Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me again how graphics should not be a deciding factor in buying a helmet? I'm deciding between an EXO700 and EXO400. From Sharp Testing the 700 is safer, the 700 uses more comfortable material in the liner, noise and ventilation seems to be subjective but sway towards the 700 AND it's cheaper ($110 for the 700 vs $160 for the 400, ones I'm looking at). But dammit the graphics on the 400 is just "callin' me". Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with the 700. It's just calling me.

I'm hoping to catch a sale for an rf1100 (it fits so much better, and I have one picked out) at the end of the season and use this as a backup or passenger when my skills catch up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If both are New(and I hope so I can't condone buying a used helmet) They are both fine helmets its not like you are looking at a novelty half helmet or a decent full face. Both are going to do the job just fine. Go with the one you like the most. If you don't like the gear you won't wear it. Get the most comfortable and better looking one that you will actually like to wear. You really can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If both are New(and I hope so I can't condone buying a used helmet) They are both fine helmets its not like you are looking at a novelty half helmet or a decent full face. Both are going to do the job just fine. Go with the one you like the most. If you don't like the gear you won't wear it. Get the most comfortable and better looking one that you will actually like to wear. You really can't go wrong with either.
Yes both of them are new. I agree with never buying a used helmet. Comfort would be the 700, I know that should be first, in fact everything is pointing me to the 700. The 400 is just a couple notches better looking to me. That's where I'm stuck. Not a big deal in the big scheme of things. But I get stuck on stuff like this.

·
Banned
334 Posts
When it comes to helmets, comfort is everything.

You can't see the graphics when you're wearing it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a RF100 (old design) and I like it a lot. I forget the certification, but it's a lot better than a generic DOT sticker that says "you have a cereal bowl strapped to your head". I figure good safety gear is cheap insurance that I'll hopefully never have to use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Answer

So I bought the EXO400. I really couldn't find anything I liked in the 700. I'm excited about it, I got the skull bucket. It may be a little snug but not painful after having it on for about 10 minutes in the store. My main complaint is the material of the liner that feels a little rough on my shaven head, so I'll be wearing a moisture wicking skull cap, problem solved.
My plan now is to watch for the rf1100 price to drop, probably at the end of the summer. The rf1100 was not much different then any of the Arai's. Both were so much more comfortable then anything else I tried. The rf1100 I have picked out is the complete package to me, graphics, comfort and safety rating. Just a little pricey right now.
The master plan is to eventually have the exo as a secondary helmet and the rf1100 as my primary. If it works out I'll have both for the cost of buying just the rf1100 right now. Then I have two helmets I get excited about seeing and being in, while saving a bit of money. This is what normal folk have to do to combat inflation.

I'm new to riding and will not be doing highway or anything aggressive for a while so the EXO400 is perfect for what I'm doing right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the new brain bucket :) You'll love the RF1100 when you pick one up, it's a fantastically comfortable helmet, even with a shaved head. I bought mine with the Merciless graphics when they had a mild sale at Cycle Gear, and I've clocked a couple thousand miles with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts