I can hear clicking from the battery area but not sure.
Reading from the battery are:
across the battery 12.48
turn key 12.28
leaving key on after 5 mins 12.20
turn key off wait 5 mins 12.41
SO, what do I do next and how? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you leave the kill switch in the stop engine position? I used to do that with my one bike then thought you dummy turn the kill switch back to run.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the kill switch but it is where it should be. thanks anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you treat the gas when you put it up for the winter? You may need to add some fresh high octane gas and try it again. Can't think of any other reason why it won't crank up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you treat the gas when you put it up for the winter? You may need to add some fresh high octane gas and try it again. Can't think of any other reason why it won't crank up.
Yes the gas was treated but I will drain it out and add new gas.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pull the plugs and see if they are fuel soaked.

Post back with results.
not fuel soaked, clean a little black but ok, it was wet 2 or 3 threads down from where it screws in. now i just noticed on the rear pipe at the engine gasket it was wet, dripped down looks like oil, who knows? I am not going to get into new gaskets for the exhaust now. Have to get it to start 1st. It could be fuel from not starting? I just don't know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I go to the garage this AM and hit the starter and she starts, running for about a min then I turn her off. waited 1 min hit the starter and she fires again, shut her off. waited 1 min, hit the starter goes back to not firing... so maybe its the battery or old gas? something else?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Immediately after a no-start, pull the plugs and check for fuel soak.
Ok I removed most of the old gas, replaced it with new 93. Hit the starter no start. Checked the plug, wet. should I replace the battery? it is new but maybe its no good.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK still not firing. But I was looking around and found that the Cobra FI2000 had one wire going to a red wire (which also had a wire going to a auxiliary fuse box, that had a blown fuss), opening it up the wire was not hooked so I removed all the wires and hooked them the factory way. I removed the FI2000 from the bike, just took all the wires that hooked into it and made sure the factory wires where still good and taped it all up. I also removed the auxiliary fuss box from the bike (it ran the spot lights that I was going to remove anyway). So that is all done. I checked all the fusses they are all good. I also removed the right side K and N air filter and replaced it with the stock cover. I will have to get a battery to replace my new battery Monday. I also replaced the old gas with new 93. I also fixed the rear exhaust pipe that was leaking. Is there anything I am missing or should do while I am waiting for the new battery?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I got the new battery had the guy check the old (new too) battery and he said it was good, but I got a new one anyway. Installed the battery and same, did not fire. Now I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
OK, could you do this:

1. Pull and clean/dry all plugs.
2. Remove DFI fuse. Check owners manual for location.
3. Key on, crank engine over a dozen or so times.
4. Replace plugs and fuse.
5. Pull out cold start knob. It will be easier at first and then get tougher. Pull out about 1/2 way into tough region.
6. Do not touch throttle. Try and start engine.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, could you do this:

1. Pull and clean/dry all plugs.
2. Remove DFI fuse. Check owners manual for location.
3. Key on, crank engine over a dozen or so times.
4. Replace plugs and fuse.
5. Pull out cold start knob. It will be easier at first and then get tougher. Pull out about 1/2 way into tough region.
6. Do not touch throttle. Try and start engine.

Post back with results.
I went out to the bike and did nothing. I said try and start it, check the plugs and spark then your check list. I hit the starter and the bike started and fired right up. I ran it for 20 mins, checked everything lights, horn etc everything was working. shut her off, waited 5 min. started again fine run for 2 mins. shut her off. She seems fine now. I don't know how or why but think maybe she was just flooded and letting her sit fixed that. Thanks for all your help. I will try starting her later today. and post back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is the FI light out when running?
Yes the light is out. I went over anything on the bike running and turned off. I changed the oil and filter too, looked fine. Bike is running 100%. Will start my maintenance/service tomorrow and put her back together and test ride. Thank you and all the members here for all your help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm guessing you had old (bad) fuel in the fuel lines and running it longer (20 minutes) helped get rid of the old stuff. Sounds like you'll be fine now. Now go do some riding!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts