Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2001 Vulcan 750 as my first motorcycle from a private owner this past october. I have ridden it as often as possible since then, including for my daily commute to work, weather allowing. I wintered the bike in a heated garage until a month ago. The previous owner had left it mostly stock, but had replaced the pipes with aftermarket jardines.

I stopped at a local bike shop with the bike a few weeks ago, that specializes in metric bikes... an employee who I have done a lot of business with ran the bike and mentioned that it is probably running lean... I left it with the mechanic for diagnosis, and he verified that it was running very lean (which probably explains cold weather starting problems I had had with it that winter), and further mentioned that there was an odd clicking noise coming from the front cylinder head, which he said sounded like a collapsed HLA or a loose cam chain adjuster. Over the past two weeks, they removed and cleaned the carbs, readjusted the fuel mixture screws, shimmed the needle, and replaced the mains to 138s from 132s. He gave it a test run and it was running much more smoothly. The clicking noise remained, but he said there was little he could do without further breaking the bike apart, and that it was probably harmless for now and that I should ride it a bit to see if the valve unclogs.

It started immediately at the place, and I rode it home... the throttle did indeed run more smoothly. However, when I got to my neighborhood and slowed down, the idle speed suddenly dropped to 500 rpm from 1100, and the engine nearly stalled. I stopped it at my house and restarted it. The idle was low, and when I revved it up, it felt underpowered until it hit around 3k... when I let go of the throttle, it dropped, floated around 2k a while, and then returned down to 500-1000. I also smelled raw gas in the air.

I called the shop, the guy came over with a trailer, and when I ran it for him he said that the front cylinder was not firing, that it sounded mechanical, and that I should be prepared for news that the bike is totaled. Any ideas???

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I hope that he at least pulled the spark plugs before he made his diagnosis because I am betting one is fuel fouled and that is the reason for the mis-fire.
It very well could be a carb problem as they were just worked on.
The tapping is probably a cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes... he both pulled the plugs, and installed diagnostic plugs into the bike before taking out the carbs.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I guess it is in his hands now, but the tapping could be cam chain tensioners which are not a big deal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello unclebadass,

sfair is right about the spark plug. It could have become fouled either too much gas or not enough?? How clean was the air filter?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2001 Vulcan 750 as my first motorcycle from a private owner this past october. I have ridden it as often as possible since then, including for my daily commute to work, weather allowing. I wintered the bike in a heated garage until a month ago. The previous owner had left it mostly stock, but had replaced the pipes with aftermarket jardines.

I stopped at a local bike shop with the bike a few weeks ago, that specializes in metric bikes... an employee who I have done a lot of business with ran the bike and mentioned that it is probably running lean... I left it with the mechanic for diagnosis, and he verified that it was running very lean (which probably explains cold weather starting problems I had had with it that winter), and further mentioned that there was an odd clicking noise coming from the front cylinder head, which he said sounded like a collapsed HLA or a loose cam chain adjuster. Over the past two weeks, they removed and cleaned the carbs, readjusted the fuel mixture screws, shimmed the needle, and replaced the mains to 138s from 132s. He gave it a test run and it was running much more smoothly. The clicking noise remained, but he said there was little he could do without further breaking the bike apart, and that it was probably harmless for now and that I should ride it a bit to see if the valve unclogs.

It started immediately at the place, and I rode it home... the throttle did indeed run more smoothly. However, when I got to my neighborhood and slowed down, the idle speed suddenly dropped to 500 rpm from 1100, and the engine nearly stalled. I stopped it at my house and restarted it. The idle was low, and when I revved it up, it felt underpowered until it hit around 3k... when I let go of the throttle, it dropped, floated around 2k a while, and then returned down to 500-1000. I also smelled raw gas in the air.

I called the shop, the guy came over with a trailer, and when I ran it for him he said that the front cylinder was not firing, that it sounded mechanical, and that I should be prepared for news that the bike is totaled. Any ideas???
How did you come out my 750 has been making ticking noises.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
the self-adjusting CCTs on those bikes usually give up the ghost around 16-20k...but if it dumped a cam chain, you wouldn't have gotten it home, so I'm betting it's not that. Hopefully it's ignition or something else easily remedied.

·
Registered
553 Posts
the self-adjusting CCTs on those bikes usually give up the ghost around 16-20k...but if it dumped a cam chain, you wouldn't have gotten it home, so I'm betting it's not that. Hopefully it's ignition or something else easily remedied.
I found the problem it was the ACCT. I removed each one and checked them out one seemed to be ok but the other was sticky. I sprayed it with wd 40 and worked it until it slid in and out smoothly. Reinstalled it and the bike runs smoothly and now ticking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts